• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I decided things were looking a bit sloppy outside and I didn't have a decent area to work or storage for all of my BBQ crap. I used Google Sketchup to design a table that would surround both my Big Green Egg and my Weber grill. This is what I came up with:

OutdoorCookingTimberFrame.jpg

I had planned to build it entirely from cedar but since I tend to have my moronic moments and couldn't find the cedar 4"x4"x8' beams at Menards (they were outside) I ended up going with the cheaper Douglas Fir for the framework. I didn't want to just bolt it together so I decided I was going to use half lap joints. You basically slice a bunch of cuts through the area you need notched out-

IMG_1615.jpg

Then break the remaining slivers loose-

IMG_1617.jpg

Before removing them altogether-

IMG_1618.jpg

Then I cleaned up the surface with a chisel. This took a lot more work than I had anticipated and I ended up with some nice blisters on my palm, thumb and fingers from running the circular saw and chisel.

IMG_1619.jpg

This was the first dry fit of the legs after I finished the first 20 half lap joints-

IMG_1616.jpg

Another dry fit and another 20 half lap joints completed-

IMG_1621.jpg

The joints started getting a bit more complex when I started making the posts which connect the front and back legs-

IMG_1620.jpg

First complete dry fit of the framework-

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

Then it was time to begin making the top sections. I made them using cedar 2"x4"s-

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

Cut a hole for the Egg-

IMG_1626.jpg

Make the other top section-

IMG_1627.jpg

Cut a hole for the Weber and finished the perimeter with cedar 1"x6"s-

IMG_1628.jpg

I was initially going to leave the base open but I've decided to enclose it, I just don't know how I want to go about doing that. I don't want it anywhere near air tight as both the Egg and Weber need decent airflow to work well but I'd like to obscure what is under the table.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Nice job on this. When is the INGO picnic? ;)

For air flow, how about some wooden latice? Or maybe add vertical boards, but leave 1 inch gaps for the air flow? Or maybe keep the back more open for air flow, but the front done up to look nicer. Just some thoughts.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I presume there is sufficient clearance between the grills and the wood; be a shame if it went up in flame. Perhaps some bushings or heat shields could be worked out.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I was initially going to leave the base open but I've decided to enclose it, I just don't know how I want to go about doing that. I don't want it anywhere near air tight as both the Egg and Weber need decent airflow to work well but I'd like to obscure what is under the table.

Maybe try putting some lattice or something similar around it. :dunno:

lattice.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great work!

I second the lattice work, or perhaps something else custom made. You could even hinge the sides such that you can open them up for airflow when in use, then close them when not being use. What might be even more slick is to have "pocket" style doors that could slide open again allowing airflow, but can be closed when not in use to make a nice tidy grill area.

If done cleverly, you could even store your tools inside when not in use.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The two center areas are for storage and I still have to install a shelf or two in there. I was thinking about lattice but my wife decided against it for me.

I may try to find a decorative sheet aluminum or something like that, frame it and attach it somehow so they can be popped off of there when I need to gain access to clean out ashes or get to my accessories.

I appreciate the kind words. I started this thing on Monday and probably have 25 hours in it so far. I'm finishing it off with a coat if reddish tinted Thomson's water sealant but I'm considering something a little more resistant to staining for the tops. I'm sure I'll get juices from the meat on there and it'd be nice if I could wipe it off without staining up the tops.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    How about a sheet of stainless in the middle? Then you can have a nice clean prep surface. Keep all of it right by the grill. No staining of the wood either. Looks great, can't wait to get an egg.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Got a router? You could fixture it up and run lines at 45 degrees on opposite sides. Works the same as lattice, but much more attractive.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got the panels to cover the front made this weekend. I'm thinking about leaving the back open for good air circulation.

IMG_1629.jpg

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    That's a first class job. Very well done. I bet that bad boy weighs a couple of pounds. Now you're going to have to build a killer picnic table to match.

Top Bottom