• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    A power outage and/or a SHTF situation leaving everyone with zero lighting shows how visual our senses are oriented. Even reaching to touch something is aided by reaching the right direction.

Those little solar powered accent lights which are so dim they can almost go un-noticed in the yard suddenly become beacons in a totally dark home.

Even one or two in bright windows where they charge during the day become unobtrusive accent lights when power is present and become "find it" lights in the event of a sudden power failure. Enough to keep you from falling over a footstool or the dog and look in a drawer for a flashlight and a candle. Several grouped together make a more usable light.

I'm partial to dual use things that are always where you can find them when you need them.

You will probably have to premake or adapt something as a pedestal for them to stand upright, but that's a minor consideration.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Interesting idea. I'd want some that have HI/LO switches on them. I know some models out there have a dual mode so they can burn brighter for a shorter period of time or dimmer for a longer period of time. Both modes would come in handy, but at different times. Sometimes a low glow is all that is needed just so you don't trip over the sleeping dog. Other times it would be handy to have a bit of higher output while you are trying to fix something, look into a dark cabinet, etc.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Thank you. I had not considered using them indoors. Now I have a use for the extras that were never "installed" outside!

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Holy smokes! I have these all over in my gardens, it just never occurred to me to use 'em when the power is out. I am a pretty resourceful person but really appreciate this tip. Thanks.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a good idea, same with keeping a bunch of flashlights, lanterns & headlamps scattered around the house, on top of things like oil lamps & a ton of candles.

Speaking of which I thought our power was going to go out last night, during the storms we had a lightning strike hit the lamp post directly across the street from us, man it freaking LOUD, sounded like an explosion, anyway it fried the lamp but thankfully it did not seem to effect anything else.

I was wearing a headlamp on my head the whole night to which I recieved that "you're such a dork" look from the wife, but hey at least I wouldn't have been fumbling around in the dark if the power had gone out.

Top Bottom