• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I bit the bullet and bought a Rock River LAR8 Elite Operator with a 16" barrel. I plan on adding a Leupold Mark 4 1-3X14mm CQ/T for close quarters, but I also want to get a different scope to use for distance.

What is a realistic range that I should expect from the 16" barrel. Is it reasonable to plan on shooting 300-400 yards? If so what would be a good power to buy for the rifle.

I have been shooting pistols and small game rifles most of my life, but this is new to me. Thank you all, in advance, for any advice you may give.
    Ken

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I bit the bullet and bought a Rock River LAR8 Elite Operator with a 16" barrel. I plan on adding a Leupold Mark 4 1-3X14mm CQ/T for close quarters, but I also want to get a different scope to use for distance.

What is a realistic range that I should expect from the 16" barrel. Is it reasonable to plan on shooting 300-400 yards? If so what would be a good power to buy for the rifle.

I have been shooting pistols and small game rifles most of my life, but this is new to me. Thank you all, in advance, for any advice you may give.
    Ken

I don't see a problem shooting 300 to 400 yards with a 16 inch barrel. A 3X9 power scope should work fine

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    even with a 16 inch barrel you can get to 600 meters. we use to regularly shoot out that far in the army at kd ranges and thrown together ranges in Afghanistan with no problems w/ just acogs on and that was on a 5.56. with my buddies 16 inch pof we had no problem hitting 800 meteres

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    it depends on what you want to do @ 3-400 yds. if you want to shoot tiny little groups exactly on bull go with a high power setting scope (18+) if you want to bang human size targets steel targets where a hit is a bullseye go with a lower power higher fov scope.

and no 3-400yds is not asking to much out of your rifle with quality ammo unless you are wanting 1 inch groups @ 3-400 yds

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I bought the Leupold Mark 4 1-3X14mm CQ/T today, and found there was also a Leupold VXIII 6.5x24 LR that was for sale. I wound up with both. I figure I'm covered for about any desired disance.vvNow I just have to get to the range to play with my new toys. Thanks for your replys.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I bought the Leupold Mark 4 1-3X14mm CQ/T today, and found there was also a Leupold VXIII 6.5x24 LR that was for sale. I wound up with both. I figure I'm covered for about any desired disance.vvNow I just have to get to the range to play with my new toys. Thanks for your replys.

might i sugest a couple sets of larue qd mounts. you will be able to flop back and forth and not lose zero. i tested a set and @ 300yds my 5 shot groups center moved about 1/4 inch.

then i shot the rings and scope with a 12ga, threw them in a pond, drug them behind a atv and alot of other abuse tests. remounted and @ 100yds was putting the "after test" bullet so close to the same hole the video camera could not pick up a second hole. i had to purposally aim a little off after take 5 or 6 just to get a take that would work

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Yea, I was planning on Quick Disconnects, but I will pass on shooting and dropping them into a pond. Do you know where to get a set in the Indy area.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are wanting to go out to 400 yards, and not worried about pretty little holes. I would suggest at least a 4x12, but would recommend a 4.5x14.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yea, I was planning on Quick Disconnects, but I will pass on shooting and dropping them into a pond. Do you know where to get a set in the Indy area.

i sure dont. i bought mine used off of snipershide. currentally my rings are not pretty at all but they still function perfect.

i dont recomend throwing them in a pond but its nice to know if somthing unforseen happens you are still gtg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom