• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    From TAC-TV. (he just uploaded a bunch today, so more incoming)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Vzl2-228Y[/ame]

Thoughts?

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I understand what their point is, and I agree. But, he even said it himself. People are claiming over lubricating can trap particles/sand that can prevent the firearm from functioning properly. They didn't dunk the guns in oil and then dump sand on them, or even drop pocket lint in the action. I would expect the Beretta to work wet, why wouldn't it?

Anyone else you GTX as gun lube?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Anyone else you GTX as gun lube?

I've used just about everything slippery as lube in an M16 and M60. Lots of auto lubricants work well, and sometimes they're handy when other things aren't. Anything that can lubricate my engine for (coughcough) 3k miles or keep my wheel bearing turning can probably do a workable job in a gun.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I dont think it was a very good test. The gun didnt see any dirt etc between lube and shooting.

That said I dont think a gun can be overlubed, but that test proved nothing to me. I do think for a accuracy standpoint a barrel can be over cleaned, but not over lubed

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I've used just about everything slippery as lube in an M16 and M60. Lots of auto lubricants work well, and sometimes they're handy when other things aren't. Anything that can lubricate my engine for (coughcough) 3k miles or keep my wheel bearing turning can probably do a workable job in a gun.

Interesting, I guess I had just never thought about it. Will be trying this out :ingo:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Interesting, I guess I had just never thought about it. Will be trying this out :ingo:

I should probably point out that while [nearly?] any decent auto/industrial lubricant will work as lubrication (watch out for those that are really solvents that are SOLD as lubricants...), not all of them are equally fun to clean up.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I should probably point out that while [nearly?] any decent auto/industrial lubricant will work as lubrication (watch out for those that are really solvents that are SOLD as lubricants...), not all of them are equally fun to clean up.

Am I the only one who gets a little nauseated when its you talking about lube?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    While the test may not have been compelling overall, it was important because there are a significant number of people who insist that "overlubing" is not only possible, but that it will make ARs malfunction. They may not be online (or won't say so online where they can be challenged), but you meet them in meat space from time to time. LAV's very simple demonstration will help keep people from listening to the lubrication-phobic knowitalls.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My rule of thumb:

My EDC guns get lubricated according the the manufacturer, which is usually only a small amount.

My varmint guns get a light lubing now and then and the ammo is cycled frequently.

My play at the range guns get run wet whether pistol or rifle.

Worked for a couple hundred thousand rounds so far.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not all lubes are created equal either. I know a lot of people like Rem-oil, I used to use it to lube my AR. It did not take long to move onto something else. It burnt off for one, and yes, I noticed it had more carbon build up after firing. Now I use lubes that actually seep into the steel. A couple of months ago, we shot in the rain and my rifle sat in the open, barrel facing up. I never had a single issue with it functioning. That was with a light coat of Lucas Gun Oil on all the wear points.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have been using 5w-30 synthetic oil I had leftover from an oil change in a car that did not take an even number of quarts. It seems to work pretty well.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Anything slippery will work, at least for a while. Some are more appropriate to temperature and exposure, whatnot. I use LSA or something designed for firearms, and my philosophy is, any two things that move against each other deserve enough to wet the surface, even if it's only a pivot pin. I put in enough to cover the moving parts, and wipe off any that leaks out. Pocket lint shouldn't be much of an issue, but sand won't stick as much to a light oil as it will to grease.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If the bolt carrier on my AR isn't visibly "wet" with lube, I will add more at the first opportunity.

That's the way I look at my AR's as well. I have to desire to try to see just how little lube I can get away with when the bottle seems to last a long time regardless. I've tried a lot of oils and never had a "bad" one, but the latest one I've been trying is that froglube oil and I am a big fan of it. Makes a slick gun slicker, and it seems to turn into grease instead charcoal if it's been a while between shooting and cleaning.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Good video. Would have been better if they had thrown a handful of sand in the actions. That might have told a different (good or bad) tale.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Not all lubes are created equal either. I know a lot of people like Rem-oil, I used to use it to lube my AR. It did not take long to move onto something else. It burnt off for one, and yes, I noticed it had more carbon build up after firing. Now I use lubes that actually seep into the steel. A couple of months ago, we shot in the rain and my rifle sat in the open, barrel facing up. I never had a single issue with it functioning. That was with a light coat of Lucas Gun Oil on all the wear points.
    lucas makes some good products. there oils can take a beating.

Top Bottom