• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Also, a revolver has no safety. You just pull the trigger and it goes bang. On the other hand, if anything in your pocket, or the holster edge, touches the trigger, it goes bang.
    quote]

Many semi-autos have no safety (no external safety if you want to nitpick) such as glocks or m&p's. I would say that "touching" the trigger on a revolver, at least the ones I've shot, would cause it to fire. We're talking about 8 plus pounds of force to fire a double action revolver. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't think a revolver with any sort of decent holster is any less safe than a semi-auto. I'm all for semi-autos, I carry one myself but for my mother on the other hand a smith revolver was just the ticket. OP, don't rule anything out until you hold and shoot it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Many semi-autos have no safety (no external safety if you want to nitpick) such as glocks or m&p's. I would say that "touching" the trigger on a revolver, at least the ones I've shot, would cause it to fire. We're talking about 8 plus pounds of force to fire a double action revolver. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't think a revolver with any sort of decent holster is any less safe than a semi-auto. I'm all for semi-autos, I carry one myself but for my mother on the other hand a smith revolver was just the ticket. OP, don't rule anything out until you hold and shoot it.

My M&P 45 has a safety. I will admit that I am biased, in that I GREATLY prefer a handgun that has a safety if I am going to carry it. If I can reduce the chance, no matter how small, that I will shoot myself in the leg while I re-holster, then I will do it.

As for relying on a heavy trigger pull as the only form of safety, remember, this is for a female, and it may eventually find itself being carried in a purse. Have you ever watched a woman dig through her purse to find her car keys? :dunno::popcorn:

Of course, the fact remains is that I personally just have never cared for any revolver I have shot, even though I owned a couple with which I was very accurate.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Between those two I would much rather have the LCR personally. Much more comfortable to shoot, more accurate, and a much better trigger in my opinion. I love a nice revolver, easy to use and very reliable. Good luck with your decision.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If it is between LCP and LCR, I would probably recommend LCR. The Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP copy is SNAPPY. Unless you are an experienced shooter, it is a little much. The LCR is easier to handle. For some, the slide is hard to manipulate on the P3AT/LCR.

The heavier and larger the gun gets, the easier it is to handle.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    My M&P 45 has a safety. I will admit that I am biased, in that I GREATLY prefer a handgun that has a safety if I am going to carry it. If I can reduce the chance, no matter how small, that I will shoot myself in the leg while I re-holster, then I will do it.

As for relying on a heavy trigger pull as the only form of safety, remember, this is for a female, and it may eventually find itself being carried in a purse. Have you ever watched a woman dig through her purse to find her car keys? :dunno::popcorn:

Of course, the fact remains is that I personally just have never cared for any revolver I have shot, even though I owned a couple with which I was very accurate.

The thumb safety is an option on the m&p. Many do not have them. I was just trying to make a point there, not show how much I do or do not know about pistols. If you think an automatic such as an LCP would do better in a purse than a revolver I would disagree. All that crudd in a womans purse could get into all sorts of places on a semi-auto that could cause a malfunction. If you get a revolver with a concealed hammer you don't have that issue. Again, I don't know what would be better for the OP in this situation, just trying to show both points of view.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Personally, my carry rig requires a proper holster for proper carry. If she is trained correctly she won't just drop her gun in her purse to be molested by everything else that is dropped in there and she won't have to have a police report taken at the very least on why she had a negligent discharge... My safety is my finger control and the gear that I invest in to protect and carry my life line...

A good defensive pistol course should be first in order I would believe...

Just saying...

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have an LCP and I love it for what it is... a small pistol that you can carry anywhere without fear of printing. If you put it in a Crossbreed minituck it will disappear under anything.

Is it fun to shoot? Absolutely NOT!

Is it accurate? I can keep all my holes touching at 30'.

Is it reliable? I had problems at first, sent it into them, haven't had a single hiccup since. So I am pleased.

If you want to come down to Indy and I am able, I would be happy to meet up with you (and hubby) and let you try it out.

EDIT: Just saw the post by "hubby"... I guess you don't need to try mine. I do however recommend sending it into Ruger to get it fixed. They paid shipping both ways for me and fixed mine from doing exactly what your is doing to working 100% of the time with any ammo I have been able to try.

Mrs. Mk2ja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Beijing, China
    I actually do not carry a purse, so when I do get a gun, I will be carrying it on my person. Although, I am not sure which kind of holster to get yet. I've thought about the ankle kind (to put under my pant leg) but beyond that, it's another subject I need educated on. And yes, I will be taking defensive pistol courses :)

Personally, my carry rig requires a proper holster for proper carry. If she is trained correctly she won't just drop her gun in her purse to be molested by everything else that is dropped in there and she won't have to have a police report taken at the very least on why she had a negligent discharge... My safety is my finger control and the gear that I invest in to protect and carry my life line...

A good defensive pistol course should be first in order I would believe...

Just saying...

Last edited:

Mrs. Mk2ja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Beijing, China
    So Caleb can send it to Ruger and they will fix it? That's what we were wondering. Thank you for letting us know!

I have an LCP and I love it for what it is... a small pistol that you can carry anywhere without fear of printing. If you put it in a Crossbreed minituck it will disappear under anything.

Is it fun to shoot? Absolutely NOT!

Is it accurate? I can keep all my holes touching at 30'.

Is it reliable? I had problems at first, sent it into them, haven't had a single hiccup since. So I am pleased.

If you want to come down to Indy and I am able, I would be happy to meet up with you (and hubby) and let you try it out.

EDIT: Just saw the post by "hubby"... I guess you don't need to try mine. I do however recommend sending it into Ruger to get it fixed. They paid shipping both ways for me and fixed mine from doing exactly what your is doing to working 100% of the time with any ammo I have been able to try.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    A quality class will be very benificial for your personal safety... Again hit up Class3sales, and if you need any other help in that area drop me a PM and I'll hook you up with a Front sight instructor and a NRA/Utah permit instructor here in NWI which conduct some of the training for my Gunbunnies models... They are very professional and well versed.... As you probably know from your profession that a education is priceless and several view points can only arm you even better...

Also just a suggestion, as I use to carry a backup in a ankle holster, if that's your primary carry piece I would not do that. You won't be able to realize you need the gun and be able to get to your ankle before the incident is already decided by the bad guy... Keep your primary carry gun closer to your natural positions of your hands where you can grab it as a second thought... Just saying from experience...

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I actually do not carry a purse, so when I do get a gun, I will be carrying it on my person. Although, I am not sure which kind of holster to get yet. I've thought about the ankle kind (to out under my pant leg) but beyond that, it's another subject I need educated on. And yes, I will be taking defensive pistol courses :)

If your looking to carry for self defence I dont recomend an ancle holster especially if it is going to be your main carry. Think about it for a sec your grabed from behind by the bad guy. you struggle loos and now you have to put your self in a prone position to get your gun. the draw time from the ancle is not the best by any means. now if you were to carry it with a in the pants holster placed in the small of your back the draw time would be at least 2-3 times faster then the ancle and still comfertable to carry. In your case you want to deside what you want first then adapt your carry to it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Consider the Taurus 709 Slim. Single stack makes it easier for smaller feminine hands to grip and control. 7+1 and mags give more rounds and quicker re-load than the LCP, SP101 or Taurus 85. It has the external safety for the right-hand thumb and the Glock-style trigger safety. Light trigger pull makes it far easier to hold on target than the LCP or SP101. The 9mm ammo gives reasonable stopping power (especially with hollow points), is economical and readily available. Recoil is less than the LCP and far more manageable—no pain when practicing. Taurus has a great warranty (lifetime on the gun) and has fulfilled its warranty well in my experience. The 709 can be had for about the same price as the LCP, new or used, too.

The High Noon tuckable holster works great with it. I can carry w/o printing, and I am only 5'11", 165—even with my dress shirt tucked in as is proper with a tie. Also, Mk2ja knows where to find one for test-firing when you are in the Fort and I am in Nepal and Myanmar next February. :whistle: Just make sure he cleans it well after use. :-) Well, he should teach you to clean it since it is a fundamental part of using a firearm. If you won't clean it, don't fire it.;)

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If your looking to carry for self defence I dont recomend an ancle holster especially if it is going to be your main carry. Think about it for a sec your grabed from behind by the bad guy. you struggle loos and now you have to put your self in a prone position to get your gun. the draw time from the ancle is not the best by any means. now if you were to carry it with a in the pants holster placed in the small of your back the draw time would be at least 2-3 times faster then the ancle and still comfertable to carry. In your case you want to deside what you want first then adapt your carry to it.

:yesway: Excellent explanation.

Mrs. Mk2ja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Beijing, China
    I Googled that gun and I agree with you, it looks like it would be quite comfortable to grip and control. It looks bigger, but would be better than the LCP for plinking and practicing at the range. I will definitely let mk2ja "find" that gun for me to try out when I am in Fort Wayne ;) And yes, I am looking forward to him teaching me to clean guns, too, as that is something I have never done before. In Feb, It is my goal to find which gun I would like to purchase so that I know which gun to save up for after I return from China at the end of June :) I think somebody here mentioned possibly getting together for a handgun shoot? I think that would be perfect, because then I could try as many different guns as possible and hopefully find a good match for me! :)

Consider the Taurus 709 Slim. Single stack makes it easier for smaller feminine hands to grip and control. 7+1 and mags give more rounds and quicker re-load than the LCP, SP101 or Taurus 85. It has the external safety for the right-hand thumb and the Glock-style trigger safety. Light trigger pull makes it far easier to hold on target than the LCP or SP101. The 9mm ammo gives reasonable stopping power (especially with hollow points), is economical and readily available. Recoil is less than the LCP and far more manageable—no pain when practicing. Taurus has a great warranty (lifetime on the gun) and has fulfilled its warranty well in my experience. The 709 can be had for about the same price as the LCP, new or used, too.

The High Noon tuckable holster works great with it. I can carry w/o printing, and I am only 5'11", 165—even with my dress shirt tucked in as is proper with a tie. Also, Mk2ja knows where to find one for test-firing when you are in the Fort and I am in Nepal and Myanmar next February. :whistle: Just make sure he cleans it well after use. :-) Well, he should teach you to clean it since it is a fundamental part of using a firearm. If you won't clean it, don't fire it.;)

Mrs. Mk2ja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Beijing, China
    In all my research, I am still in love with the LCP though. To me, you cannot beat its look. And it's so light. Only 9.4 ounces. The Taurus 709 Slim is more than double the weight of the LCP. I Googled Ruger LCP vs. Taurus 709 Slim and I got mixed reviews.

I think picking out a gun is just going to have to wait until I can physically fire different pistols in Feb. But I will definitely continue the research, I am having such a good time! :)

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I may be in the minority, but I think that a "good" pocket gun for concealed carry (or any carry for a lady) is NOT going to make for a good range/plinking gun. Trying to find something that works well for both is notgonnahappen.

LCPs, 709 Slims, are simply not fun to shoot. Not really meant to be. They're going to stay on your person and only be pulled out in an emergency. You may shoot them occaisionally just to re-familiarize yourself with them, but you're not going to plink with them. I HATE shooting the LCP. But its a necessary evil.

But if you move up to a gun that is EASY to shoot well (like my Ruger SR9c) you've given up the size and weight. Yes, the SR9c is compact and I have no issues carrying it concealed, but it is by no means a pocket gun.

True sub-compacts/pocket guns, compacts and full size guns all have their place and purpose. I'm afraid you really need to buy at least two! :D For example, you need the LCP AND the SR9. The grip on the SR9 would probably fit you and it is EASY and FUN to shoot.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I may be in the minority, but I think that a "good" pocket gun for concealed carry (or any carry for a lady) is NOT going to make for a good range/plinking gun. Trying to find something that works well for both is notgonnahappen.

LCPs, 709 Slims, are simply not fun to shoot. Not really meant to be. They're going to stay on your person and only be pulled out in an emergency. You may shoot them occaisionally just to re-familiarize yourself with them, but you're not going to plink with them. I HATE shooting the LCP. But its a necessary evil.

I'm afraid though that if her first gun is something that's unpleasant to shoot, like the LCP, that she isn't going to want to shoot it, and isn't going to become comfortable with it, and won't want to enjoy range time.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Just a note on weight of the gun and recoil or controllability. It's normal at first look to want something very light because it won't add any work to actually carrying it day to day but with all good things there are trade off's to take into consideration. The lighter a firearm is the less control you will have over it when you are firing it. The more uncomfortable it is too fire and therefore the less desire you will have to shoot the gun that you have decided to carry to defend your life... This will produce a false sense of security as you won't practice with it and you won't be proficient with it either. Also as a personal consideration I don't feel the 380 is enough gun to stop a persistent criminal intending to do me harm... I kinda think the 9mm is the bottom of the barrel as far as calibers, but that is up to the individual.. The 709 would make a formidable choice in carry pistols, as would the 357 mag snubbies, etc...

On a pistol shoot to attend, I believe in June there should be another NWI-INGO meet and shoot event out at Winamac F & W firing range, we were holding them once a month all last summer and there was always a large cadre of fine shooters and their large collections of firearms to try out... Keep an eye on the Events threads as you get closer to coming back in June... February probably won't be a good month for us to hold one as the cold is a real outdoor party killer...

Good luck in your firearms learning adventure...

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    FWIW, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock 26. Recoil is VERY manageable. 9mm ammo is much easier to find and cheaper than .380 last time I checked. More capacity. Just very easy to handle and fun to shoot for a smaller gun. Easy to conceal with a good carry rig (Kholster, Crossbreed Supertuck, M-TAC) and a good belt. Having a good belt makes the biggest difference when it comes to comfort and keeping your gun where it should be.

Best of luck in your search.

Top Bottom