• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for posting this. If this is a home invasion that turned bad for the invader, I'm glad the home owner decided to take matters into his/her own hands and defend his/her family and property.

rugerfan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    laporte county
    Since this being in my County I wonder how the sheriff's department is going to handle the shooter as well. I thought this falls under the stand your ground or the castle doctrine law. If this is a true home invasion +1 for home owner.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    "For anybody that’s looking to break into homes, whether it be a burglary or a home invasion, it makes an area desirable to people because you can't see the home from the road. As you pass the driveway, you can get a glimpse of it, and that's about it,” Sheriff Mollenhauer remarked.

I wonder if the sheriff is trying to drum up business.:):

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    The homeowner has/will be interviewed. That is standard investigative technique. The entire investigation will be completed, and then submitted to the Prosecutor's Office for review. Once that is done, the Prosecutor should submit a letter in writing to the Sheriff's Office declining charges, if appropriate.

For those of you who think that the police show up, look things over quickly, and then say "you're good", you are wrong on many levels. Remember, this case is a homicide, and the facts found during the investigation will either prove or disprove justification. If the facts show that the homeowner acted in a justified manner, a rational decision of justifiable homicide will be determined. This case will be scrutinized as any other homicide would. If the facts support the action and statement of the homeowner, then common sense should prevail. An extensive investigation should be conducted so as to prove the homeowner correct, and prevent further legal/civil complications later for the homeowner.

For those of you who would demand the "Castle Doctrine" apply here, just remember that just because our law specifically states that no one should suffer any legal trouble if found to have acted in a justified manner, that does not mean some LTWS "personal injury" type attorney would not make the attempt to recover damages on behalf of the estate of the decedent. Not all (or I would argue most) bottom feeding attorneys read our Indiana Code as law. Sometimes they think that our Indiana Code is a book of suggestions. On a personal note, I fully agree with our adoption of the "Castle Doctrine."

Also, the homeowner was not taken into custody. He was transported to the LaPorte County Sheriff's Office for an interview. He also declined to speak with the press, which in my estimation, is a wise decision. The LaPorte County Sheriff's Office was getting the "full court press" from the media at the time. I would submit that a lot of the drivel mentioned in the media is speculation, and not necessarily fact.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Never bring a hatchet to a gunfight. Good on the homeowner.

Top Bottom