• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Today's NWI Times Newpaper needs to be slapped down for this report, while the vote was positive it is unforgivable that the report started out with an uninformed kid and his 'feelings' who then trashed the Constitution. At best its bad writing/reporting. At worst, its intentional bias since most readers only read the first portion of stories and the most important information is contained in the beginning of newspaper stories.

IF you would like to respond to this story, here is a link to write a letter to the editors >> Letters "The Northwest Indiana and Illinois Times"
    LaPorte gun ban voted down
    LaPorte gun ban voted down / nwi.com
    BY STAN MADDUX
    Times Correspondent | Wednesday, March 04, 2009

LAPORTE | Student Andrew Lang told gun supporters their beliefs are out of touch and he would not feel safe with firearms in a city building. His comments drew boos from gun rights activists who packed LaPorte City Hall urging their constitutional right to bear arms be preserved. Lang said it's not the 1770s when the British were coming and, nowadays, there ought to be exceptions. "You guys are bringing up stuff about the Constitution. It's a little bit old and outdated. This is when our country was under attack from a foreign force," said Lang, of LaPorte.

The City Council voted 4-3 against a proposed ban on firearms at City Hall and any other city owned building.

There was nothing outlined in the ordinance providing for metal detectors or security officers.

That left opponents feeling vulnerable, saying law abiding residents would leave their guns at home or in their vehicle before venturing into a city building and would be a sitting duck for anyone who started firing.

"People have a right to protect themselves," said LaPorte resident Randy England.

There also were fears the gun ban would eventually spread into private homes and businesses, giving criminals access to guns on the black market a major leg up.

"If any one of you were in trouble, I would jump in front of you with my gun," said Coolspring Township Trustee Dennis Metheny.

"Many well-intentioned laws don't work," said Bill Johnson, of Crown Point.

Mayor Kathy Chroback said other local units of government all the way up to the state and federal levels ban firearms from their buildings.

Todd Reinert, manager of a gun store in Hudson Lake called Class 3 Sales, invited Chroback to take charge of her personal protection by carrying a gun and be trained to use it. "Come on in. I'll be happy to sell you a firearm and give you all of the range time you want for free," Reinert said.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Todd Reinert, manager of a gun store in Hudson Lake called Class 3 Sales, invited Chroback to take charge of her personal protection by carrying a gun and be trained to use it. "Come on in. I'll be happy to sell you a firearm and give you all of the range time you want for free," Reinert said.

I'm guessing she didn't take him up on the offer? I have bought from Class 3 Sales before. Nice to see people standing up. The paper on the other hand needs bi*** slapped.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Lang said it's not the 1770s when the British were coming and, nowadays, there ought to be exceptions. "You guys are bringing up stuff about the Constitution. It's a little bit old and outdated. This is when our country was under attack from a foreign force," said Lang.

Someone should let him know that at that point in time, England was NOT a "foreign force."

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Lang said it's not the 1770s when the British were coming and, nowadays, there ought to be exceptions. "You guys are bringing up stuff about the Constitution. It's a little bit old and outdated. This is when our country was under attack from a foreign force," said Lang, of LaPorte.

Our government schools (and some teachers) hard at work...

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    It is times like today in which we find ourselves in more danger that during the infancy of our nation. Today men without care for their own lives are strapping on bombs, kidnapping, and killing people who are going about their daily task. We should make it manditory in these days that every able bodied person pack some sort of self protection whether they use it or not.

Let's face it guys. A large portion of the media has been hi-jacked by a leftest leaning group of feel gooders. I dropped my subscription to the "Martinsville DAILEY DISTORTER" when it shifted hands and fell prey to the left. Evidently so did a lot of other locals as their overall subscriptioins took a dive.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    It just royally pisses me off when these modern day dimwits refer to our Constitution as old and outdated. I can't think of any modern day politicians that have even an iota of the mental abilities of our founding fathers.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    IF you would like to respond to this story, here is a link to write a letter to the editors >> Letters "The Northwest Indiana and Illinois Times"

Well folks I wrote a letter and sent it through the above link before I posted this article. I wish I had incorporated Pami's comment but I didn't even think of that.

If we want to stop the media bias then we have to take 10 minutes out of our lives and send letters to the editor (well thought out, non-hostile, reasoned and factual) to call them out for their mistakes.

Did anyone else write a letter to correct the "student" or the article? I took the time, will/did you? Harping about it here is simply preaching to the choir.
    1. We need to educate the non-active gun owners,
    2. we need to educate the non-gun owners who are open minded, and
    3. we need to show the anti-gunners we won't lie down and die quietly.
    :twocents:

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    The dimwit that says the constitution is old and outdated is the child of a Judge in the county.

The reporter that wrote the article is just a dimwit. All of his articles are awful.

Overall, this is par for the course.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Someone should let him know that at that point in time, England was NOT a "foreign force."

More fundamentally, we were not at war with the Brits when the Constitution was ratified nor when the Bill of Rights was added.

Student of what? Obviously not of history. :rolleyes:

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I forgot to add the other day that Stan Maddux is a writer for the Michigan City News-Dispatch. Displeasure with this article should be directed there. I imagine NWI Times was just running the story like papers run stories off the AP wire. Or maybe they have the same parent company, I don't know. I do know that Maddux writes for the News-Dispatch though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I forgot to add the other day that Stan Maddux is a writer for the Michigan City News-Dispatch. Displeasure with this article should be directed there. I imagine NWI Times was just running the story like papers run stories off the AP wire. Or maybe they have the same parent company, I don't know. I do know that Maddux writes for the News-Dispatch though.
    I'm guessing that both newspapers are the same company? The story appeared in both THE TIMES print and online versions and appeared to be a "Times" story as opposed to a syndicated story.

One thing I do know is that I've put a lot of pressure on THE TIMES in the past and I will give them credit where it is due, when under pressure they have reversed anti-gun sentiment and actually ran an editorial criticizing Visclosky and the original AWB. It takes a lot of pressure, from a good number of people, but newspapers WILL respond to their readers. I'd STILL suggest that we NEED to write letters to the editors about this article. THE TIMES got one from me. But I cannot be the LONE VOICE crying out in the storm against anti-gun rants, we need to get several members in EVERY PART OF THIS STATE to watch the newspapers and WRITE IN to correct the errors printed.

If you have a link to the editorial page at the M-C News Disgrace then I'd like you to post it here so some of us can write to that paper too.

Sgt 1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Laporte County
    I was at the Laporte meeting. That kid needed a haircut and a belt for his sagging trousers. Thanks to all the 2nd Amendment Patriots that fought the proposal.

Top Bottom