LCP updates - Slide serrations deepened?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm sure many of you are aware that the Ruger LCP underwent some updates around the beginning of the year. These updates included:

improved sights
    improved trigger (shortened travel before break)
    mag now comes with pinky extension, and box includes a flat base plate
    stiffened mag release

HOWEVER, does anyone know if they deepened the slide serrations from the previous generation? My wife always found it very difficult to get a firm enough grip on the slide to rack it, and I've heard that many other people had the same problem (due to the very shallow cuts for the serrations). Does anyone know if the serrations were deepened to help fix that problem? It appears in some pictures that they are cut deeper, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I cant tell you if they have deepend the slide cuts, but I do have to ask how she's loading it. My wife started out trying the sling shot method, reaching from the rear with thumb and index finger. She didnt have the grip or upper body strength to reliably get a round chambered. I showed he to grasp it overhand, basically putting the rear sight in the crotch of her hand between tumb and forfinger and she has had no more troubles. One big thing to watch out for, espcially less experienced shooters is the habit of pointing the pistol 90 degrees of the firing line while working the slide this way.

Hope this helps.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I cant tell you if they have deepend the slide cuts, but I do have to ask how she's loading it. My wife started out trying the sling shot method, reaching from the rear with thumb and index finger. She didnt have the grip or upper body strength to reliably get a round chambered. I showed he to grasp it overhand, basically putting the rear sight in the crotch of her hand between tumb and forfinger and she has had no more troubles. One big thing to watch out for, espcially less experienced shooters is the habit of pointing the pistol 90 degrees of the firing line while working the slide this way.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

It is possible for her to rack it, but it's always quite difficult. Under pressure, it may be impossible for her to rack it reliably, which is the biggest problem is there is a FTE, FTF, etc. when she really needed it. Seems like the primary causes of that are the weight of the recoil spring (probably can't lighten it enough to help) and the shallowness of the serrations.

Next step is probably to try putting grip tape on it or just using a different gun.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Yeah, I know what you mean.

It is possible for her to rack it, but it's always quite difficult. Under pressure, it may be impossible for her to rack it reliably, which is the biggest problem is there is a FTE, FTF, etc. when she really needed it. Seems like the primary causes of that are the weight of the recoil spring (probably can't lighten it enough to help) and the shallowness of the serrations.

Next step is probably to try putting grip tape on it or just using a different gun.

I spent the better half of a day manually racking the slide to the rear and letting it slam back into battery. Probably did it 1000 times. then handed it to my gf who said she couldn't tell the difference of the difficulty to rack it before I tried to wear it in.

Do NOT lighten those duel springs, it will fail to go into battery. I know from experience :n00b:. Had to get some new springs in the end.

Problem not resolved but hey I learned a lesson trying to alter the design resulted in new problems and just cost me a couple bucks and my time.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I checked one out at my local LGS. Didn't notice the serrations as severed thumb tendon repair requires me to use the hand over the top method for racking. But the sights are improved the trigger pull is Greatly improved.

Top Bottom