LaPorte IN has a great collection of firearms in such a small museum!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I will share with you a few pictures I took yesterday up in LaPorte.

It is only $6 for those of us from out of county.

They have three (3) floors of antiques and look like they need more room!

Their collection of antique firearms is quite impressive and a true treasure for Indiana.

Here is a link to my Photobucket of a small sample of what you can find.

http://s365.photobucket.com/user/Libertarian01/embed/slideshow/LaPorte Museum

Regards,

Doug

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Last I was there - over 10 years now, the collection was still in the basement of the government building.

I remember how bad the archiving / display information was formatted and presented.

Seems to be better now...thankfully.

I remember commenting to my coworker was was with me - that if I lived there I would volunteer my time to research this stuff and get much better info to display. And that it would at least be presented on word-processed format vs. rather old typed library card catalogue cards.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Last I was there - over 10 years now, the collection was still in the basement of the government building.

I remember how bad the archiving / display information was formatted and presented.

Seems to be better now...thankfully.

I remember commenting to my coworker was was with me - that if I lived there I would volunteer my time to research this stuff and get much better info to display. And that it would at least be presented on word-processed format vs. rather old typed library card catalogue cards.

To IndyGuy77,

Regrettably, such is not the case.

As a matter of fact I got into a little discussion with the "curator" of the museum. When finished with my tour I was commenting to the volunteer lady behind the desk about additional information being needed on a rifle. She directed me to the museum curator who was out on the main floor.

I told her I had noticed on one rifle it was labeled a "French Carbine of WWI." I believe this is true. However, I also think it may(?) have been a Berthier. I also politely added that the year of manufacture was not on the label. I tried to impress upon her that to collectors such as myself how valuable this information is to those of us interested. What they had labeled was potentially accurate but not complete. For example, this is like saying a car is a Chevy coupe. However, is it an Impalla, a Nova, or a Corvette? The labeling in this example is not inaccurate but it is very incomplete.

She responded that when they take a donation from someone they take it labeled "as is." An example she gave me was a jar that she knew was sugar bowl but the donors family used it as a cracker container. Thus, it was shown as a cracker container. I asked, "why not label it as a sugar bowl that was used as a cracker bowl by the Miller family?" To this I received a non response.

My honest feeling is that this woman is tremendously overworked. She was putting out additional displays as we were talking. I don't think she has any extra time to even consider going through what is already on display.

I am not an expert on WWI (or any) firearms enough to say that I saw anything blatantly mislabeled. However, as with you I do wish I had the time and money to get up there and volunteer to do research and add information to their great collection.

Regards,

Doug

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    My honest feeling is that this woman is tremendously overworked. She was putting out additional displays as we were talking. I don't think she has any extra time to even consider going through what is already on display.

Guess I'm part of the problem. I live minutes from the La Porte historical society and have only been there a couple times and in honesty, it's never occured to me to volunteer.

I guess when something's in your backyard you don't realize how valuable it is until someone from out of town points it out! Thanks for the photos.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Guess I'm part of the problem. I live minutes from the La Porte historical society and have only been there a couple times and in honesty, it's never occured to me to volunteer.

I guess when something's in your backyard you don't realize how valuable it is until someone from out of town points it out! Thanks for the photos.

If you, or any of the other LaPorte-area folks want to do this... PLEASE DO!!! The Google is an absolutely fantastic resource. Also - forums such as this one (and myriad others) are a great way to post photos and to get great definitive answers to "what is it" questions. At the very least - a way to get a start on a definitive ID.

Top Bottom