• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was in the market a couple of years ago. And based on what I saw, you get what you pay for with these utility trailers. Of the ones that are sold around me, I like the PJ Trailers the best. You’ll pay quite a bit more than what a Lowes or RK or TSC trailer will cost you but they appear to be built much better.

ETA: Root’s Trailer Sales, here between Bedford and Mitchell is a dealer.

pilgrim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus
    I bought a 5 1/2 X 8 from Rural king for my John Deere and have been really pleased with it, wood floor mesh ramp and I mounted a spare tire to it .

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's where I got mine. It's 5' x 8'. Forget what I paid, but I don't think it was unreasonable. And of course if you use your Lowe's Card, you get 5% off, so there's that.

And if you can wait, check just before Fathers day. They sometimes have killer FD sales, and the discounts stack. I got a clearance (old model, but brand new) 2500PSI gas pressure washer with a Briggs for $20 less than an 1500psi electric pressure washer. Between the clearance, the fathers day % off, plus my Lowes card % it was an amazing deal.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If I was to buy a new trailer I would think of the most weight I could possibly put on it and then get the next size up. For your size trailer you could get either a 2000lb axle with 8 or 12 inch rims or a a 3500lb axle with 13 or 15 inch rims. I would go for the larger axle and tires. I would shop for mom and pop sellers that might have a few trailers in their lot along with something else like carports, sheds, or whatever. Many of these guys take custom orders and then when they have enough they order them up from rural Missouri and bring up a half dozen or more at a time stacked up. I bought a car hauler like that decades ago fully tricked out to my specs at about half of what the local trailer/camper/truck accessory place wanted.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If I was to buy a new trailer I would think of the most weight I could possibly put on it and then get the next size up. For your size trailer you could get either a 2000lb axle with 8 or 12 inch rims or a a 3500lb axle with 13 or 15 inch rims. I would go for the larger axle and tires. I would shop for mom and pop sellers that might have a few trailers in their lot along with something else like carports, sheds, or whatever. Many of these guys take custom orders and then when they have enough they order them up from rural Missouri and bring up a half dozen or more at a time stacked up. I bought a car hauler like that decades ago fully tricked out to my specs at about half of what the local trailer/camper/truck accessory place wanted.

Butch has good advice here.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was in the market a couple of years ago. And based on what I saw, you get what you pay for with these utility trailers. Of the ones that are sold around me, I like the PJ Trailers the best. You’ll pay quite a bit more than what a Lowes or RK or TSC trailer will cost you but they appear to be built much better.

ETA: Root’s Trailer Sales, here between Bedford and Mitchell is a dealer.

A second for PJ Trailers, I bought one two years ago to haul a car on. Good solid trailer but in the "get what you pay for" category they will probably cost a little more than similarly sized trailers from other manufacturers. Just don't forget to compare apples to apples. I found a similar trailer for a couple thousand cheaper but it used smaller tires, wasn't painted underneath, some of the welds looked like a monkey applied them, cheap paint job on the parts that WERE painted etc. Something new in the trailer market now I guess is that they are actually importing trailers from China now. I haven't experienced it personally yet but we're half heartedly looking for a 16' tandem enclosed and a couple of the people I've talked to warned me about it.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks guys for all the responses. The craigslist one is sold. I was going to go to Detro's and maybe call John's Trailers. I really need to replace my dump trailer this Spring....maybe I can get one of them to cut me a deal on a lawnmower trailer if I buy a dump trailer from them. I will keep looking......thanks again!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm in Westfield / Carmel area and I notice a lot of Royer Trailers. I probably notice them because I went to High school with the owners years ago but at the same time the people buying them from around me have obviously passed up a LOT of other places to have gotten theirs from Royer. That makes me think it might be worth looking into.
    https://www.royertrailers.com/

I don't know if they have locations other than their main one in Clinton. (far west part of Indiana, north of Terre Haute)

Top Bottom