• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    As a point of reference, I just got back putting 50 round WWB 380 through my LCP, not one single hick up. My hands didn't hurt afterwards and my last two shots plinked a pop can and bowling pin right off the posts. I'm a terrible shooter to boot.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Thanks to OP for this post! I've been trying to make this same decision. Almost pulled the trigger on an LCP at the last 1500, they were $279 at most tables, $269 at one or two. I handled the Kel-Tec this week and liked it, but did consider the finish a bit rough, especially the frame rivet, but there was no question in my mind that the issue was purely aesthetic and wouldn't affect functionality. The Kahr has been on my mind, but I don't think the budget will stretch that far...going to try to handle one at the upcoming 1500 though.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I was sooo close on getting a Taurus TCP this weekend. I couldn't get off work though and he sold it to somebody that picked it up today.

Total buzz kill and I'm gonna be bummed all weekend about it.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I got the LCP when it first came out for $259 from AAC in Moorseville (before they shut down) and have never looked back. Awesome little gun. I still want to give the P380 a try at some point though.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    The Kel-Tec has a serviceable life of approximately 5,000 rounds, with a rebuild mandatory at every 1,500 to 2,000 rounds.

I know of no such limitation on the Ruger, so that's the one I personally chose.

Remember, the Kel-Tec was based around the .32acp and only resprung for the .380acp. As far as I'm aware, the Ruger was designed with the .380 in mind, and though it's a very close copy of the Kel-Tec, its design was much beefed up.

Josh

What would be done to the P3AT during this mandatory rebuild? I'm nowhere near 5,000 rounds through mine yet, but I thought I'd ask since I'm interested in these sorts of things. :yesway:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Other than a slightly better finish the lcp is an exact copy of the keltec. They are both cheap mouse guns, don't let anyone fool you.

You get what you pay for and there is a reason they are so close in price. All you get for the extra 30 bucks is a ruger emblem.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    It's not $20 cheaper.

Find me a TCP for $250 and I'll buy it instantly.

There is a guy selling one at the Lafayette gun show for $250. The one I almost bought was on Arms List with 200 rounds of .380 wwb for $275. Wish I'd have bought that one on Arms List.:xmad:

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    kel-tec just came out with a 9 round clip too. Makes it nice to have the small clip in for cc and then though the 9 rounder in when its for home protection. Im not sure if there is a high cap mag for the lcp. Makes target practice and just general shooting much nicer as you can get a full grip on it. Just a thought....
    1.jpg

2.jpg

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You get what you pay for and there is a reason they are so close in price. All you get for the extra 30 bucks is a ruger emblem.

Well the emblem and the slide stop. But I own and shoot a P3AT and find it fine. I've dealt with both Kel-Tec and Ruger service. I'd rather deal with Kel-Tec.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I have an LCP and like it very well it is my second one (first one I traded to a buddy he made me a deal I couldnt refuse!) I have never owned a Kel-Tec but have several buddies that do. Both are good guns I just prefer the Ruger. and by the way the pocket clips for the Kel-Tecs also fit the LCP.

King Matthew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Tipton
    I have the LCP, I put a pocket clip on it. I have never had an issue with it.
    I have a friend who had a P3AT that he could not get rid of fast enough, another friend carries his every day.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    ... I saw a KelTech that is carried in a leg holster and it had rusted very badly on the leg side of the gun. This rusty gun is carried every day. I dont believe the LCP will rust this way.
    I have carried my LCP in an ankle holster most every day since I got it last April and it shows no signs of rust or pitting though it does get pretty dusty in that location.

... Im not sure if there is a high cap mag for the lcp....
    ProMag makes 10 round and 15 round magazines for the LCP. I haven’t tried these.

I use a +1 Grip extension sold by Impact Guns. I like this one.
    LCP_EXT_1.jpg

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I've been considering a Sig P238, Kahr P380 and Ruger LCP. The more I read about .380 pocketguns, the more uneasy I become. Seems they all have "issues" regardless of price. Why pay $600 for something that fails to feed, when I can have the same experience for less than $300. I'm certainly not going to pay $1,000 for a Seecamp, when they aren't perfect either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    Anyone out there owned both or switched to the other for any reason. Im familiar with Ruger products but kel-tec seems have a faithful following so im just wondering if its worth the extra money for the Ruger

I own and carry a Keltec, and my wife owns and carries an LCP. The answer is: it depends. ;)

Reliability: is the same in my experience - both have yet to have a hickup. Zero problems.

Build quality: is where the differences come out. The Ruger is a tighter gun. The fit of parts is better. The Ruger also has a different feel to its surface... It feels more sturdy to me.

Features
    : The Ruger has a slide lock lever, and the KelTec does not - This comes in handy for cleaning and unloading the Ruger; this can be a pain with the KelTec, where you have to risk a mashed finger when fishing it down the ejection port to manually activate the slide lock, if you don't have an empty mag handy.

Overview
    : The LCP and P3AT are functionally equivalent, and equally reliable; but the Ruger is finished noticeably better.

I've been considering a Sig P238, Kahr P380 and Ruger LCP. The more I read about .380 pocketguns, the more uneasy I become. Seems they all have "issues" regardless of price. Why pay $600 for something that fails to feed, when I can have the same experience for less than $300. I'm certainly not going to pay $1,000 for a Seecamp, when they aren't perfect either.

Not to be rude, but you need to do two things, or your anxiety will never subside:
    1) stop putting so much faith in gun-rags (the 'American Rifleman' no doubt)
    2) come to grips with the fact that NO model or manufacturer is perfect or without issues.

Lets face reality: about a Trillion pocket 380s of all makes and models have been sold the last 2 years. Even if a mere fraction of one single percent have some manner of problem, and only half of these problems get reported, Google is still going to turn up a dozen horror stories.

If a pocket 380 has a use for YOU, then BUY ONE. The reason you are anxious is because you put your faith in a cold, finite machine - not in your training. This is a common fallacy among the gun community. Guns are relatively simple machines, not magic talismans. 99% of quality guns will never have a problem within their designated service lives. If they DO, its a simple matter of replacing a part or righting some mechanical property its NOT Ju-Ju.

When your cars alternator goes bad, you REPLACE it, you don't sell an otherwise good car. Why? because its a transportation machine, not a magic carpet. Likewise a gun is a defensive machine, not a good luck charm.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There's three KelTecs in our family, and I just picked up the LCP, so I'll have a chance to try them side by side. One thing that I was confused about is that the slide lock on the LCP does not operate on an empty magazine, it only works manually. One reason I wanted the LCP over the KelTec was because I thought the slide lock would lock the slide back on an empty mag.

Initial impressions are that as many have said, the fit and finish on the LCP are better, and the bluing seems to be better. Given how easily the KelTec blued version rusts I'll be curious to see how the LCP holds up under the same conditions.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Not to be rude, but you need to do two things, or your anxiety will never subside:
    1) stop putting so much faith in gun-rags (the 'American Rifleman' no doubt)
    2) come to grips with the fact that NO model or manufacturer is perfect or without issues.
    "rude?" - heck no, I appreciate your candor.
    Lets face reality: about a Trillion pocket 380s of all makes and models have been sold the last 2 years. Even if a mere fraction of one single percent have some manner of problem, and only half of these problems get reported, Google is still going to turn up a dozen horror stories.

While I've owned a few semi-auto pistols, I have mostly carried .38 revolvers and/or a PPK for almost 40 years. This is somewhat of a paradigm shift for me. No doubt I am over-analyzing. Thanks for the reality check.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just picked up a P380 after MONTHS of shameless lusting. The sights, trigger (excellent!), fit & finish (it's a little jewel!), and SS magazines pushed me over the top... I'll report back once I take her for a dance. I've owned a P32, LCP, and my bro has a TCP, so I'll compare objectively.

Top Bottom