• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Was out in the woods today and saw a really large hawk, bald eagle size, watching me from the trees. It moved for tree to tree staying just ahead of me, had a brown, white and black coloration. Have never seen the like before.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I saw a bird similar to that description several years ago. It definitely wasn't a juvenile eagle. It looked a lot like a golden eagle even though we're several states away from their typical range. Birds do stray on occasion though.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener got the bird book out and I'm going with golden eagle like two70 posted. This thing looked like it could have carried off a dog. Moving from tree to tree and watching me on the ground it was mostly black and brown. Wasn't sure if it was just keeping an eye on me or sizing me up for dinner.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Attachments

• golden1.jpg
      golden1.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 18

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Likely a golden. Colored are specific golden eagles,grey lines are known paths,non tagged, and sightings.
    Had two Golden eagles flying around a few days ago different times of the day.
    Seen a bald eagle land in the neighbors field. It had a cat and started to eat it.

A video on the hunting capabilities of eagles.

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    It was likely a young/immature eagle. There’s no mistaking a hawk for an eagle. Eagles dwarf even larger sized red hawks. Sort of like mistaking a coyote for a wolf…big difference.

100 bullets

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Georgia
    I will have large hawks circling the back yard, if the cat is outside I’ll let out the German Shepherd and they will quit circling the back yard. I don’t know if they are attempting to get the cat but its been the same for several years. When the big dog comes out they quit circling over the yard.

Top Bottom