• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've archery hunted the last three seasons with a Tenpoint Stealth XLT Crossbow. I love it. Now I'm looking to purchase a good laser range finder. My question is: do you think it's necessary to get a range finder with the angle compensation technology considering I'm using a crossbow? I do hunt in some areas where I would have a very steep angle when shooting a distance of 30 to 50 yards. Does anyone have some experience with this? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    IMO, no. I use the cheapest bushnell made and that's basically just to get yardages of my shooting lanes then it goes into the pocket. Its spot on within a yard either way.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    For most Midwest hunting, ARC models aren't necessary. When Bushnell came out with it then others followed they had a little picture in their ads with a guy in the treestand and a deer on flat ground. They were claiming a 30 yards shot would be 5 yds off. I teach 8th grade math and one of the things I teach is the Pythagorean Theroem(a^2+b^2=c^2). By doing simple math the treestand height would have been 60 ft in the air. I talked to a guy at the Bushnell booth at the ATA show that year and he said it was an oversight on their part. I even told him my classes worked that problem out as one of their lessons! Since then companies either use a mountain or a deer in the ravine in their ads. I have a few stands where I am probably 60 ft above where deer might cross. I just try to range trees near eye level from me. Those few instances are when an ARC model might be handy. If you are on relatively flat ground, you shouldn't have to worry. The up close shots (<10yds) is where impact can be off shooting from a treestand. By the time you get to 40 yds, you are only a yard off. Just try shooting from a stand at different distances and see where you hit. I hope this helps.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    ARC technology wouldn't be that important at standard archery ranges on most terrain.

I would recommend getting a Vortex rangefinder due to its no questions asked lifetime warranty. Bushnell burned me for almost $500 on one that was past the 1-year warranty period, so I speak from experience. If they don't have a lifetime warranty, keep walking.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I would recommend getting a Vortex rangefinder due to its no questions asked lifetime warranty. Bushnell burned me for almost $500 on one that was past the 1-year warranty period, so I speak from experience. If they don't have a lifetime warranty, keep walking.

This is what I'll do for my next rangefinder. Vortex weren't making them yet when I bought my last rangefinder. I had to buy a Bushnell to replace the Bushnell that died for no apparent reason.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    For 20 - 30 yds my $100 bushnell has worked fine for me for several years. Then again I'm generally hunting familiar stands and don't take it with me very often.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom