• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I just sat down to a late dinner and caught the 2nd half of this program.

FRONTLINE: Law & Disorder - An on-air and online investigation into questionable shootings by the New Orleans Police Department in the wake of Katrina | PBS

I don't have time to watch it right now but intend to later on.

What do you think?

I am gravely concerned that those we trust could act in such a reprehensible manner.

What bothers me a bit more is that it appears that other police officers will support bad police officers. I am not so much talking after the fact, but the actual cover up of killings and the brutal treatment of a mentally ill man after being shot.

I know there are times when I am a cynic, but I feel that in this case I am naive. I cannot wrap my mind around the idea that those entrusted to "serve and protect" can stoop so low as to "shoot and kick" or "shoot and burn."

On a tangent thought this is why I believe 100% in absolute transparency in all forms of government! Without oversight of EVERYONE it allows ANYONE with authority to become corrupt and abuse power. It is the reason I support the release of all documents and information after a relatively short period of time.

Your thoughts?

Regards,

Doug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    LOL I dont blame the cops.... I've been down that way... Katrina or no Katrina, life seemed to go on in typical fashion for LA. I feel for the victims, undoubtedly made it worst by the lawless crooks and badges (<------ Who I believe are under investigation, if not already fired for they're cowardice.)

The thing that woke me up about it, hindsight being 20/20, is the door to door search and seizure of weapons. Which is why I hate the idea of "permits" and LTCHs.

And yes, you can quote me, I dont disdain, but I FULLY HATE that idea.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In a disaster situation such as NOLA was facing post-Katrina, there was all kinds of room for mis-interpretation of orders. With no electronic record, you have to rely on your memories of the conversation or statement. Add to that the chronic fatigue of hours and hours of duty; the additional stress of uncertainty and fear related to the disaster itself; the stress and anger brought on by the injury of a fellow officer; and the chaos of fires and looting, and you have a situation well-suited for any kind of interpretation you want to place on the subsequent events.

I can guarantee you that if I had been in that situation and thought I was taking fire from a bunch of civilians, I would have shot them as these cops did. This wasn't a regular street shooting where the cops could call for backup and cordon off the area, send in the dogs, and wait for the shooter(s) to be cornered; this was, in essence, a war zone (combination of flooding, lack of commo, uncontrolled fires in structures, and civilians scurrying around scavenging or looting). Granted, the situation was made worse because the Executive Branch of city government flat out failed to do its job. I seriously doubt a policeman just shot a civilian for no reason. He may have been mistaken in believing that the civilian was armed, but I'm sure he thought it was so.

In a normal situation, your average cop just wants to do his job and go home at the end of his shift. In a chaotic situation like post-Katrina New Orleans, the stresses are higher and the desire to go home (and just to live through the shift) is even stronger than normal. This is just human nature and something we should all think about during encounters with law enforcement or soldiers after a SHTF situation.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    This subject's been discussed here a few times before. The murderous cops that did this are being tried and will hopefully be convicted and sentenced accordingly. This was NOT a stress induced event or a breakdown of authority. It was a case of murder and cover up. It's just that simple.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/85424-more_katrina_new_orleans_fallout.html

http://media.nola.com/crime_impact/other/michael hunter-factal-basis.pdf

And what will your opinion be if, having been tried in a court of law, they aren't convicted of murder?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    And what will your opinion be if, having been tried in a court of law, they aren't convicted of murder?

The typical "No justice No Peace" crap will start. Daring that if the **** isnt brought to Justice, they will....... Kill, rape, robe more?
    1269912872-copsundercontrol.jpg

hmmm..

My question is.... Where are these lunatic's when the Gangbanger is out killing folks, looting etc....

Where are the declarations on the Gangs "No Peace No Justice"????

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Then I would say that the court failed in its duty, given the overwhelming evidence against these thugs.

I would say that, unless you have sat in the courtroom for the trial and seen the _evidence_ presented to the jury, you are talking out of your ... emotions, and all your fine talk about respecting the Constitution is so much hypocrasy.

Top Bottom