• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Any INGO folks in the Lawrence Township area... Are you aware of the "Adjusted Calendar" being considered? There are meetings tonight and Thursday to voice your opinion on it.

I for one am very much against the concept. There is no evidence it will improve education. They think it will save money.

Anyone else in the LT school district have thoughts?

https://www.ltschools.org/files/www/file/ModifiedCalendarFAQ.pdf

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have no idea how it will manifest itself in the government school system, but many homeschoolers use a modified calendar of their own for many of the reasons listed in the pamphlet. The modifications implemented by homeschoolers don't mirror those proposed by Lawrence MSD exactly, but the idea is essentially the same: take some of the bloat out of certain traditional non-school times (i.e., summer) and more equitably spread it around. I know a common modification is to take the entire time following Thanksgiving through the New Year off completely.

Two weeks at a time seems excessive to me though. It's like transitioning back to the "on for school" headaches all over again, multiple times. With that many kids, particularly small ones who generally thrive on routine, not change, it could get hairy.

I think it's workable. But I think that with all things government school, it will work for some and not others. It's a crap shoot whether your kids will be the former or latter.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I live in Lawrence and my daughter started first grade this year. I heard a little about the proposed changes. I honestly haven't paid much attention to it, my daughter will not be attending Lawrence schools next year or ever again.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My kids are in Warren Township and we have been on this schedule for about 5 years. We love it and would not go back to traditional if asked. We like that we can take vacations at "off seasons" without worrying about missing school. To be quite honest, my kids are ready for school to start after 8 weeks off in the summer. We like it and so do the kids.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My kids are in Warren Township and we have been on this schedule for about 5 years. We love it and would not go back to traditional if asked. We like that we can take vacations at "off seasons" without worrying about missing school. To be quite honest, my kids are ready for school to start after 8 weeks off in the summer. We like it and so do the kids.

I too like the blended schedule. I have been driving it since I have become a bus driver. Seems to me the kids like the breaks instead of having to wait till christmas break for a decent vacation time.

Can I ask why we may not like this idea OP?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

Many of our employees are Warren parents and every single one of them is happy with the modified calendar. I've personally spoken to 11 of them, and their support is strong.

I've heard some complaints about it, (not from parents in Warren), but have not heard anything approaching a strong argument. What is the up side of keeping the traditional calendar, other than tradition or being what people are used to? I'm interested in a rational and significant reason that it is not a good idea.

My guess is that the same people who lament the US being behind China and others in Math and Science are the same ones griping about this calendar proposal. I wonder what they'd think of a Chinese school calendar, where their kids would go to school for 220 or more days a year as opposed to Indiana's 180. Kinda tough to have it both ways.

:popcorn:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have no idea how it will manifest itself in the government school system, but many homeschoolers use a modified calendar of their own for many of the reasons listed in the pamphlet. The modifications implemented by homeschoolers don't mirror those proposed by Lawrence MSD exactly, but the idea is essentially the same: take some of the bloat out of certain traditional non-school times (i.e., summer) and more equitably spread it around. I know a common modification is to take the entire time following Thanksgiving through the New Year off completely.

Two weeks at a time seems excessive to me though. It's like transitioning back to the "on for school" headaches all over again, multiple times. With that many kids, particularly small ones who generally thrive on routine, not change, it could get hairy.

I think it's workable. But I think that with all things government school, it will work for some and not others. It's a crap shoot whether your kids will be the former or latter.

Guess what? Your "government schools" are not the only ones doing this. There will soon be a wave of private schools and religious schools doing this, too. Many of my friends are private school principals, and they are clamoring for this because they think it makes sense, and because many of their parents are asking for it. Stay tuned over the next 2 to 3 years.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Guess what? Your "government schools" are not the only ones doing this. There will soon be a wave of private schools and religious schools doing this, too. Many of my friends are private school principals, and they are clamoring for this because they think it makes sense, and because many of their parents are asking for it. Stay tuned over the next 2 to 3 years.

:laugh: Didn't I just ****ing say that?

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am opposed to it because there is no evidence that it actually improves education. They are proposing it makes kids happier. Say it will save money but provide very little (1) evidence of how they plan to save money. The only known concept is teachers would be able to schedule medical appointments during breaks, if they choose.

Kids loose 2-3 weeks of time when they can earn money prior to college. It is very difficult for a kid to get a job for a 1-2 week break. Many businesses also depend of these kids during the summer peaks. Its a win for both kids and businesses.

My work is busiest in June/July. We typically take our vacation the end of July through the early August weeks. This will not be possible under this calendar.

Activities/Sports will likely be an issue. Will teams and activities be "off" during these breaks? Very unlikely. So, there goes vacation options or the team/activity suffers with kids gone.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I saw all schools should be on the traditional schedule. My reason is becuase I love going on vacation with my family during the off-season to places like LEGOLAND, Disney, Sea World, Universal Stuidos and NOT having to see all the other kids running around and making the lines long and having melt-downs! I enjoy being one of the few families out during that time frame instead of having to go during the summer when all the other familes are out and about.

Yes thinking only about me, me, me but so be it. ROFL!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Okay, then what did I say? I am at a loss for the scorn in your post when I as much as justified the merits of the modified calendar, albeit through a different set of experiences.

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?

No scorn intended. Just repeating the way you were speaking to me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom