• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    This past Thursday, July 28 at around 11:00 PM, my wife decided she needed some stuff from Camby WalMart for a party we were planning the following day. I agreed to drive her there but I would wait out in the parking lot. I dropped her off at the front door and found a parking spot where I could watch for her to walk back outside when she was done.

As I was sitting in my car, watching the usual display of society coming and going, I saw something that just did not look right. A man came running out the door with a small child, maybe 5 years old, under his arm, like he was carrying a rolled up rug or something. He was running full speed out the front door and into the parking lot. The alarm went off in my head as I thought, what if this were a kidnapping, this is what it would look like, and, after all, people do sometimes try to snatch kids from places like WalMart. The kid was not crying or putting up a fight and nobody was following them.

This happened so quickly, but I decided I had to go do something. I had my .45 1911 with me and I thought to myself that I might have to stop a kidnapping, and I was the only one to do so. I started my car and moved over a couple rows to a position where I could block the guy's car in and hopefully hold him there until police would arrive. After parking in my new location, just behind his car, I thought about calling 911, but then thought that if it were a kidnapping, police would have been called. I decided instead to watch the front door of the store to see if there was any commotion. I also could see that the guy did not seem to be in a rush to load up the kid and get out of there. I did take a pen and write the plate number down on my hand, but ultimately decided that it was probably not a kidnapping and not to get involved. The guy never knew that I was watching him or was suspicious.

I was glad that it was nothing, but what if I was right in my suspicion? My plan was to block his car in, and get out and take cover behind my car to buy time until police could arrive. I figured the guy would get out of his car yelling at me for blocking him and maybe I could explain, from a defensive position why I had him blocked. I wold have keep my firearm holstered unless he came at me.

I am interested to know what you guys think and what I could have done better.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think under the circumstances just writing down the plate number is all that needed done, and good for you that you did that.

Had someone been chasing the man with the kid or something else happened to alert you it was most certainly foul play then maybe another course of action. That being said I can't really quarterback that one/wouldn't want to. But I think I will add that I wouldn't let "having a gun" give "confidence" to intervene in some situations, I am not saying that it does or does not apply here but it's something to think about.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe some pics or vid from your phone for refererence in case it was an actual crime? Wally world is crazy town so you never know.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Maybe some pics or vid from your phone for refererence in case it was an actual crime? Wally world is crazy town so you never know.

There you go, I never even let that cross my mind. Then you get a plate number and hopefully a way to get an ID on who the guy was for certain. Maybe I don't use my phone enough...

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Everything happened so fast. I felt I did not have time to call 911, much less take a video. I am not that good with a smartphone. I figured the store had cameras on the parking lot and someone would call 911 if needed. I just focused on putting myself and vehicle in a position where I could block him if needed. I did not want to be distracted by the phone. I think Garmin now has a GPS with a dash cam that would be nice to have.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Under the stated circumstances, I'd think the best thing you could do would be to be a good witness, which in part means staying alive. I'll add that I would not trust the WM cameras to record much out there. I'm of the understanding that they're much better inside, but outside, not so much. Good on you for putting yourself in a position to block, watching and being aware. Glad you didn't have to do more than that.

Blessings,
    Bill

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Good on you for wanting to do something. Got to wonder what quarterbacking kid carry was going on.

Using the vehicle as your first choice was probably the best initial response. Then staying in your vehicle and letting the person know the police were on their way would probably be your next best move (weapon at the ready if not seen). Making sure the constabulary are indeed summoned is important at this point.

Edit: also what BOR said.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am interested to know what you guys think

Don't step in other people's dog poo.

Not my monkeys, not my circus.

The alarm went off in my head as I thought, what if this were a kidnapping, this is what it would look like, and, after all, people do sometimes try to snatch kids from places like WalMart.

Kids sometimes have diaper emergencies or need their inhalers or whatever.

Gun=just for me, partner and extensions of my gene pool. Gun is not making me Batman.

The billions of dollars, the raspy voice and the English butler make me Batman.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Prone him out and let him know he's 5.5 lbs away from meeting St Peter. After that wait for the cameras, interviews on Oprah and the keys to the city (Camby has keys?)!:rockwoot:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Last Thursday night my kids Baby Momma decided she needed some cigarettes and another box of wine from the Camby WalMart and she needed it now! She’s already drunk so I take the kid with me, rush in and get the needed items and rush back to the trailer park so I can get a couple hours shuteye before I have to show up at work at 5:00am. Just as I am going through the self checkout my kid craps his pants. Thank God I wasn’t stuck behind the lady buying a month’s worth of Prepper Party food. So I scan my credit card (hope there wasn’t a skimmer), grab my bag, tuck my kid under my arm like Walter Payton would and rush for the car. As I am going through the parking lot some jackwad creeps up on me with his car. Not sure if he was trying to steal cigarettes, thought I was cute, or wanted to kidnap my kid. I was ready to drop my Walmart bag and draw on him if necessary but luckily I was able to get in the car and get away before he tried to block me in. What a night and then when I get home Bambi was already passed out so I could have saved the whole trip.

Not my monkey, not my circus. Watch and observe but maybe something bad was going down inside the Walmart and you should have been rushing in to help protect your wife. Facts are weird, especially if you don’t have all of them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Under the stated circumstances, I'd think the best thing you could do would be to be a good witness, which in part means staying alive. I'll add that I would not trust the WM cameras to record much out there. I'm of the understanding that they're much better inside, but outside, not so much.

Depends on the Wal-mart.

OP, you noticed an anomaly, you sought further information, and you made appropriate decisions based on those observations. I don't see any issues over all.

Things to consider for next time:
    1) Body language of the potential victim (the child in this case). A 5 year old snatched would likely be causing a fuss.
    2) Try to get help coming. Never rely on someone else to do ANYTHING, especially call 911, if you don't see them doing it. Groups are notorious for waiting for someone else to be the first to act.
    3) Blocking someone in is a big escalation. Weigh the risk vs following the car and reporting it's whereabouts to the police. If you're wrong, imagine how you'd take being blocked in by a stranger.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Last Thursday night my kids Baby Momma decided she needed some cigarettes and another box of wine from the Camby WalMart and she needed it now! She’s already drunk so I take the kid with me, rush in and get the needed items and rush back to the trailer park so I can get a couple hours shuteye before I have to show up at work at 5:00am. Just as I am going through the self checkout my kid craps his pants. Thank God I wasn’t stuck behind the lady buying a month’s worth of Prepper Party food. So I scan my credit card (hope there wasn’t a skimmer), grab my bag, tuck my kid under my arm like Walter Payton would and rush for the car. As I am going through the parking lot some jackwad creeps up on me with his car. Not sure if he was trying to steal cigarettes, thought I was cute, or wanted to kidnap my kid. I was ready to drop my Walmart bag and draw on him if necessary but luckily I was able to get in the car and get away before he tried to block me in. What a night and then when I get home Bambi was already passed out so I could have saved the whole trip.

Not my monkey, not my circus. Watch and observe but maybe something bad was going down inside the Walmart and you should have been rushing in to help protect your wife. Facts are weird, especially if you don’t have all of them.
    7.836 out of 7.9 excellent parody, and it's in the damn original thread!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good advice here. We know what we know but we don't know what we don't know. Good on you, OP for taking notice and being ready to step in if need be. But even better, realizing that you didn't know everything needed to make that step.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Depends on the Wal-mart.

3) Blocking someone in is a big escalation. Weigh the risk vs following the car and reporting it's whereabouts to the police. If you're wrong, imagine how you'd take being blocked in by a stranger.

I would not have considered #3 or trying to confront him, except for the fact that there was a kid involved and I thought it would be more dangerous for the kid if I let him drive off.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    The thing that impressed me the most at the time and later thinking about it is how quickly things happen. Life is not a DVR with a pause button. Fortunately in this case, I was able to make a move without committing myself.

I just had that feeling that if I didn't so something, nobody else would. I would have felt terrible about being aware and not doing anything if it was I could have stopped.

Telling yourself you have to act, and act now, is not an easy thing to do from a comfortable position. Neither is caring for people other than yourself. It is good to look back, evaluate, and learn. Thanks for the comments.

There was no element of wanting to be a hero. Getting involved is way outside my comport zone, but to me, that is not an excuse for doing nothing.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Tough one. I have often wondered how I would react in a situation like that. Would I be Superman or a measly mouse?

Let's say that this guy was a scumbag and was kidnapping a kid. Once he sees you blocking him in, especially if he notices that you have a gun, and he decides to harm the kid in some way because of your actions. That is a lot of responsibility on my shoulders as someone who is not trained in law enforcement or hostage situations. I think I am of the inclination to collect data here and not intervene. Maybe not quite all the way in with Kirk about only protecting my family, but pretty close to that mentality. That does not mean that I would not do something, but as the OP says, you only have a few precious seconds to decide, and the wrong choice can be deadly.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Parody or not (it's a good one), blocking someone's is an escalation and would be a dump move. I have my gun for "self" - defense. Plenty of times I've taken license plates number down just in case, I am not going to insert myself into a situation I have zero knowledge about.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    The trigger for blocking him in would have been seeing people rush out the front door, or police heading my way. At that point, I would not be without help for long.

I am just thankful it did not come to that.

Top Bottom