• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    last summer both tvs in my house decided to stop working within weeks of each other dying. my downstairs tv would not power on anymore after a lightning storm. no direct hit but after a close strike, no power only clicking. im a cable guy so i go to a customers house who was having a similar issue. tv not always turning on. he said samsung was on the way to do a waranty repair. i got the number and called and got a repairman to come out and fix it for free. they replaced a few capacitors and all was good.
    two weeks later the upstairs dynex tv goes out. i call but warranty was over. i google it and found you tube vids on how to fix, found two blown caps and after the trip to radio shack installed the caps and all was well again. seems that the manufacturers use inferior parts again. just thought i'd share this as this can happen to anyone and the fix is simple as a little soldering and a trip to the shack.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Funny you mention it. I had a TV that went out last night with probably the same problem. Mine was new enough for a exchange. Common issue with capacitors giving out on the power supply.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    i had a trouble call yesterday at a tv repair shop and i asked him about that. all he said was it keeps him working and samsung got caught with their pants down. mine was out of warranty. i think this is all common with different manufacturers.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My dlp bulb has been out for a while...reminds me I need a new one to get that beast warming up the room again. I generally despise flat panels as IMHO they don't dissipate enough heat to last over two years. My dlp blows a bulb and keeps on trucking. Only bad thing is that the new bulbs last like 1/4 of the time the original bulb did.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I picked up a samsung plasma black friday and was returning it 4 days later for a similiar issue. While at HHGREG 3 others with the same TV were in line behind me. Went with an LG and alls good.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I have two caps end route to fix my Samsung. Had to do the same thing on a cheap Westinghouse a couple if years ago. Though a "quality" brand would have used better parts...

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I fixed my samsung the same way a couple of years ago. I heard that the Chinese stole the electrolytic formula from a Japanese company and started making capacitors. They got the formula wrong, and now there are millions of devices with these short life'ed capacitors in them. Counterfeit Louis Vuitton bags and now counterfeit capacitors.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good info to be aware of. We bought a Samsung for Christmas this past year. For those that had the problem....did you have your set on a surge suppressor? The Samsung warranty said they wouldn't support you if the set was not on a surge suppressor.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    i have a whole house surge and another behind tv and it still blew the caps because they used inferior rated capacitors. i would register that warranty and call samsung.

Top Bottom