• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • _OZ_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    In Search of the Holy Grail
    I think they have a seperate law and justice in the UK, so they want the same thing here.

Its not a good thing, we don't need seperate laws for different people. Hmm that would be racist if we did that, but its ok for others..

I fear for a lot of bad things happening in the future.

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    It is not clear to me what was banned exactly.

What I got out of it was that they wanted to have Islamic law to be considered in certain cases and it did not pass. Now they (well at least one) want to sue against the state's consitutional amendment that prohibits the court from considering international or Islamic law.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think if the Constitution remains at all intact, it would effectively remain a ban of anything found in Sharia Law.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I agree. But look at all the controversy over the enforcement of the 1st & 2nd Amendments to the Constitution in the past and at present.

I agree with that. If Sharia Law somehow became law, people would defend it and celebrate their new powers. I have seen no evidence that people would refuse to enforce it no matter how unconstitutional it was. Its happened before.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I agree with that. If Sharia Law somehow became law, people would defend it and celebrate their new powers. I have seen no evidence that people would refuse to enforce it no matter how unconstitutional it was. Its happened before.

It appears to be happening to some extent in Detroit.

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    This amendment is just a political stunt designed to pander to the evangelical christian voters in OK. It is clear that it was never going to stand, and was not intended to. If they had actually wanted it to work, they would have simply codified separation of church and state, and banned any religious law from being considered in judicial matters. Despite the fact that Jews and Christians are not clamouring for inclusion of their own religious legal system, that would still be painted as an attack on all religions, and would not pass. Since the amendment that passed singled out Sharia law, it will never stand.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    The good people of Oklahoma are taking a peek into their future and don't like what they see apparently.
    In our great country, valuing tolerance and freedom, we tend to get tripped up by theocracy. When folks immigrate from a theocracy to the US, they bring their religious beliefs conjoined with their politics and law (stating the obvious, definition of theocracy). This is exactly where tolerance needs to take a back seat to individual freedom and preserving American values. What I see here is Oklahoma fighting future (or even current) oppression by liberal judges who are so blinded by tolerance they will impose the beliefs of theocrats on Americans and in-turn limit freedom.

In short, you can worship any god you like in this country. If your actions in worshiping your god limit my freedom, you are not welcome until you can respect me and my constitution.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    It is not clear to me what was banned exactly.

I think, what they are saying is this.

Say for example, a Muslim goes to court for committing an "Honor Killing" the judge should not let him off easier for it, in lieu of the fact that there might be a religious principle behind it. This is only an example, I really don't know if it is even a good SPECIFIC example.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    I guess the "Will of the People" does not mean crap meaning Judges can reverse laws voted on legally. We seriously need to fix this. Judges should have term limits. It is time to really think about revamping that branch to fix this.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I guess the "Will of the People" does not mean crap meaning Judges can reverse laws voted on legally. We seriously need to fix this. Judges should have term limits. It is time to really think about revamping that branch to fix this.

Iowa voters did just that with their dethroning of 3 justices this past election. One being the Cheif Justice. :yesway:

Top Bottom