• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Brand new LCP. Ive heard bad things, then I heard they fixed the bad things, then i heard good things. Overall, id say that i saw good things today.

I put 50 rounds of Lellier & Bellot(never heard of it) through the gun.
    Being used to where the trigger breaks on the glock, It took some getting used to. Once I was comfortable with the snappy recoil, and long pull, the little bugger shot unbelievably accurate. Really, the thing is dead on.

I had zero falure to feed, and zero failure to ejects. I did however have one misfire. It seems, and i have heard this before, that the firing pin is striking the primer off center. consistently. It also seems, and im not an expert here, that the dent left in the primer is kind of shallow, as if the hammer doesnt have enough energy. that being said, the ammo had a thick layer of red paint on the back of all the cartridges, and that may have absorbed some of the kinetic energy. The round did go off after another go at it. The main reason for this post is to get feedback on this issue.

I also put a half a box of speer gold dots through the little guy without an issue.

After hearing such a mix of feedback, I was hesitant to trust the LCP to go off every time i pulled the trigger, and was pleasantly surprised at its performance.

I was able to place a bit of trust in the LCP, and look forward to carrying a gun for the first time thats light enough not to pull my pants down to my hips.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I haven't had the issues you listed, however I have had issues with Gold Dots feeding into the chamber. Seems the hollow point's blunt edge catches on the lower part of the feed ramp. After running some rounds through it, it cleared that issue up. On the range it feeds Gold Dots in repeated fire with no issue. I think a lot of the issues with the LCP get fixed with break in, however, cheap .380 is hard to find, so range time gets limited (in my case at least). Not sure about your firing pin issue, I'll have to check my brass next time I take it out. :dunno:

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I haven't had the issues you listed, however I have had issues with Gold Dots feeding into the chamber. Seems the hollow point's blunt edge catches on the lower part of the feed ramp. After running some rounds through it, it cleared that issue up. On the range it feeds Gold Dots in repeated fire with no issue. I think a lot of the issues with the LCP get fixed with break in, however, cheap .380 is hard to find, so range time gets limited (in my case at least). Not sure about your firing pin issue, I'll have to check my brass next time I take it out. :dunno:

I had the same problem with the gold dots... Something strange to take note of, while gripping the gun, your finger is putting downward pressure on the magazine, pulling the next round just below the feed ramp lip... if you pick your ring finger up off of the finger extension as you rack your first round into the chamber, this does not happen. nor does it happen with the flat mag plate, because you arent pulling on it. Luckily this is only an issue when you are racking the slide by hand. when a round is loaded into the chamber and fired, the next(or first) round in the magazine always jumps right into its home, since the slide is being snapped back so much quicker.

Please do tell me how your brass looks after its fired.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I have about 500 rounds through mine without a hiccup and always use the finger extension, I don't think I fired any hollow points yet, I have them in place when carrying but not at the range yet. I definitely should fire some of my defense ammo.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I have about 500 rounds through mine without a hiccup and always use the finger extension, I don't think I fired any hollow points yet, I have them in place when carrying but not at the range yet. I definitely should fire some of my defense ammo.

I agree! you need to make sure you can feed what you count on! fire the rounds that you have been carrying. Nothing feels better than to draw your carry piece at the range, and feel the gun go boom with the ammo thats been sitting in your mag for 2 months, knocked around, and sweat on.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Please do tell me how your brass looks after its fired.

Good tips! It seems the issues of chambering HPs cleared itself (in my case) but to the above, do try to shoot at least 3 rounds through just to make sure it cycles through...your life may depend on it one day.

I remembered a bit of brass I collected last time I shot it, and it seems as though it does hit a little off center, but the impact looks good and deep. You may want to look into it, I had no issues with failure to fire, and I was using 15 year old ammo that was stored in a sock drawer for most of its life.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    It was a beautiful day yesterday, and I finally got a chance to go to the range and fire my new LCP. I was pleased with the performance of the gun. The gun was very accurate at 7 yards. I shot 50 rounds through it without a problem.
    My only complaint is the slide lock. It was difficult to move up to the lock position. I am hoping that becomes easier during the break in period.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    It was a beautiful day yesterday, and I finally got a chance to go to the range and fire my new LCP. I was pleased with the performance of the gun. The gun was very accurate at 7 yards. I shot 50 rounds through it without a problem.
    My only complaint is the slide lock. It was difficult to move up to the lock position. I am hoping that becomes easier during the break in period.

Adrenaline had trouble with hers as well, she said she's used to it now though. She only has ~150rnds through it, so I doubt she's used it enough to break it in.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I've been following this thread and thought this info might be useful since it contains some pics!

First, I have a LCP that is 100% reliable. But, that was after the slide was replaced and a little buffing on the feed ramp.

Initially I had the off-center firing pin strikes that were causing some failure to fires especially with Hornady CD rounds. Took some pics, contacted Ruger, and the slide was replaced. When I got the new slide I did a comparison of the two including a little range time for both. The results can be seen in this thread I started over on the ElsiePea forum. Did all the pics during the summer. (Got kind of OCD on the whole matter..:):)

Look through the 2 page thread. Hope it helps! BTW, Ruger was great!

Failure To Fire!!! Arrgghh!

Pics are here: Look at the imprint of the cartridge case base in relation to the firing pin channel. Should be centered. My first slide was not...

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Pappy

Last edited:

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I've been following this thread and thought this info might be useful since it contains some pics!

First, I have a LCP that is 100% reliable. But, that was after the slide was replaced and a little buffing on the feed ramp.

Initially I had the off-center firing pin strikes that were causing some failure to fires especially with Hornady CD rounds. Took some pics, contacted Ruger, and the slide was replaced. When I got the new slide I did a comparison of the two including a little range time for both. The results can be seen in this thread I started over on the ElsiePea forum. Did all the pics during the summer. (Got kind of OCD on the whole matter..:):)

Look through the 2 page thread. Hope it helps! BTW, Ruger was great!

Failure To Fire!!! Arrgghh!

Pics are here: Look at the imprint of the cartridge case base in relation to the firing pin channel. Should be centered. My first slide was not...

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Pappy

Good post.
    I returned mine to ruger. seems the guns with this problem all started with a 37 in the SN.

We'll see how they respond, considering I already buffed some internals. Also, pappy, please post the pictures here, i cannot see pictures in the other forum. thanks.

Last edited:

Docsboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Cicero, IN
    I just shot 2 different types of hollow point and some FMJ. Everything fed and shot well. I agree with accuracy. Now, if I can JUST get used to that LOOOONG trigger pull.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Just put 200 rounds FMJ through my new LCP. Not one bit of trouble at all and I'm very confident in the little pistol at this point. 3" groups at 7 yds but everything was a little low and to the left. Obvious recoil anticipation because of that looong trigger pull has me dropping the muzzle at the very end. Going to take more practice with this one for sure.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    To the OP's OP:

I know that it looks like an L in the ammo name, but it's an "S". Sellier & Bellot - Your ammunition company

And in MY experience, they tend to have relatively hard primers. At least in 9mm. S&B also tends to run a little "hot", more towards the top end of the SAAMI specifications than does other FMJ "target" ammo. Not as hot as Fiocchi, but a little more so than WWB / Federal bulk stuff.

The red paint on the primers is just there as a sealant, it's really too thin to hinder firing pin movement. It will, however, build up on your breech face and need to be cleaned off. Again, though, it shouldn't cause any functionality problems at all.

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    See, on mine, with a perfect front sight picture, it still shoots a little low and to the right... I have had at least 10 other people shoot it at the range, and they all said the same thing... I thought I was crazy, then I shot my other firearms, and it's not me, it's the LCP...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I haven't had any misfire/squib loads, with shooting FMJ and JHP, but I have only had the problem with accuracy... It is my last resort back up weapon, not my main carry, but still, I want more than just a scare...

Top Bottom