• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    As above, milorganite is basically Milwaukee sewer sludge. Ever wonder why it smells so bad?

Milorganite doesn't smell bad. In fact once on the lawn I think it smells good. Reminds me of a cool morning on Dretzka golf course when I was young. That's a Milwaukee Co. Parks golf course near where I grew up.

I assume they got Milorganite on the cheap.

And Milorganite is great fertilizer. You can't really over apply and it doesn't burn or kill whatever you are putting it on like most if not all, chemical fertilzers.

And in reply to OP. Raise your mower! I cannot believe how many of my suburban neighbors destroy their lawns trying to make them look like the greens at CCI. Your lawn should look like the rough at the US Open. 4 - 5 inches tall. It will crowd out weeds, hold water better, tolerate heat and dry better and not need as much fertilizer.

It will take a while to fill in but just keep cutting at that height. My lawn isn't big so all I need is a walk behind. And it is always set on the highest setting until the last couple of cuttings in late fall.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Can't tell if the weedkiller is effecting my lawn or the heat is...I increased my watering frequency from once every 2 day to every other day

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you'd be happy having a yard instead of a "Lawn" clover wouldn't be an issue!:laugh:

We're finally getting around to worrying about the clover in our former horse pasture 4 1/2 acre back yard but the girls don't seem to mind it much!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Every 2 days to every 1 day

I've always understood "once every 2 days" to mean in 2 days time, it is watered once....which seems pretty similar to every other day. Now, I'm taking you meant- 2 days in between waterings to 1 day in between.

But I get it, you water more often. Please forgive my pedantry.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I've always understood "once every 2 days" to mean in 2 days time, it is watered once....which seems pretty similar to every other day. Now, I'm taking you meant- 2 days in between waterings to 1 day in between.

But I get it, you water more often. Please forgive my pedantry.
    Don't get him started on when this Sunday or next Sunday is....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    LMAO....hope my yard pulls through since the wife shaved it short. What turf grass are you using?
    Me? Clover mix :laugh:
    I need to weed and feed mine pretty bad too.
    The heat has mine going into the browning dormant stage. Mowing it too short just speeds that process.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stupid crabgrass is still kicking my butt!!

High heat & short grass will let the weeds and crabgrass take over. Both the weeds and crabgrass will die when it gets cold, your goal should be to prevent the seeds from germinating next year and convince your turf grass to grow roots over the winter. Tall thick grass is your best weed and crabgrass preventer.

All that is easier said than done. :)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    High heat & short grass will let the weeds and crabgrass take over. Both the weeds and crabgrass will die when it gets cold, your goal should be to prevent the seeds from germinating next year and convince your turf grass to grow roots over the winter. Tall thick grass is your best weed and crabgrass preventer.

All that is easier said than done. :)
    The Gordon Trimec got rid of most of my clover and setting the cutting height higher also seems to help.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I mow my grass 4-4.5"....I plan to reseed sometime in sept or oct...you guys just spread your seeds or do you lay down some top soil then reseed?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of some kind of climbing ivy? Not poison ivy, but other than that no idea what it is. Preferably something that won't kill everything else. It's popping up in various spots, and covering just about anything it can. Also preferably something that can be used around veg plants and such.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I guess morning glory showed up on my fence the last couple weeks...yay. could that be something you have Tim?

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I mow my grass 4-4.5"....I plan to reseed sometime in sept or oct...you guys just spread your seeds or do you lay down some top soil then reseed?

An overseeder would do the job the best. You can rent them.

Spreading works also but only a small percentage of seeds will start. If you spread seed, watering will help more seed come in contact with soil.

Depending on how bad the thatch is in your lawn, dethatching may be a wise move for you to ensure a better seed start on all of your work and effort. Dethatchers can be rented as well.

Top Bottom