• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can't believe they went back to air cool engines.:rolleyes:

The lawn tractor line, the gas engines have been air cooled for as long as I can remember- diesel is something different altogether.

Truth told, if I had a old 355D or 455, I'd probably have that tractor until the day I died at which time someone would inherit it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The lawn tractor line, the gas engines have been air cooled for as long as I can remember- diesel is something different altogether.

Truth told, if I had a old 355D or 455, I'd probably have that tractor until the day I died at which time someone would inherit it.
    My LX188 is water cooled. Looks like you have to go up to the 700 series to get one now. Those are some serious coin though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My LX188 is water cooled. Looks like you have to go up to the 700 series to get one now. Those are some serious coin though.

Learn something new every day. My 325 is about the same age, 17hp, and uses a single cylinder, air cooled Kawasaki.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Learn something new every day. My 325 is about the same age, 17hp, and uses a single cylinder, air cooled Kawasaki.

It was one of the last. The 335 also used air cooling, but the 345 was water cooled. Then the whole X series was water cooled.

...Truth told, if I had a old 355D or 455, I'd probably have that tractor until the day I died at which time someone would inherit it.

I had been using that 670, but it was just too much tractor to mow the yard with. I LOVED that little diesel engine. There was no bogging it down, no matter the load, and the tiny amount of fuel it consumed was amazing. I really wanted to sell it and find a 455, but couldn't find one that the seller didn't think was worth it's weight in gold.

I settled for a 445. It's 22HP, water cooled, and fuel injected. It uses about the same amount of fuel that little Yanmar diesel did and has plenty of power for a 60" deck. Mine has 1800ish hours and still runs like a champ.

My dad has a 425. Basically the same as the 445, minus fuel injection, and 2HP. That thing is a gas sucking hog, and turd with a 60" deck.:rolleyes:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Talked to John Deere dealer. The transmission is okay. Power drive belt and 2 idler pullies need replaced. I also need the valve cover gaskets replaced and a new power flo housing. I should be as good as new then.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was just watching a Youtube video by a guy known as "Mustie1". He was working on an LX178. If it's similar to that one, it looks like a nice unit and, personally, I would not be quick to trade it in. I think the world of JD lawn and garden tractors with the real frame, Kawasaki or Yanmar engines and hydrostatic drive. I say- good on ya for getting it repaired.

[video=youtube;kpZ5wU3c6wc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZ5wU3c6wc[/video]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks. It has been a really good tractor. I guess it was just time to spend some money on fixing it up and that's okay. With what one would cost that is in the same class as this, it will hopefully be money well spent. The new bagger system is the majority of the cost and I think I could move that over to another tractor with the same deck size if something catastrophic would end up happening.

Top Bottom