• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think so and so do many thousands of others. They are a close-up self-defense weapon only, so don't go shooting hundreds of rounds out of it expecting to last forever. It is not a range pistol.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I bought one for my wife two years ago...Again, a CLOSE UP GUN, nothing more. Poor sight picture, 10 yards or less. Im big handed and it stings me a little (Yay, I know..man up fireman...) but it will do the job to protect my wife and kids if needed out of the house...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Need something small to carry, but still big enough to put someone in pain. Are these any good?

I've got a Ruger LCP and a Kel Tec P3AT, both are near clones of each other. Both work. Both are rather unpleasant to shoot with horrible triggers and a loud bark.

While the little 380 round is fairly tame ballistically, these tiny polymer guns are very light weight and offer very little to grip onto, so the recoil in these guns is much worse than many expect. That said, I carry one of these little guns a few days each week and have one slipped into my jeans pocket right now. It melts into your pocket, you don't even realize you are carrying. So if you are looking for a tiny gun that is very convenient to carry, the little LCP will fit that ticket nicely.

If you are looking for a fun gun to shoot at the range, this is not a good choice!

Generally I have no issues carrying a compact 3.5" barrel 1911 pistol, its my carry gun of choice, but its also something that I have to dress around to conceal. Sometimes its just easier to slip a tiny gun in your pocket.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    28aug11LCPdetails0061.jpg

Considering how chintzy it feels, my LCP has been remarkable: no failures to date (a bit over 600 rounds, I'd estimate).

28aug11LCPdetails0011.jpg

And generally more accurate for me to shoot than a J-frame (with factory stocks) - though I agree that it's not ever fun to shoot. Amazingly easy to carry in deep cover, especially if you add a clip to it, which enables you to carry it as if it were a pocketknife.

12may12CM9andPistolWearTrumpCard011.jpg

Notably smaller than even a micro-Kahr 9:

12may12CM9andPistolWearTrumpCard005.jpg

Mine gets carried with Buffalo Bore's overpressure ".380 +P" 95-grain FMJs, which do just south of 1100 fps at my altitude. These are unpleasant to shoot - imagine having someone whack your hand at full speed with a ping pong paddle.

11feb13BuffaloBoreLCPcloseup.jpg

11feb12BuffaloBoreLCP.jpg

I know women who love theirs as well.

2013-01-01_10-58-35_825.jpg

Whether it's right for you, only you can say. I've been carrying since the mid-'80s and I trust mine . . . and I've recommended the gun to my brother, if that means anything.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with many of the previous posts (not a range gun, poor trigger and sight picture, etc.). The things I like most about mine is that is has always functioned flawlessly and it is extremely easy to carry concealed, meaning that it is pretty much my everyday carry. Several friends have the Keltec's, never any problems reported and they are typically a little less expensive than the Rugers.

aarndt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Indianapolis,IN
    I've got a Kel-Tec P3AT Freedom Edition and it is great. With the belt clip it looks like a pocket knife. Very concealable, very similar to the LCP. Its an easy everyday carry.

bigbang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    My LCP functioned just fine. Too bad I couldn't hit squat w/it due to the trigger. CM9 doesn't fit in my pocket as well, but it's the only gun that fits EASILY IWB for me. Better sights and trigger to boot.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    LCP with a Crimson Trace laser is great! Wife and I both carry one.
    The laser helps with dry fire practice to get used to the long trigger pull. The long trigger is the guns safety. A few minutes of dry fire practice every day and you'll get the hang of it. The springs loosen up some as well.
    Either of us can easily cause a bad guy to have a very bad day up to 10 yrds.

Hornday Critical Defense lessens the recoil bite a considerable amount.

Bailey06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I recently purchased one.
    Usually i carry a Glock 19 but some times it is a little big/bulky to carry
    depending on what i wear.
    I got the LCP to carry in my pocket with pants or shorts and so far i like it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have an LCP, put a Hogue hybrid grip on it, helps the recoil sting quite a bit, and fits my large hands much better. I carry mine when its just not feasible to carry anything else. For me, I am much more accurate with my J frame, but YMMV.
    My wife, always having to be a little different than me, opted for the S&W BG380. As much as it pains me to say, I think it is a much better weapon, both quality and features. Hers has last round hold open, a safety(albeit not a very easy to manipulate one) and the laser adds just a little bit of forward mass, enough that it is noticeably easier to keep on target for follow up shots. That, and the sights are much better than either the Kel tec or ruger, without being big enough that they cause snag issues when drawing the pistol.

Short version, the Ruger is a decent pistol, that should serve well in its intended roll, but there are better options out there for most people if you look around.

Top Bottom