• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    How many grains is enough for, say, an African buffalo?

How many grains per pound of bear?

Is there a certain bullet you've used on lions that you'd say was more effective than others you've used?

Thanks!

African buffalo, like Water buffalo, would take at least 300grs hard lead with a good shot. You want to break down the front to nail them, then you need at least 340grs moving at at least 1800fps.

Not pounds of bear, but shot and range. Larger type bears take a larger bullet then a smaller black bear.

Yes, back when I hunted a lot, there was certain bullets that worked on lions better then others. You wanted something to take them down fast because you pushed them until they got tired of you and attacked you. 300 or better was what you wanted.

You can only get this type weight and energy from the larger calibers. Read a little and learn. I know it is not popular with you younger kids but try it and see if you can learn something.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    It is a shame to know that I spent the first 19 years of my life a short drive from the Kruger National and didn't have this valuable information. Resident game laws in SA being what they are, I've put down roughly a rail car load of buffalo and the vast majority were with what I now know to have been undersized bullets. The 270 TSX being recommended by nearly every PH I've ever met, which is a bunch, I shot a bunch of them. Along with the 270 A Frame that is held in similarly high regard. They told me those things go like solids but you can hunt out of a herd with them. I can't believe those guys would mislead me.

Surprisingly, one of the few buffalo I've seen flopped in one shot was with the littlest .375 A Frame. Maybe Swift made a mistake on the box and it was really a 300+.

When I was home this summer several hunters I know were talking up the 250 TSX. Though I've not put it into anything worthy of comment, they sure had. I'm told the local bullet makers like Frontier were readying like offerings. Maybe drop them a note to add another 50 grains.

Makes me wonder if construction might be more correlated to terminal performance than weight, and that construction be vastly improved over the past few years.

Come to think of it, I've put 270 TSXs and A Frames into lions as well, though we may have gotten lucky. Sounds like our lives were hanging by a few grains the whole time though.

And giraffe! Luckily they are vegetarians because they are blisteringly fast and if you don't anchor them you'd better have a full tank. Hard to believe 270s are known effective on them, someone must be fooling around.

Maybe I need to read more and get out less.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I think you and I are talking two different things. You seem to be talking calibers and I am talking of grams of weight of the bullet.

Yes, great strides in better bullets in the last few years. I am still old school and want to have enough weight to break down the animal if needed. I still do not think the .243 is enough rifle for most deer. I use either the .270 or 7x57.

Then again you know lots of game was taken with the old 7x57 in Africa. They opened up the game laws that much there?

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Good to know...thanks. I know .308 ammo is very easy to find...30.06 less so.

If you travel out west or especially in states with high power rifle for deer and big game hunting, you'll always find 06 on a store shelf. (In most cases)

The 06 round is the most versatile round out there, with availability from 55g to 220g.

It's my favorite large caliber.:yesway:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have read about a lot of people in Alaska saying 12 gauge with heavy solid slugs (hollow points will expand and stop in all the fat on a bear). For pistol like a .454, .500 is nice but I hear you can get follow up shots off quicker with the .454.

Remember that just about everyone will tell you that if you are smart and keep your eyes open 9 times out of 10 you will see the bear before it sees you.... and just about everyone will tell you that bear spray is the best and first defense.

Here is a quote from Artic North Guides:

"I recommend at least a 270 or larger for Caribou and 300mag or 338 for Bears. More Grizzly bears are taken with a 300mag - larger Brown Bears 338 caliber, and more Caribou are taken with a 30-06. If you are buying a new rifle to hunt Alaska, get a 338 mag. The 338 is a perfect rifle for everything in Alaska. Good bonded bullets such as Nozlers, Swift or Barnes are the best. The guides carry from 270-338 calibers depending on the hunt. Pre 64 model 70's very popular, with a fiberglass stock. My rifle is light weight, has a 20 ½” barrel, and a 1.5–5 power Leupold VarXIII scope. I shoot only Nozler bullets in Federal factory loads.
    Your scope is actually more important than your rifle. Bring only a good waterproof scope, that will not fog up in the rain. Lens covers are a must. You will not need anything larger than a 2X7 or 3X9 power scope. Please no 6X20 power scopes, we are not shooting prairie dogs."

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    I would say for a side arm instead of a revolver look at something in 10mm with a high capacity, like a glock. In a stressful situation such as a large fast and powerful animal coming at you I would want more bullets in case I missed which is very likely if being attacked. Unless you can reload that revolver like a pro.

Top Bottom