• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I've been to Midwest and I've been to Cabela's. They don't hold a candle to Gander Mountain in Lafayette. It's not really even a contest. The sheer number of guns there is just amazing! and they'll charge you extra just because they have such a nice variety!

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Wow, that Whittakers is impressive. Is it difficult to buy in KY if your a resident of IN? Never tried and am curious. Huge store and it Would be a nice road trip if its hassle free.
    Long guns are no problem. Handguns normally require the usual FFL, shipping, and transfer. However, you can give Whittaker's a signed copy of your local FFL's license, and a signed letter from him appointing you his courier and walk out with the gun,

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I've been to Midwest and I've been to Cabela's. They don't hold a candle to Gander Mountain in Lafayette. It's not really even a contest. The sheer number of guns there is just amazing! and they'll charge you extra just because they have such a nice variety!
    I've been to that Gander Mtn and Midwest and still feel Midwest is bigger with a greater selection of firearms.

36fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Don says he has the largest inventory in America right on his website :D So that would make him the biggest in Indiana.
    It also says that Don's is the oldest gun range in America. (40 years only)
    haha
    Yep.
    And ol' Don doesn't want to make any money, he just loves to sell guns...
    ;)

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    We are defining "largest" as number of guns for sale?

Got to be a Gander Mountain.

Didn't think about that... Yeah, their gun counter is basically their whole back row (counter and wall) and wraps around the side. And that building is pretty good size too. I think this would be my vote for largest, definitely not most reasonably priced, but probably the largest selection.

Winner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Louisville Kentucky
    That place has to be experienced to be believed, doesn't it? I heard Junior had it up for sale a year or so ago, but haven't been out there since to see if anything's changed.

If you don't see what you are looking for,just ask and Jr. will know if he has it or not,and usually pull it out from somewhere.You can stand in one spot and look around three times and not see the same thing twice.

Winner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Louisville Kentucky
    That place has to be experienced to be believed, doesn't it? I heard Junior had it up for sale a year or so ago, but haven't been out there since to see if anything's changed.

If you don't see what you're looking for,you can ask Junior and he will know if he has it or not, and usually pull it out from somewhere.You can stand in one spot and look around three times and not see the same thing twice.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Are we talking square footage or inventory? As far as around the Indianapolis area goes, I'd have to save Gander Mtn., is largest as far as square footage and maybe inventory too (except for here lately).

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We are defining "largest" as number of guns for sale?

Got to be a Gander Mountain.

I have yet not to hear "we can order whatever you want" in any Indiana gun store. In fact, there should be a gun store in Indiana with that name.:D

There is a FFL that will order you whatever you want. 10% over his cost plus shipping. He is on SR 331 between Bourbon and Bremen.

Tactical Components Home

John is the guys name. You can email him or give him a call. All the info is in the link.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Don't know about the largest but KS&E has to be one of the smallest! Nice guys to deal with though, most of the time..... ;)

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Pure gun store and prepanic? Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka. Pre panic it had the biggest selection of hand guns, rifles and shotguns I've ever seen.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    I was in Biff's back in Jan., Its pretty much still the same. Its a hoarders dream. He has quite a bit of guns and ammo there, but you find yourself looking at all the other crap there more! He could actually have a floor display if he used a small bobcat to push all the crap out! lol

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm going with Cabela's in Hammond. Midwest Gun Exchange has more floor space dedicated to guns, but (in a non frenzied world) Cabela's has more on display. All the rifles along the top wall all around MGE are a private owners and not for sale. Their rifle wall is spread out. Their handgun cabinets are only stacked 2 high.

Cabela's packs their guns tightly. The rifles are displayed more efficiently, harder to make out, but far more inventory. The handgun counters are stacked 4 to 5 guns high and closer together. Add to that, the Gun Library, which is packed full of guns basically in the same manner. They pay people LOTS of money to make the most out of a square foot in that place!

If we are going for square footage, MGE wins. If we're going for amount displayed, amount in stock, Cabela's by a long shot.

Oh Ya??

Well - Midwest has a Giraffe. Does Cabela's have a Giraffe?
    bf-giraffesmiley-1_zps78d20920.gif

I rest my case.

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    This is for the most guns in the smallest area in the now closed gun shops category.

Ludco Gunshop in Parker had a heck of a selection. The day I was in there long rifles were stacked 3 and 4 deep along the walls and pistols were hanging on wires from the ceiling. I don't know if you could find what you wanted but it probably was in there someplace.

Probably the most guns for the smallest square footage anywhere.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Not sure if it's the largest in Indiana, but it's the largest I have ever been to.

Orion Arms, Jeffersonville, IN

ORION ARMS CORP, Firearms, Ammunition, Ammo - Tour Retail Store - Facility

I'm pretty sure this is the answer. Biggest is a subjective term but I thought that Orion was easily the largest by volume of guns sold from the location.

Inventory always changes for any store so to say one tore has more guns may be true today but not tomorrow. Orion moves lots of guns (so I am told)

Top Bottom