Laptop dilema. About to throw it through a wall.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Hate to say it, but if you got a 900-series NVidia card in your laptop it's over five years old. HP's from back then were not the most reliable machines. It may be time to look into a replacement.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Mac mini.
    XL.

Seriously though, my Mac mini runs Parallels/windows better than my last 2 laptops, a Sony and a toshiba. I like Mac OS but have to run windows for one program.
    Flame on...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    OP has what appears to be a pretty late model gaming HP. So... Probably not an issue with an older chipset and a Mac won't get it done either.

I've always been curious about Macs, but I'm not paying an arm, a leg, and a nut for a Mac Book Pro with several year old tech in it to find out. The $80 Dell I'm on right now is more my style... ;)

Waldojr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 22, 2020
    West
    Mac mini.
    XL.

Seriously though, my Mac mini runs Parallels/windows better than my last 2 laptops, a Sony and a toshiba. I like Mac OS but have to run windows for one program.
    Flame on...

Well, you did pick two of the worse brands for Windows laptops IMO.

OP has what appears to be a pretty late model gaming HP. So... Probably not an issue with an older chipset and a Mac won't get it done either.

I've always been curious about Macs, but I'm not paying an arm, a leg, and a nut for a Mac Book Pro with several year old tech in it to find out. The $80 Dell I'm on right now is more my style... ;)

I'm in the same boat! I'll get one only if it's a GREAT deal, but I'm not paying for retail for just the name. I would run bootcamp on it anyways lol.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Well, you did pick two of the worse brands for Windows laptops IMO.

I'm in the same boat! I'll get one only if it's a GREAT deal, but I'm not paying for retail for just the name. I would run bootcamp on it anyways lol.

Agreed on all counts...

If my YouTube thing ever gets serious, I may consider going the Mac way because they really do seem to have that market locked down, but a high spec Macbook is nearly $5k. I'd really have to look at the advantages of the Abode suite on "native" hardware before making that kind of commitment. As it is I'm not finding many reasons to move on from Vegas... maybe to Vegas Pro.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

I’m far from being a techie and aim to stay that way, but my understanding is that the Mac mini is a lot of processor for the money. You have to add screens and a keyboard but that’s what I wanted anyway, seldom had need for a laptop.

I was definitely sold a bill of goods on the Sony, my own ignorance.

Once you’ve had Mac you’ll never go back, I think is how the saying goes.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I’m far from being a techie and aim to stay that way, but my understanding is that the Mac mini is a lot of processor for the money. You have to add screens and a keyboard but that’s what I wanted anyway, seldom had need for a laptop.

Looks like the latest generation, high optioned, Mac mini is using an 8th Generation (9th is the current) i5 at 3.0Ghz. That's about a $200 processor in a $1100 PC that only comes with 8GB of RAM and only Intel graphics. In pure $/technology, that's an awful deal.

However... $1100 for a PC you like is certainly a good value if you're happy with it and a far cry from what I would be looking at in a Macbook Pro.

OP's machine is running a 9th generation i7, which is realistically about a $300 CPU in about a $1400 laptop plus other features the Mac Mini doesn't have. The $/tech is much better in the Windows world. You basically end up paying double price for a Mac. I'm not saying they're not good or that people don't like them, I'm just saying I can't get behind one personally from a value perspective alone.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Looks like the latest generation, high optioned, Mac mini is using an 8th Generation (9th is the current) i5 at 3.0Ghz. That's about a $200 processor in a $1100 PC that only comes with 8GB of RAM and only Intel graphics. In pure $/technology, that's an awful deal.

However... $1100 for a PC you like is certainly a good value if you're happy with it and a far cry from what I would be looking at in a Macbook Pro.

OP's machine is running a 9th generation i7, which is realistically about a $300 CPU in about a $1400 laptop plus other features the Mac Mini doesn't have. The $/tech is much better in the Windows world. You basically end up paying double price for a Mac. I'm not saying they're not good or that people don't like them, I'm just saying I can't get behind one personally from a value perspective alone.
    I do understand your logic and math here, and realize I’m paying a premium for the privilege of staying ‘not a techie’, haha. I’ve been so happy with Mac for so long that I kind of forgot I paid twice as much as I needed to.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Eh, not really. You're getting what you paid for--the MacOS ecosystem, decent (but not great) hardware that will do most everyday tasks, and soldered storage. If the hard drive goes bad, you replace the whole machine. I have and use Macs due to needing specialized software apps but they're no better or worse than other manufacturers.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I do understand your logic and math here, and realize I’m paying a premium for the privilege of staying ‘not a techie’, haha. I’ve been so happy with Mac for so long that I kind of forgot I paid twice as much as I needed to.

That's all that really counts! :yesway:

I like the ancient Dell E series ecosystem because I like the docking stations, so I'm relegated to 6-8 year old tech until I change my mind. The plus side is, like I said, this laptop is worth about $80 if I take my SSD and RAM back out of it, so... if it takes a spill, no big deal.

On the bright side for you is if you decide you do need a PC for some reason, $80 and you're in business. If I need a Mac, well... not so lucky. ;)

Top Bottom