• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I see many threads about all the "survival" skills you need but I never seen someone talking about skills in languages.
    I travel in different countries and in a survival situation I may end up in a group of people where not everybody speaks the same language.
    That can also happen where you live even if you dont travel you may have to deal with people who dont speak your native language.
    Maybe they had to move from another country because of a disaster.
    Maybe you are the one who had to move.
    Maybe its just a group of tourists who happen to be with you during a disaster or an emergency situation.

How do you feel comfortable making a plan and talking with individuals than do not speak your native language?

I was talking about that with a friend who doesnt speak a word of english, we still managed to talk about our preparation plans, our EDCs and such without any problem.
    I can read surival manuals in a couple of different languages and learned a lot that way.Different cultures have different ways of seeing the same thing.

Even if you are not fluent can you speak, read and write in a language other than your native language?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I see many threads about all the "survival" skills you need but I never seen someone talking about skills in languages.
    I travel in different countries and in a survival situation I may end up in a group of people where not everybody speaks the same language.
    That can also happen where you live even if you dont travel you may have to deal with people who dont speak your native language.
    Maybe they had to move from another country because of a disaster.
    Maybe you are the one who had to move.
    Maybe its just a group of tourists who happen to be with you during a disaster or an emergency situation.

How do you feel comfortable making a plan and talking with individuals than do not speak your native language?

I was talking about that with a friend who doesnt speak a word of english, we still managed to talk about our preparation plans, our EDCs and such without any problem.
    I can read surival manuals in a couple of different languages and learned a lot that way.Different cultures have different ways of seeing the same thing.

Even if you are not fluent can you speak, read and write in a language other than your native language?

I can speak ENGLISH, SPANISH, & EBONICS:D:laugh:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    My ex got a Rosetta Stone education in Arabic before his last "vacation" We thought, at the time, it'd be funny if I learned it too and we could have discussions in Arabic in front of other people..

RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    The Military gets Rosetta Stone for free. I did Spanish in high school and now I'm doing French and German. Not at the same time though.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Easy to pick up languages when you are a kid but I doubt I could get very far these days. My mother was French and I lived on the left coast when i first came to the US, so Spanish was a necessity.

Talking with neighbors while growing up accounts for the others. I could probably say "can I hunt baboons here?" in more languages than I can recall.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Easy to pick up languages when you are a kid but I doubt I could get very far these days. My mother was French and I lived on the left coast when i first came to the US, so Spanish was a necessity.

Talking with neighbors while growing up accounts for the others. I could probably say "can I hunt baboons here?" in more languages than I can recall.

That's cool. :yesway:
    Yeah the sooner you start the easier it is, I had my first english class at age 11 I think.
    My native language is french.I learned english and german in middle school and highschool.Then in college I kept english and added portuguese to the list.
    Im just really fluent in english and french (both languages than I speak, read and write everyday at a native level) but I do understand most of the latin languages like spanish, italian and portuguese.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i took 4 years of german in high school and became quite good at it....was planning on going to germany for student exchange program senior year but parents wouldnt sign off on it.....the 6 years since high school i havent used german much at all so im forgetting a lot of it. id like to get rosetta stone or something similar and brush up on it. grandpa on dads side was born in germany in 1918, family left when nazi's came to power, then joined army to fight him....german language not real practical for indiana or even the country, but i like it a heck of a lot better than spanish

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    i took 4 years of german in high school and became quite good at it....was planning on going to germany for student exchange program senior year but parents wouldnt sign off on it.....the 6 years since high school i havent used german much at all so im forgetting a lot of it. id like to get rosetta stone or something similar and brush up on it. grandpa on dads side was born in germany in 1918, family left when nazi's came to power, then joined army to fight him....german language not real practical for indiana or even the country, but i like it a heck of a lot better than spanish

You're going to have to learn SPANISH when obama opens the border:D

Top Bottom