• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Well, the search has begun to purchase my next rifle. Turns out, instead of an AR, I want a lever action. Large loop (Cowboy Loop) and .45 Long Colt needed to fit the bill. Question is, where do I turn? I found that Winchester has come out with their Model 1892 Large Loop Carbine (16") barrel, but I'm not too happy that they aren't produced/made here in the USA anymore....

So, what are some other suggestion? I want a blued, or case hardened receiver, blued barrel (preferably 16", or longer in length) and walnut stocks. I don't like the brass receiver that is on the Henry rifles, so those are out of the question. Most importantly, I'd like it to be made in the USA!:patriot:

Somebody here, other than myself, has to be fascinated with lever action, cowboy guns! :cheers:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I have a Marlin 1894 in 44. It is an older one. From what I gather the quality of the Remlins (Marlin after Remington buyout) is sketchy. I may have even heard they quit shipping until they work out the problems. Have you looked at Henry? Good, inexpensive leverguns are getting hard to find IMHO. You may be able to pick up the caliber and make of your choice and replace the lever. A couple of places to look for information are castboolits and marlinowners. Lots of information at both places.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    Buy whatever gun you like.You can buy several different loops and even design your own(within reason).DRC,Wildwest Guns,Grizzly Customs.If you are serious go to marlinowners.com and checkout the Muleloops thread.Muleman can take your old loop and build what you like whether it is blued or stainless and for a decent price.Goodluck.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    You can put a big loop on most lever guns... MARLIN BIG LOOP LEVER - Brownells

I've often thought of putting one on my .45-70, but I don't shoot it enough to justify it.
    1895G-in-45-70.jpg

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    You can put a big loop on most lever guns... MARLIN BIG LOOP LEVER - Brownells

I've often thought of putting one on my .45-70, but I don't shoot it enough to justify it.
    1895G-in-45-70.jpg

Looks like that large loop from Brownell's doesn't fit a .45 Long Colt. That's one stipulation that has to be met, since I don't want another caliber around the house.

And the search continues....:D

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    You can't go wrong with a Henry. And they sell the large loop to go with it. I've got a .22 with the large loop on it, which came in handy yesterday at the outdoor range (wearing gloves!).

I've had my eye on a .45 Henry as well. You won't find a smoother-operating lever gun anywhere.

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    I've heard some good things about the Henry's in smaller caliber but also heard some negatives on the .44 and .45 calibers. Twas mentioned that the receivers weren't designed to handle the pressure and rigors associated with those. Not that they are gonna blow up by any means, just not hold up as well as the Winchesters. Not sure if this was on some of the earlier models tbh.

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    I think I've narrowed it down to the Cimarron "El Dorado" and the Taylor's "Rio Bravo". Leaning more towards the Taylor's since I plan on picking up a Smoke Wagon Deluxe later on the future....

Now, I just need to sell some guns first....:D

Thanks for the replies! :cheers:

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Those are both great guns..FWIW I think they are both made in the same place in Italy then finished here in America most all of the cowboy reproductions are. Have fun!

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    No thread jack intended, but if someone wouldn't mind educating me here... What is the significance/purpose of the large loop? I guess I never really understood the reason for having those. Just a question I never bothered to ask.

Thanks! Flame if you must... :rolleyes:

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    No thread jack intended, but if someone wouldn't mind educating me here... What is the significance/purpose of the large loop? I guess I never really understood the reason for having those. Just a question I never bothered to ask.

Thanks! Flame if you must... :rolleyes:

Purpose is looking super AWESOME!! Kidding I was always told that it was so that you can fit your hand with gloves on throught the loop. Winter type gloves.

Top Bottom