• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Look into all the data, and know your risk. About 80% have no problems, about 1/2 that have problems can be touched up, the other 1/2 never recover, some end up blind.

I had worn glasses all my life and I though it might be nice to not need glasses. I was shooting High Master level scores both at NMC courses (200-300-600 yards), and at Long range/Palma (800-900-1000 yards) with an iron sighted rifle using nothing but normal prescription glasses.

I went to the most expensive guy in Lafayette, the one with the commercials in 2004. I not only did I end up worse, I was unable to pass the Indiana Drivers exam or my work physical with even the best glasses they could make. When they took the bandages off, not only was I not better, I could not tell if it was a man or a woman in front of me. I saw 5 of everything. Unable to read, watch TV, Drive, Work, etc. I was legally blind. He did not know how to fix it. The guy actually said that I was not qualified to assess my own vision, as If I didn't own these eyeballs for 40 plus years. ( I guess being able to hit a mans head from 5/8ths of a mile away with iron sights and work on electronic circuit boards is not a test of vision) He told me that no one ever had trouble before, then I meet my apprentices' girl friend who had exactly the same problem from the same Dr.

I had to go to Dr. Francis Price in Indianapolis for several proceedures over the next year. I had to pay out of my pocket multiple 1000's of dollars. It was a few years before I could pass the drivers eye exam for an Indiana license.

The best result is that I can now see 20/40 with the best corrective glasses that can be made. I have constant eye problems. I also do not know anyone who had lasik 10 or more years ago who does not require glasses now, at least part of the time.

Do your research, there are lots of internet articles. It is a gamble. I hope it works out for anyone who throws the dice. Just do not enter the arena without understanding the risk. No matter what the guy selling the proceedure says, THERE IS RISK!

I had mine done in Oct 2001. My vision was around 20/200 or so in both eyes. I'm 20/18ish now, I was 20/15 after the surgery. I'm 42 now. This is a surgical procedure and nothing is ever 100%. That sucks you had such horrible issues.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I had mine done in Oct 2001. My vision was around 20/200 or so in both eyes. I'm 20/18ish now, I was 20/15 after the surgery. I'm 42 now. This is a surgical procedure and nothing is ever 100%. That sucks you had such horrible issues.

That is about where I was at before and after surgery at around the same timeframe. I am 47 now and do see readers in my future though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife was basically legally blind without glasses. Because of her rumetoid arthritis she was not a candidate for lasik. Instead she had contact lens surgically implanted in her eyes. It is a newer procedure, reversible, updatable but very expensive. I about $&@! When I heard the price. There is an outfit up in the Carmel area that is one of the leading doctors for this procedure. Price Vision Group????? But when my wife broke down crying that she wanted her eyes fixed, we ponied up. Hey they have no interst financing after all.

Result is she walked out with perfect vision! Of course I have to tease her that she carries a Wilson Combat in each eye. Plus I want her to get fake glasses because I think glasses are hot. Oh and she shoots fine all things considered.

bamtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    Bloomington
    I would highly recommend looking into the other option too, ICLs (implantable contact lenses). I was planning on getting lasik a few years ago and researched for several weeks to find the best doctor, procedure, etc and ended up going with ICLs over lasik. It IS more expensive but has several major benefits IMO.
    1. Healing time. Yes you can go back to work usually the next day after lasik but your eyes dont *fully* heal for about 6 months. There is a risk of the flap they cut on your eye coming loose. ICLs use just one small incision which fully heals in a day.
    2. Vision. Based on everything I have read, it gives you even better vision, some label it as "HD" vision. But what I can say from my experience is its absolutely phenomenal. I'm younger but my vision was like 20/200 or 20/400, cant remember, it was useless at any distance but now its crystal clear up close and far away. About 16-18 hours after I had my procedure I got over half of the letters at the 20/10 level! Reading the letters at the 20/15 level was cake, and still is. In fact my vision almost seemed weird for a little while because it was so clear...
    3. Side effects. So based on everything I have read, lasik can cause several side effects: such as glare, halos, dry eyes, flap complications, headaches, etc. Not that there are no possible side effects with ICLs but dry eyes is quite common with lasik from what I've read and based on personal experience from friends who have had it. They definitely don't regret getting lasik but have mentioned the dry eyes problem. This isn't a side effect of ICLs.
    4. Vision changes. Lasik should last a long time with most people but eyes always change and a lot of times lasik will require a touch up procedure down the road. This is all well and great but as far as I know, its only safe/possible to get 1 maybe 2 touch ups on your eyes then you have to live with that. Then you're back to glasses, or maybe contacts, though contacts can cause complications after lasik too. ICLs can be removed at any time and even replaced with new ones and you can always wear contacts afterwards.
    5. The big difference between the 2 is that lasik permanently changes your eyes. ICLs do not. They require only a small incision which completely heals very quickly. Lasik involves slicing the lens off of your eye and removing some of your eye tissue by laser to change its shape then putting the flap back down and letting it heal.
    6. Satisfaction rating for ICLs is above 99% whereas I think lasik is like 95%.
    7. UV protection. Yep you'll have UV protection built right into your eye!

I'm not trying to bash lasik here though either, obviously people love it and have great success as a lot of the above posts show. I just highly recommend looking into this newer alternative. Also, the ICLs last forever and dont need any maintenance or anything. There are a few downsides to this procedure too though.
    1. Cost. Its more.
    2. Time. Its a more extensive procedure which requires multiple visits beforehand and the procedure itself takes a little longer and is done by hand, not machine.
    3. The only vision side effects I had were halos around lights at night for probably 2-3 months, but those went away.
    4. Also, most people who have this procedure have perfect vision right afterwards, instantly. Mine was actually still a little blurry so I was afraid something may not have been right, but went straight to bed and woke up amazed.

Anyway, it's been a few years so I apologize if I've said something incorrect but I definitely recommend both procedures and at least looking into the ICLs!

If considering this, or lasik, I highly recommend Dr. Fornefeld's office "Clariti" in Bloomington, IN. He has done more ICLs than anyone in all the surrounding states, does tons of lasik with the latest tech, the staff are amazing and make you feel very comfortable, and his equipment is all top notch.

Just realized the post above mine mentioned this too, great to hear! I was a perfect candidate for lasik myself but still chose the ICLs.

Smith& W

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Indpls.
    Great topic. I am 63 and while shooting, I either had to focus on the handgun sights looking over my bifocals or look down range at the target. either way I felt I was just guessing every time I pulled the trigger. I think a good scope is the answer for me.

burnettjm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2015
    Greenwood
    I had LASIK in March of this year and it has been great. No issues with sight picture/alignment. If anything, I would say that my shooting/aiming abilities have increased due to better vision. I definitely recommend it to those who are good candidates.

However, if you are having issues with reading glasses, I'm not sure that LASIK would do anything for you. The way it was explained to me was that I will eventually need reading glasses as well and that current LASIK technology would't be able to fix that. Although, you can always talk to a LASIK provider for details. Most of them offer free screenings to see if you qualify and what your options are.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I will agree with everyone else on here that it's the best thing I've ever done. I'm not sure that it will affect your sighting abilities one way or the other if you currently wear bifocals. From my understanding when I had it done what causes a person to wear bifocals or reading glasses was something they cannot correct as of yet. I am young and do not need any of the latter and hopefully won't for some years. Still worth the money to correct my horrible nearsightedness.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I have been shooting better this year than for the last 5 since I started needing readers. I have wore hard gas permeable contacts for years. Got fitted for a set this summer that are ground to be multifocal. As your pupil changes size based on distance it hits the right spot on the contact. I now have 20-20 up close and at a distance. Yea I still have contacts but nobody cut on my eyes and the cost was $240.

Top Bottom