• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DIM TIM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stuck in Ohio
    Anyone use the Crimson Trace lasers on your weapons ? What do you think about them ? Praise, disgust, concerns ? I am considering one, and would like to get some feedback strait from the owners, and not the speal from the company or their dealers.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    ive had lasers on a couple of guns and my findings are that they make a good shooter shoot bad and a bad shooter shot worse. they are neat and they are good for intimidating a bad guy. but when i went to the range and used it i couldnt hit ****. its just like a video game where youre watching the laser move around the bullseye and youre waiting for the right time to pull the trigger to hit it. youre not focusing on aiming. youre trying to time your trigger pulls to the movement of your laser and thats not good practice.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    ive had lasers on a couple of guns and my findings are that they make a good shooter shoot bad and a bad shooter shot worse. they are neat and they are good for intimidating a bad guy. but when i went to the range and used it i couldnt hit ****. its just like a video game where youre watching the laser move around the bullseye and youre waiting for the right time to pull the trigger to hit it. youre not focusing on aiming. youre trying to time your trigger pulls to the movement of your laser and thats not good practice.

Hit it on the head!

Tons of folks came out to our range and pretty much were dissatisfied with them: They lasers didn't make their shooting better, not only from the concept of their low training but trying to follow the dot. It's nerve racking for experienced shooters as well.

For the cost, one can buy a ton of ammo and practice, with a little left over for some night sights maybe?

My favorite application was with point shooting advocates: Some of them claimed that a laser helped. I thought on it (having taken A point shooting class once) and realized that training and practice helped more than any gimmicky shooting aid ever would. Training developed the draw and "aiming" well enough that lasers were a joke. If I am close enough that I have to point shoot, I do not have time to try to wiggle the gun to find the laser dot. :twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i love them. i do not believe they are a replacement for iron sights but a addition. if the battery goes dead on the ct you want to know wherre your irons are but if you have to shoot from the hip or around corners they would be nice.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In the low/no-light class that I attended with ACT last weekend, they demo'd a laser for the class. The shooter had it on his gun due to his aging eyes, as he wanted some redundancy to help him when things went dark. He did really well making hits on steel.

But, I believe that one must be careful not to get the cart in front of the horse. This shooter knew how to shoot with irons, and only used the laser to confirm his sight picture. It was also helpful should he need to shoot in awkward or non-standard positions.

Personally, I cannot currently justify the cost or added bulk and complexity.

ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    I have one on my LCP and i like it OK. Irons are very small on it and laser is VERY easy to see even at 30+ yards in daylight. BUT, because of the extremely long trigger pull I think it is impossible to shoot GOOD groups using the laser but I have no problem hitting the target every time.:twocents:

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I have it on my kimber ultra II. I have both meprolight sights and the crimson trace. I do shoot better with the night sights as you are able to position your arm and body when you aim. I believe the laser will provide you a "quick" visualiztion aim point in situations that require a " reflex" reaction. I am able to hit my steel target faster in a quick draw maneuver when employing CT. Plus, you come off quite intimidating to an attacker when he or she sees a laser dot on their chest. Just my 2 cents worth

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    they are neat and they are good for intimidating a bad guy.

Plus, you come off quite intimidating to an attacker when he or she sees a laser dot on their chest.

Personally I find the "laser intimidation factor" on par with the "sound of a racking shotgun" myth. I realize its a cool effect in the movies when a guy is surrounded and he's got 30+ dots on his chest, but I don't think it plays the same in real life.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    To ESRICEs point, if you are going to be pointing the laser, you might need to be pulling the trigger.

I do not currently have a laser on any of me pistols. I have shot a couple guns with the Crimson Trace. I like the Crimson Trace on the Ruger LCR. The grip is no larger, the gun can be put into service quickly and shoots on target were easy. We shot the gun after we picked it up and it was dusk before we got to a range. Even though the sights were hard to see I could easily and quickly hit a gallon jug out to 50 feet.

I do not care for the Crimson Trace on the Smith 642. The sight is fine but I don't like that it makes the grip longer. I also don't like how the Crimson Trace attaches to a Glock.

The laser would be a nice training aid to show what you are sweeping.

I would really like to have a 3" barrel revolver with a set of Crimson Trace grips and this is high on my want list. I however have not been able to justify a set on any of my current pistols.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have the Crimson Trace's on my EDC Sig. They are only on there as a back up to my night sights. With my grip of the gun, they come on anyway, but if I'm lined up correctly most of the laser is hidden behind the front sight. If anything, it might give me a better idea if my sight alignment is good, but honestly, I don't give it much thought when shooting. Focusing on the front sight, I don't see the "dot" on the target.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I had a S&W 642 that came with the CT as a factory package. It was not distracting in usage with a .38 snubnose but was darned handy at realizing, during dry firing, what that double action pull was doing to my POA. I still have one on the "bedroom Glock." It came with a glock-package I purchased used. I don't know that I would go out and purchase one but I do like having the one there.

I also won't carry a handgun with a mounted light - the bedroom-glock has one along with a handheld light in the same bedside gunvault.

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    My biggest complaint is that lasers point to where you are. In a crowd (think the restaurant shooting in texas years ago), or if your in a fog/smoke/etc situation, nothing like a line lighting to you. I found they do not help me access targets nor put lead on the target.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    To ESRICEs point, if you are going to be pointing the laser, you might need to be pulling the trigger.

Actually I don't quite agree with that either. I think there are times when pointing a loaded firearm/light/laser at someone without pulling the trigger is perfectly acceptable. Remember that the rule is "do not point at something you are not willing to destroy"-- it never says you must destroy it if you point at it. I believe the "if I'm pointing, I'm shooting" mindset is a potentially dangerous one.

My point with the laser is that I don't think a red dot on the chest of someone intent on killing you is going to be any kind of deterrent. In fact, I doubt they'd even notice.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My biggest complaint is that lasers point to where you are.

Unless you're in a snowstorm, or in some foggy area, the laser beam path is not usually seen. (red laser anyway -- I believe the green lasers are more susceptible to this)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Unless you're in a snowstorm, or in some foggy area, the laser beam path is not usually seen. (red laser anyway -- I believe the green lasers are more susceptible to this)

But every movie I have seen where the guy has 30 lasers pointed at him all the laser beams are visible.

I get all my information from movies so if you tell me this is not a reality
    it will really shake my belief system with disastrous results.

Top Bottom