• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Last week I forgot to put up the chickens at sunset. It was around 12:00 by the time I got to the chicken house next to the barn. As I approached the door to the hen house, I heard a rustling inside. as I looked in the door I pulled out my 300 lumen LED flashlight and saw a big coon coming at me. I was standing in the door way and he wanted out quick. As he approached the door, I reached for my carry gun of the day - a S&W 6906 in a high ride thumbsnap holster on my right hip with a mag full of 115 JHP's. My jacket got caught in the holster at first and the coon was on me before I could draw. I drop kicked him just as he was at the door. He flew across the henhouse and knocked a hen from her perch. Now there was pandamonium in the hen house with the coon growling and coming back for round 2. By this time, I had managed to draw and fire just as he was at the door once again. One dead headshot coon and a henhouse full of hens that will probably not lay again until spring.

All in all, I though that was good training. Sometimes we don't think about our carry positions until we need the gun in a hurry. Guess I'll go back to the range and practice drawing from heavy clothing. The good news is that no hens were shot during the firefight. Good shooting

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    :laugh: We need to team up and work on the critters around my place. In the course of one year, I've had a 'possum looking in thru the front door glass, a 'coon looking in thru the patio screen door and a skunk on my front porch swing :D.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    nice shoot!!!.....had one cornered in my shed with 12g......put down the 12g and grabbed a chunk of 3/4" gas pipe(didn't want another hole in the shed)....he didn't make it out.....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    :laugh: We need to team up and work on the critters around my place. In the course of one year, I've had a 'possum looking in thru the front door glass, a 'coon looking in thru the patio screen door and a skunk on my front porch swing :D.
    DO NOT under ANY circumstances, shoot the skunk !!!!!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Had to shoot the coon in the garage 4 times with .45 FMJ. I have HPs now. The possums in the attic went down with one .223 HP each. Shot placement is important, but use the right bullets.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    I remember as a young lad of twelve years, my best friend and I thought we would help a neighboring farmer out with his "pigeon" problem in his barn. He had invited us to shoot a few of the pesky birds as they were roosting in his barn and leaving bird bombs on his machinery below. I'm sure he anticipated we bring our shotguns and shoot them on the wing but we thought it would be more productive to catch them in the evening as they were coming in to roost. Kinda like shooting fish in a barrel with our 22's. In the heat of the shooting it seems we were a bid reckless and punched a few holes in the tin roof of the barn. The next day was spent patching up the holes and begging for forgiveness as our weapons were placed on hold for several weeks until we could prove we were responsible enough to consider our backstops while shooting. The farmer should have revoked our hunting rights but relented after the holes were patched and we spent a few days helping around the farm to make ammends. To this day, I always check my backstop even on my shooting range before the first round goes downrange. Lesson learned! Good shooting

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    I've been practicing the Bob Munden/Bill Jordon quick draw just in case we have some vengeful relatives. I will carry my 30 rd Glock 23 backup clip just in case some out of county relatives appear on the scene. Wow and just to think the hens are laying well again. Maybe it's time to get a suppressor to save my hearing and the hen's sanity?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Last week I forgot to put up the chickens at sunset. It was around 12:00 by the time I got to the chicken house next to the barn. As I approached the door to the hen house, I heard a rustling inside. as I looked in the door I pulled out my 300 lumen LED flashlight and saw a big coon coming at me. I was standing in the door way and he wanted out quick. As he approached the door, I reached for my carry gun of the day - a S&W 6906 in a high ride thumbsnap holster on my right hip with a mag full of 115 JHP's. My jacket got caught in the holster at first and the coon was on me before I could draw. I drop kicked him just as he was at the door. He flew across the henhouse and knocked a hen from her perch. Now there was pandamonium in the hen house with the coon growling and coming back for round 2. By this time, I had managed to draw and fire just as he was at the door once again. One dead headshot coon and a henhouse full of hens that will probably not lay again until spring.

All in all, I though that was good training. Sometimes we don't think about our carry positions until we need the gun in a hurry. Guess I'll go back to the range and practice drawing from heavy clothing. The good news is that no hens were shot during the firefight. Good shooting

At least ya didn't let him "coonfinger" your gun.....:D

Top Bottom