• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think they say she could get 6 years. I'd love for her to represent herself. I would be awesome if she could win. To the lawyers (or anyone else, I guess), should the Bar Association have a monopoly on deciding who can, and who can't, practice law? Caveat Emptor?

It's a club. You have to pay to join. I'd rather Caveat the hell out of the Emptor.

About $50 an hour....

:D

I believe they are the same - but one of the lawyers will be along shortly to correct me...

So if the difference is $50/hour that would make one of them "worth" $950/hour?

The obvious question not asked yet: Is she hot?

I skimmed the article but didn't see a photo. Wanna bet it was another woman that ratted her out? :D

I was going to ask. But it's kinda too late now.

And I think your idea on who ratted her out is probably accurate. Well, unless the dude wanted to get back at her for crushing his self image when he found out she was faking it for 10 years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Um, what? You mean the running the office stuff? Employees, taxes, women building a food museum in my fridge, equipment catching fire in the middle of the day, people using your office as their property, etc., that kind of stuff?

Thats just life Kirk.....we are talking about Lawyering here.....:):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Question for the lawyers, how does this affect any cases where she represented clients of the firm?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    About $50 an hour....

:D

I believe they are the same - but one of the lawyers will be along shortly to correct me...

A lawyer is a licensed practitioner of law. An attorney at law is the same thing. However, the term "attorney" alone just means a person appointed to act on behalf of another person. If you are appointed to act for someone according to a power of attorney, you are an attorney in fact.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    A lawyer is a licensed practitioner of law. An attorney at law is the same thing. However, the term "attorney" alone just means a person appointed to act on behalf of another person. If you are appointed to act for someone according to a power of attorney, you are an attorney in fact.

I didn't know that. Could someone who is not a lawyer confirm that so I know it is not a lie?

Sorry, I don't know you well enough for that joke but couldn't pass it up. :):

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Um, what? You mean the running the office stuff? Employees, taxes, women building a food museum in my fridge, equipment catching fire in the middle of the day, people using your office as their property, etc., that kind of stuff?

Sounds like a typical government agency where they "spend" instead of "pay" tax funds...

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

To my understanding from my niece that just graduated from IU last summer with her Law Degree and passed the Bar Exam.
    A Lawyer is someone with a Law Degree.
    An Attorney is someone with a Law Degree that has passed the Bar Exam.

I was surprised because I thought they were the same thing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    To my understanding from my niece that just graduated from IU last summer with her Law Degree and passed the Bar Exam.
    A Lawyer is someone with a Law Degree.
    An Attorney is someone with a Law Degree that has passed the Bar Exam.

I was surprised because I thought they were the same thing.

She can think that....but a law school graduate is the holder of a Juris Doctor degree. Period. Call yourself a lawyer or an attorney at law without a license....and there could be issues.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was curious about this myself.

The firm will certainly have to go back and check all of her work that is ongoing and anything that was concluded negatively to the client...out of due diligence. However, any affect on the clients will be based upon the quality and accuracy of her work. If it was reasonably competent, the clients should be OK. I expect that the firm will be hit up for discounts on past work, though. The firm has a huge headache here.

I simply don't understand how this happens in this internet age. Any one of you can check the status of my law license and whether I've ever had any license discipline. Public record.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For either a lawyer or accountant (read: CPA) I really don't see the need for college. I DO see the need to understand the profession that entails a great deal of legal comprehension, but college isn't required for that.

Why not simply say, "Take this test. This test will determine if you understand the basic aspects of the profession you wish to enter." Passing the test would indicate that the person comprehends and fully understands the intricacies of the profession.

We require way too much college for way too many things in order to make some feel superior to others.

Regards,

Doug

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Respect my rights to practice law without some slip of paper from the state giving me permission. Why do you hate liberty??

What do you suppose her opinion is on OCing into a federal building? :stickpoke:

Top Bottom