Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Your right it does have the potential for abuse, and I am sure as long as its been around...I think sometime in the mid 80's? I am sure it has been abused. When used correctly it is an excellent tool.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Herein lies the rub. Find me a way to absolutely guarantee that this and other tools for the good of the people will be used only for the good of the people with absolute respect for their individual rights and I will support the use of those tools without reservation. Until then, I think there needs to be significant oversight to ensure that when those tools are abused and misused, there is a penalty that will not simply be the proverbial slap on the wrist, presuming any penalty at all is even assigned.

I think that allowing those who trespass upon those rights to be held personally responsible for their actions would be a good start. For lack of a better analogy, if you don't violate peoples' rights, you have nothing to fear from such a policy/law, right? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    All right, I'm gonna have to back the Po-Po up on this one. Someone calls in a potential fire, police show up first, they see smoke coming out of the door when they arrive, they rush in (at potential peril to their lives), find the man sitting on the couch and he doesn't respond to "get out, there's a fire", he pulls a sword and begins threatening the officers....yeah your butt gets tazed.

This isn't an ego issue, this isn't someone getting beaten up for standing up for their rights, this isn't power-hungry JBT roaming the streets accosting people. This IS the police acting to save someone that, from all apparent evidences, was in mortal danger. He then proceeded to attack them.

+1 for the Po-Po

Noooooooooooooooot quite.

Let's stick with the facts here, because there is some fog around this story for some reason. The man was burning some papers, which burned themselves out without any help from the police or fire department before the firemen even got there.

He wasn't swinging the sword around at the cops like a mad man when they entered. In fact, he had it concealed from the police. They didn't notice the sword (which was in its sheath) until they moved the man's blanket. Then, as cops always do, they moved in for the kill. The man was holding a sword...weird, but not criminal IN YOUR OWN ******* HOME!

The police tried to grab the sword away from the man, although there was no emergency, since the fire died out on its own and the man still wasn't threatening them with it. UNTIL one of the officers lets go of the sword and offensively goes to draw his taser. THEN the man takes the sword out of its sheath and points it at the intruder, self defense. Then he gets tased.

Sounds like normal police business to me. They broke into someone's home who wasn't in harm and didn't cause harm, of course disarmed him (for their safety in his private property :rolleyes:) tased him, arrested him, and held him for psych evaluation. :noway: :noway: :noway:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    A slight rehash before my comments:
    Police said Thompson was sitting on a couch with a blanket draped over his right hand.
    He refused commands to show his hands. So one of the deputies removed the blanket and in Thompson's right hand was the handle of a sword.
    It was being held in such a way that the blade was behind the man's back, police said.
    According to police, Hicks grabbed the handle of the sword while Ott grabbed both the man's hand and the blade, which was covered by a scabbard.
    During a struggle, Hicks in his report said Thompson refused to obey commands to let go of the sword as he and Ott tried to maintain control of the weapon....

So, the guy wasn't asleep and refused the police commands to show his hands. Interesting point. How did it go from "Get out, there's a fire" to "show me your hands"? What aren't we being told?
    The sword started out sheathed. Anybody here practice with a sword? I practice with a Katana (roughly 33"), and the only thing holding the sword in the scabbard is friction, and not a lot of that. They are not positive retention devices. So when officer one has his hand on the perps' hand, and officer two has hold of the scabbard it is very likely that, during a struggle, the short sword came out of the scabbard without intentionally being drawn.
    In actuality there is not enough information given to know what happened, let alone whether it was a good thing or not.
    Oh, IIRC, springville has some pretty densely wooded areas, so him burning his house down could have a very severe negative impact on the community even though, depending on where he is exactly, the houses are pretty far apart.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Noooooooooooooooot quite.

Let's stick with the facts here, because there is some fog around this story for some reason. The man was burning some papers, which burned themselves out without any help from the police or fire department before the firemen even got there.

He wasn't swinging the sword around at the cops like a mad man when they entered. In fact, he had it concealed from the police. They didn't notice the sword (which was in its sheath) until they moved the man's blanket. Then, as cops always do, they moved in for the kill. The man was holding a sword...weird, but not criminal IN YOUR OWN ******* HOME!

The police tried to grab the sword away from the man, although there was no emergency, since the fire died out on its own and the man still wasn't threatening them with it. UNTIL one of the officers lets go of the sword and offensively goes to draw his taser. THEN the man takes the sword out of its sheath and points it at the intruder, self defense. Then he gets tased.

Sounds like normal police business to me. They broke into someone's home who wasn't in harm and didn't cause harm, of course disarmed him (for their safety in his private property :rolleyes:) tased him, arrested him, and held him for psych evaluation. :noway: :noway: :noway:

I'm not sure what article all of your are reading or perhaps an update to the original article I posted has been made but lashicoN got the events of what occured per the article right.

The man was not asleep, was not harming anyone, was burning paper inside is own home when the police arrived he did not threath them. He told them he did not want to leave his house. They took his blanket away and then saw a sword in a sheath. It was at that point when police were going to use force to remove him from his house that the man grabbed his sword to point it at them.

What right did the police have to remove him from his house when he had done nothing wrong (to the point of using the sword)? Even after pointing the sword at them. Does he not have the right to use a weapon to kick someone off his property whom he did not invite?

Change it up. If police walk into my house and I don't want to leave me house can they by force take me when I have done nothing wrong? :dunno:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    At this point is where it went sour. Had he simply been passed out drunk, he could have just been awakened and been led out. Instead, he came up with the drawn sword,

i dont think he did,,,the story looks made up

and even if he did---which he didnt---its proof hes fine and proof the cops can leave...

as soon as the cops see him moving,,,its time for them to get out the door...

the storys bs,,,anyway,,,they shot him in the back,,,

I have to say (from personal experience) I have great difficulty leaving someone to die when I have the capability to do something to prevent it.

shooting him with a taser is a pretty quick way to kill someone... dont fall under lifesaving to me...

from the story---The man didn't drop the sword until he was stunned with the Taser.--- good thing he didnt fall on it... real smart,,,cops...

i read the whole story...its complete bs

not sure how much i can quote---

heres the link

LaPorte County police fight man with sword

read from ---Smoke was filtering out the front door--- to ---remove the sword from Thompson's clutches, police said.---

the sward was in the scabbard and behind his back,,,BUT!!! the sword was also under a blanket in his right hand... so,,,, ever use a katana??? its a crossdraw weapon... grab a broomstick and pretend one side is the blade and sit on your couch... stick it in your right hand and put it behind your back... now try to draw it and swing it...dont work does it??? one way you look pathetic and have no power and the other way you cant even get it out....

you grip a sword with an overhand grip... if your on the couch,,,you cant put the sword in your right hand and stick it behind your back and draw it in any way hard enough to hurt someone... plus,,,the scabbard has to be anchored,,,or it wont come out and youll just hit someone with a long piece of wood with a sword inside it...

according to the story,,,OTT has his hand on both Thompsons hand and the scabbard... BUT HE COULDNT TAKE IT AWAY??? WHAT!!!! have a little girl come up and try to take the broomstick from behind your back with her hand on the blade and the handle,,,the leverage is so huge on your wrist that if you held on,,,your break your wrist... that why swordfighters dont ever want their blade to get captured...

then,,,it says that Thompson was able to draw the sword out of the sheath and point it at Ott,,while all this time Ott was holding Thompsons hand and the scabbard... how was he able to draw a sword out of a sheath with no anchor for the sheath??? and how did Ott suddenly and magically get from being on Thompsons hand and the blade to back up in the room with a sword pointed at him???

then it says that Hicks fired the taser allowing Ott to remove the sword,,,when earlier the cops said that Thompson dropped the sword...

plus,,,if the couch is against the wall as is usual,,,how does Hicks get behind Thompson and fire a taser... if your that close,,,you can put your foot on the sword...

this thing is a total lie...and its a pretty bad example of whats going on with our freedoms getting totally taken away...

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Even though this has little to nothing to do with the article, I would like to point out that:

You can not burn your house down. You do not own it.

You can not take your own life. You do not own it.

You must get permission before you destroy government property.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Just conjecture but: Does it sound to anyone like the guy was at home drinking and screwing around by burning something paper and playing with his sword? All of a sudden the cops are there so he tries to hide the sword by sticking it behind his back and covering up with a blanket. He knows he's been drinking so he doesn't want to go outside because he is afraid that he'll be arrested for public intox so he says no when they ask him to come outside.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just conjecture but: Does it sound to anyone like the guy was at home drinking and screwing around by burning something paper and playing with his sword? All of a sudden the cops are there so he tries to hide the sword by sticking it behind his back and covering up with a blanket. He knows he's been drinking so he doesn't want to go outside because he is afraid that he'll be arrested for public intox so he says no when they ask him to come outside.

You mean a law like PI can have worse ramifications than it's meant to prevent?

I'm a half mile from home and I'm drunk. Do I risk getting popped for public intox or do I do it up right and drive that half mole home?

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Herein lies the rub. Find me a way to absolutely guarantee that this and other tools for the good of the people will be used only for the good of the people with absolute respect for their individual rights and I will support the use of those tools without reservation. Until then, I think there needs to be significant oversight to ensure that when those tools are abused and misused, there is a penalty that will not simply be the proverbial slap on the wrist, presuming any penalty at all is even assigned.

I think that allowing those who trespass upon those rights to be held personally responsible for their actions would be a good start. For lack of a better analogy, if you don't violate peoples' rights, you have nothing to fear from such a policy/law, right? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

I agree to an extent. No matter way you do law enforcement will never be perfect, so any guarantee is out the window. However the chance for misuse of immediate detention is small. Ofcouse anyone doing so should be come accountable. But your statement is also part of the problem.

No need to further look into the use of immediate detentions. More rules regulations yada yada BECAUSE

Any officer that would use immediate detention to take up a few hours of someones time in a hospital is MUCH more likely to make up PC and falsify the case report.

If lessen the chance of misuse of tools like immediate detention. The officers who would abuse the tool. Not make the process more difficult for good officers.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    shooting him with a taser is a pretty quick way to kill someone... dont fall under lifesaving to me...

Boy oh boy. Taser a quick way to kill someone? Riiiiiiiiight guess i'm pretty lucky to have survived being tased 3 times. Im pretty sure if they had wanted to kill him they would have went for the one on the right. Taser is no where near lethal force. Its not even considered up to the impact weapon level.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Boy oh boy. Taser a quick way to kill someone? Riiiiiiiiight guess i'm pretty lucky to have survived being tased 3 times. Im pretty sure if they had wanted to kill him they would have went for the one on the right. Taser is no where near lethal force for a normal, healthy person. Its not even considered up to the impact weapon level.
    Fixed it for ya;)

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Fixed it for ya;)

id like to see cops take their taser test right after they do a three mile run at 2am after being on a 24 hour fast,,,while people are screaming insults at them... tase them ten times at full power,,,so they get a full idea of what its like...

i got a good idea for raising revenue---sell each cop tase for $20

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    id like to see cops take their taser test right after they do a three mile run at 2am after being on a 24 hour fast,,,while people are screaming insults at them... tase them ten times at full power,,,so they get a full idea of what its like...

Don't forget that you have to yell "STAY IN THE CAR! GET ON THE GROUND! PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEAD! PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK!" all the while continuing to tase them because they aren't doing what you're telling them to do. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    mental issues... lol

here comes the witch hunts. if any officer thinks you're not sane he can arrest you.

they're gonna start rounding us up and putting us in political re-education camps.

enjoy it. so when can we start defending ourselves against the police?

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010

Every tase is at full power. There is no power adjustment. Personally I would like to see people comply and not be tased at all.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    mental issues... lol

here comes the witch hunts. if any officer thinks you're not sane he can arrest you.

they're gonna start rounding us up and putting us in political re-education camps.

enjoy it. so when can we start defending ourselves against the police?

Its the illuminati I am telling you. They embedded this immediate detention so we could reprogram the already weak minded.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Every tase is at full power. There is no power adjustment. Personally I would like to see people comply and not be tased at all.
    yeah but when you bust into someones house with no cause, and then demand they go to the hospital because they "may not be mentally stable"...

you are one of the bad guys.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    yeah but when you bust into someones house with no cause, and then demand they go to the hospital because they "may not be mentally stable"...

you are one of the bad guys.

Does not surprise me but you clearly did not read the story. The house as filled with smoke. As a peace officer your not determing anything. You are sending them to be evaluated by a mental health professional. But I am sure you already knew that. Mental stability also has nothing to do with it. Immediate threat to yourself or someone else.

01-18-2011 19:26 trnsplntfrmohio i hope a gangbanger takes you out.
    LOL right. Hope is all you have. Get a $10 ammy license before march. How about you take me out? Dont be scared hommie

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom