• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Question for you LE guys out there. What ammo do you carry for your duty .223 and .308 rifles? I ask because military has to follow Nato rules, i.e. no expanding bullets but cops do not. I think we all know that sierra match HPBT's fly straight but I'm not sure thats what I'd want in a confrontation. I'd probably want something with a ballistic tip.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Question for you LE guys out there. What ammo do you carry for your duty .223 and .308 rifles? I ask because military has to follow Nato rules, i.e. no expanding bullets but cops do not. I think we all know that sierra match HPBT's fly straight but I'm not sure thats what I'd want in a confrontation. I'd probably want something with a ballistic tip.

The .223 round yaws after entering the body. Thereby making a much larger wound cavity. So, I would trust using FMJ ammo. All my mags are loaded with 5.56 55 grain FMJ ammo. I do have some Hornady and other polymer tiped ammo. However, I have that set back for my bolt action. From what I have read. The .308 round has more energy at 1,000 yards, then the .357 magnum round does at point blank range. You hit someone center mass, it's game over.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I use Hornandy Tap, M855 ,and M193. We were issued regular M193 (range)and Hornandy TAP (duty) after that I have to buy my own so I use M855,Hornandy TAP(duty) and M193 for the range. I do have some 69 and 77 gr BTHP Sierra Match King ammo but I only use that for NRA high power matches.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Our department uses some type of plastic bullet. So not to go through apartment walls. Drywall will stop it. Carry a spare mag with FMJ in it.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We carry FMJ in our rifles. I would think that a bonded soft point round would be far better but the cost difference is huge.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Not a cop, but I keep Ballistic tips in my HD gun. I know that TAP is good, accurate ammo, so I'd reccoemnt it as well. I"m also thinking that some Varmint Grenades would work well and have very little chance of overpenetrating in the home.

Doug K

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    They all have their purposes. At work most of us use different variations of Federal Tactical or Winchester Penetrator.

LE223T3.jpg

Can't find a pic of the box with info on it but, I'm pretty sure that the stuff I use is the 62gr bonded version. There is a 55gr version available as well but, the 62gr did much better at penetrating auto glass.

pop_wm_1258942.jpg

With that said, I keep the two mags in my AR loaded up with Federal Tactical but, I keep the two in my gear bag and the 2 in my go bag loaded up with whatever decent FMJ rounds I could get a good deal on. If ammo is going to make a difference, I'll gladly spend a little extra money to have the best available to me but, if the gunfight it going to take more than the 54 rounds I have in my AR, well, I don't think that ammo is going to make that much of a difference and I sure the hell can't afford to load all my mags with the good stuff!

I keep 28 rounds in my 30 round mags.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Don't know about humans, but against other mammals the 75 AMax in 223 and the 155 Scenar in 308 are both fabulous in their effects.

I don't see how human targets would change the game of weight retention, reliable expansion across a wide range of impact velocities, consistent construction, and a bearing surface that aids speed.

Top Bottom