• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    I love my LCP. Has never failed to fire. The only feature i really like on the body guard is the slide lock when mag is empty. The built in laser is a nice bonus.

If i had to do it over again i might go with the bodyguard just for the mag-slide-lock and i like the feel of it a little more.

But my LCP has proven to be bullet proof. One of my buddies has put over 800 rounds through is LCP since he got it about 14 months ago. The internals have held up pretty well considering. It still fires but it is going back to Ruger to get some new parts. I doubt the bodyguard would fare much better with that kind of round count but who knows.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It would depend on what's most important to YOU. For me, the most important factors were the weight of the gun, plus how easily it concealed. The LCP trumped the Bodyguard in both those categories in my opinion. The drawbacks of the LCP are the awful sights and the longest trigger pull in the history of firearms. I feel like those can be overcome with a lot of practice, but out of the box, the Bodyguard wins those categories. I hope this helps!

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Bodyguard if you like a manual safety and a true double action pistol. LCP if you want to stay at $300 and be able to find mags fairly easily.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Local place has the S&W for $300 and at another the LC is $298. Kinda leaning in the bodyguard direction but the Ruger is an awsome little number.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Bought the LCP before the Bodyguard was available. Very happy with it. As one previous post mentioned, it has functioned reliably. It's also VERY concealable. Considering that it has no safety, and I carry with a round in the chamber, I think that the long trigger pull is a good thing. That being said, the BG looks like a pretty good value. Buy both, and put one in each pocket.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Go LCP with Crimson Trace. I always see people bothered by the sights but at the distances you would have to use it muscle memory trumps sights. The Crimson Trace would help and might add a psychological plus to you in the event you had to defend yourself with it. Anyone could buy the "best" equipment but what makes the difference at the end of the day is range and training time. I vote LCP but you should shoot both and see what feels better to draw and shoot. Then put in the range time.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Go LCP with Crimson Trace. I always see people bothered by the sights but at the distances you would have to use it muscle memory trumps sights. The Crimson Trace would help and might add a psychological plus to you in the event you had to defend yourself with it. Anyone could buy the "best" equipment but what makes the difference at the end of the day is range and training time. I vote LCP but you should shoot both and see what feels better to draw and shoot. Then put in the range time.
    The S&W has better sights AND a laser built in at the price you named. Again, no contest. M&P.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The S&W has better sights AND a laser built in at the price you named.

"Better" sights are relative (the BG380 iron sights still suck), the laser is useless in natural daylight beyond about 7 yards, and both the gun and the laser have kludgy controls. Holsters, beyond generic-fit nylon, are also problematic.

LCP is smaller, less expensive, has plenty of holsters available, and if you feel the need, can be fitted with a Crimson Trace laser that has better adjustments and controls than the Insight unit found on the S&W.

If I had to have one of the two, I'd take the Ruger. In reality, I passed on both and bought a Kahr P380. :D

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Just to stir the pot.....I LOVE my Taurus TCP. Same basic pistol; tiny .380 auto with a 6 round magazine. It also has a slide lock on empty, and a loaded chamber indicator. I stuck the Crimson Trace laser on mine, and I have to say, its a great little backup piece.

Never had an issue out of it. Not a one; same as with my other 5 Taurus firearms. And the price point is about the same as the LCP. Just something to think about.

Oh, and it comes in pink; you know, just in case you're looking for that. :p Comes in black and stainless slide, and in black or pink frame.

Taurus-TCP-Palm-Sized.jpg

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have fired both and the Bodyguard's trigger seems awful compared to the LCP. I use the LCP as my summertime EDC, and it has been flawless at the range. But it's a Ruger,

Rugers-Just-Work-Period

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have an LCP. bought it before the bodyguard was out, and my wife has the S&W. Shooting the 2 side by side, the Bodyguard has a slight edge on control-ability (not that either is uncontrollable), I think as a result of the internal laser adding a bit of weight up front. A crimson trace on an LCP would probably balance this, but at another $200 investment. The slide hold open is a nice feature, but the safety is, in my opinion unusable on the S&W for all but range duty, it isnt something that can be thumbed off without a bit of effort. I love my LCP, but the finish was not very durable, and within a month of owning it I had blasted the blued finish off, and parkerized the slide, the smith seems to have a bit more durable factory finish.
    The only other difference I can put in from personal experience, if you plan to but a holster for the BG, be prepared to settle for what you can find, the choices arent as diverse as they are for the Kel-Tec/LCP size pistols.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    With all due respect, I disagree on this. Even the most cursory look at the BG380 and the Ruger shows the BG to be the far better weapon.

"Better" sights are relative (the BG380 iron sights still suck), the laser is useless in natural daylight beyond about 7 yards, and both the gun and the laser have kludgy controls. Holsters, beyond generic-fit nylon, are also problematic."

RUGER

The Ruger, being a knockoff of the Kel Tec has the near non-existant sights the Kel Tec has as seen in this pic. This gun also suffers from no slide hold-open and no laser.
    54585LCP.jpg

BodyGuard 380

THe BG 380 has vastly superior dovetailed in sites that are removable and can be replaced with nite sights, etc. The laser is part of the purchase price and you say it can't be seen past 7 yards in daylight. I disagree on this due to experience but I also think this weapon is a CQ self defense pistol designed on all levels for 7 yards and closer anyway. As for holsters, type in "Bodyguard 380 holster" into Google and you will find you are wrong about holsters too.
    DSCN2718-300x225.jpg

"LCP is smaller, less expensive, has plenty of holsters available, and if you feel the need, can be fitted with a Crimson Trace laser that has better adjustments and controls than the Insight unit found on the S&W."

The street price of the Ruger is anywhere from $300 - $350+ WO laser. The addition of a CT Laser would set you back another $210 + shipping! This might give you adj and controls that the S&W has (which is arguable) but it would set you back a lot of money and give you distance that the gun is not designed for. I just bought a new BG380 for $359.
    LG_431_Header_Laserguard.png

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    To those of you that own the S&W , what is your opinion of the trigger? Have they been reliable in function / have ammo preferences?

There seems to be alot more information available on the LCP than the BG from owners that have run them through the paces. I think a gun of this nature has it's strong points in how it fits the hand and how well the trigger allows you to get rounds off quickly. At a distance of ten feet or less, (the point of no return to me) lasers, sights etc. arent a big deal compared to function and reliability.

I am going to buy one or the other to have something for a pocket carry gun, getting a 1911 in the pockets of a pair of cotton shorts has proven problematic in this heat! -read that trophy has gone unarmed more than once or twice and wished he wouldn't have.
    -Thanks for the input guys I want one of these and it's great to get feedback from people that own them.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Just to stir the pot.....I LOVE my Taurus TCP. Same basic pistol; tiny .380 auto with a 6 round magazine. It also has a slide lock on empty, and a loaded chamber indicator. I stuck the Crimson Trace laser on mine, and I have to say, its a great little backup piece.

Never had an issue out of it. Not a one; same as with my other 5 Taurus firearms. And the price point is about the same as the LCP. Just something to think about.

Oh, and it comes in pink; you know, just in case you're looking for that. :p Comes in black and stainless slide, and in black or pink frame.

Taurus-TCP-Palm-Sized.jpg

I don't have a 380 yet, but if I was about to buy one, it would be this one.

Top Bottom