• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Lights are a good thing. Now I don't have a light on my carry gun but I do on my house guns. Let's face it gun guys/gals like gear. So what types of accessories would I recommend investing in first:

1) Good belt and holster
    2) Quality handheld EDC flashlight
    3) Upgraded sights and/or trigger
    4) weapon mounted light for HD gun
    5) laser grips

Notice I mentioned I own laser grips earlier. Also notice where I put it in priority. The exception being a small revolver that does not require a heavy belt to carry, has no way to mount night sights and no way to mount a light. Hard to beat a J-frame with a good trigger job and crimson trace grips.

Hey, stop makng me agree with you. I would have a laser on my j frame for the very reason you mention (poor sights), but from what I have heard they are not exactly well suited for a lefty.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was kind of hoping that the "intimidation factor" theory would not be brought up. I remember a thread sometime back where this was discussed. I know the Crimson Trace advertising/videos talk about criminals giving up after seeing the red dot. I believe they even cite evidence where this has happened and evidence that agencies who incorporated the product have had less shootings since the adoption. So I would agree that the laser is not a negative in this regard. I would caution people to not rely on the certainty of a little red dot scaring away the big ugly.
    It has been said for many years that the mere presence of a firearm often times prevents crime. The laser is just an exclamation point to the firearm's presence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It has been a useful tool for me in the past. Pulling up in the alley behind a 7-11 at mid-night to work on the refrigeration....5 thugs hanging around the refer (literally, you could smell it) shed. Get out and put the laser on and point it in the general direction and the crowd disperses.

I just got back from my sisters house and we went down to her range in the woods. Having just recently bought a TLR light laser combo for her Ruger 9mm she wanted to get it sighted and use it. She really struggled with the laser. Open sights did just fine. Trying to keep the light on point and firing was not an easy task. They are not an automatic on point guarantee.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    I put a stream light tlr 4 on my Xdm 40 4.5 mostly for the light. I was amazed at how much it tamed the gun down because the extra weight on the front(not that it's much) but even my wife prefers to shoot it like that. Just my results yours may vary. Lol
    I have a Streamlight Stinger DS and I swear to jeebus it is the BEST light I've ever had!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hey, stop makng me agree with you. I would have a laser on my j frame for the very reason you mention (poor sights), but from what I have heard they are not exactly well suited for a lefty.

Don't know why it wouldn't work? I shoot mine left handed. Although when I shoot lefty I do so with one hand. Putting two hands on the gun you may have to change your grip. Definitely would have to put right hand thumb on top of left and pin it down out of the way.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Wow, showing our ignorance today are we? A simple "lasers irritate me " is suffice.

I am right there with you. Apparently if someone is irritated with something its "gay". That must make jballs "gay" I guess :dunno:

It's not ignorance, it's an opinion. There is a difference. And if you want to put every glowy dot sight, flashlight, laser and disco ball on your firearm, then go right ahead. I'm sure you'll impress all your friends.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    It's not ignorance, it's an opinion. There is a difference. And if you want to put every glowy dot sight, flashlight, laser and disco ball on your firearm, then go right ahead. I'm sure you'll impress all your friends.
    It is ignorant to call something you dont like gay. So no sir it is not an opinion. It is indeed ignorance. It is disrespectful and full of fail. Most stop using that phrase around age 20. My preference of a laser has nothing to do with sexual orientation, disco balls, or anything else you relate to homosexuals. It is not a " to be manly or not" choice. It is simply a preference. You should choose your words more wisely. Acting like a child does not help your case. To say a laser in your opinion is useless, is an opinion. To say lasers have no merit for you, is an opinion. But to state that something is simply gay because you dont understand it, or "everyone is doing it" is juvenile. :rolleyes:

Also I dont "impress" my friends. Also juvenile.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

:D This post got me thinking so I open the fast access safe and snapped this picture.

2013-02-17_19-21-33_28_zpsac496e9a.jpg

:pimp:Sig Sauer P226 with night sites, TLR-1 and Crimson Trace. It is even chambered in .40 S&W which according to one sort of famous trainer in Tennessee is a sure sign that I have a small penis. My buddy even gave me a tacti-cool SafariLand thigh holster when his department switched to Glock..........

.........Wait a minute.............:wrongdoor:

Well there go all my friends. Hope everyone was impressed. :whistle:

Edit: Truth be known I just wanted to see how much junk I could hang on a handgun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    :D This post got me thinking so I open the fast access safe and snapped this picture.

:pimp:Sig Sauer P226 with night sites, TLR-1 and Crimson Trace. It is even chambered in .40 S&W which according to one sort of famous trainer in Tennessee is a sure sign that I have a small penis. My buddy even gave me a tacti-cool SafariLand thigh holster when his department switched to Glock..........

Edit: Truth be known I just wanted to see how much junk I could hang on a handgun.

Perect example of a nightstand gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Perect example of a nightstand gun.

These lights are literally blinding if you look directly into it even at distance. We have 4 of these. 1 Shotgun mounted, 1 on HD AR, 2 on railed 1911's that are nightstand guns. These will light up the entire back yard if used in tandem. Absolutely great for HD. If you hit the bad guy with the light he will be temp. blinded and at your mercy.

Jballs....I warned you..................;)

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    If in a high stress situation it will take you too long to acquire a laser dot on your target. You're better off focusing on your irons they are more reliable anyways. The only time a laser is good IMO is if its on a combat rifle and even then you don't really need it.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    If in a high stress situation it will take you too long to acquire a laser dot on your target. You're better off focusing on your irons they are more reliable anyways. The only time a laser is good IMO is if its on a combat rifle and even then you don't really need it.
    What I would like to hear is from someone who has actually used a laser in defense vs ADS. Because with a laser in low light, it's as simple as point and shoot. The closest I have come is hip firing with a laser for fun, it was faster to get a round off.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012

As soon as the bad guy sees that you know what he is gonna say..."No way that fag is gonna shoot me with that gay ass gun!":ar15:

Well, not my opinion, but someones here:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I just got back from my sisters house and we went down to her range in the woods. Having just recently bought a TLR light laser combo for her Ruger 9mm she wanted to get it sighted and use it. She really struggled with the laser. Open sights did just fine. Trying to keep the light on point and firing was not an easy task. They are not an automatic on point guarantee.
    The laser isn't magical. If a person doesn't have a good hold and good trigger control, it won't help. It sounds to me that your sister was trying to hold it on a point and then snatching the trigger (pulling the trigger fast after everything looks perfect). Next time, tell her that she can let the dot wander around some while she is applying steady pressure to the trigger. Some people do the same thing with iron sights when focused on shooting a small target or point.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I've got a bodyguard 380 with the integrated laser. Part of my practice when drawing the weapon is to have my thumb end up in position to turn the laser on if necessary. In a panic moment where God forbid I actually had to draw the weapon to defend myself would I use it? Probably not. If I was in some kind of situation where I had to draw it to defend someone else and (perhaps) had an extra half second plus wanted the added help in targeting across a room in a high stress situation with a tiny gun like that? Yeah I would turn it on if I could.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

How much experience do you have with lasers, high stress engagements, or combat rifles?

reesez said:
    What I would like to hear is from someone who has actually used a laser in defense vs ADS. Because with a laser in low light, it's as simple as point and shoot. The closest I have come is hip firing with a laser for fun, it was faster to get a round off.

Not exactly the same, but I never use the sights on my Taser. I always use the laser dot. I'm partially color blind for red and even with that limitation I can instantly pick out the dot in all but the worst conditions (ie very bright light and a dark green background).

I've also ran IDPA stages with the same weapon laser on/laser off, and at most ranges the difference was pretty minor. On average I shot slightly faster with the laser, but on very close ranges I did better finding the front sight. Hip shooting or off handed shooting was simpler and faster with the laser.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The laser isn't magical. If a person doesn't have a good hold and good trigger control, it won't help. It sounds to me that your sister was trying to hold it on a point and then snatching the trigger (pulling the trigger fast after everything looks perfect). Next time, tell her that she can let the dot wander around some while she is applying steady pressure to the trigger. Some people do the same thing with iron sights when focused on shooting a small target or point.

No, they are not. She was trying "Too" hard to put the dot on point. Just as you say I was working with her to start a bit high and let the dot drift down as she pulled the trigger. It started to work for her but she was still struggling at the end of her allotted ammo. Shoots 9mm and her supply's are limited.

I showed her a dry fire drill that she can do in the living room with an un-loaded gun, laser on and dry fire. I just realized she is right handed and left eye dominant. Will address her grip etc. next time out.

Top Bottom