• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Which action is more reliable in cycling mass quantitites of 7.62/.308?

Is the AR the better platform? It would seem so.

All input welcome.

This would be a home defense/prepper carbine.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    For home defense/prepper purposes I would go with the AR. It's more versatile in terms of being able to handle I wider range of game size, especially if you invest in a 22lr conversion. Although the regular ammo will still kill small game it may or may not leave much left to use depending on POI, but it can still be done. The ammo will be cheaper when prices return to normal. It's a bit easier to use and more ergonomic for defensive purposes in a wider range of scenarios.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE a good M1a. But it's larger, more expensive gun and ammo, and thus more restrictive in a larger variety of scenarios.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    Once you get your adapter so you can switch out uppers the 901 should be the more practical since you'll have the capability of a multi-caliber rifle. You can keep a .223 (or another caliber AR) upper set up for patrol and mid-range HD, and then your .308 upper as a better long range and hunting option in a SHTF scenario.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I've got extensive range time with both platforms, have owned multiple examples of each, and was just talking about this earlier today. The AR has matured into a great rifle while the M14/M1A is old-school perfection. At the end of the day, shooting the AR makes me feel like a detached, mechanized weapons system handler, or some such. Shooting the M1A makes me feel like a soldier, a patriot, a muddy, sweaty, practitioner of some seldom encountered long-range black magic.

It's got its drawbacks but for pure visceral appeal, I know what my choice would be.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    The 901 is not all that proven yet. However, I bet it will be fine as far as reliability go.

M1A/M14 variants are fine, with the nod going to those with more GI parts or Chinese guns for that matter.

Can't really go wrong with either, however, ease of use goes to the AR platform all day long.

The M14 is the rifleman's rifle. They are reliable and accurate but the AR platform rifle will typically out shoot the M14 (not by much).

Don't count out the FAL for the SHTF rifle (not so much carbine).

I have experience with all of the above.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I am a M1A fan, put 350 rounds throughout the SOCOM this morning. Carried an M14 in the Marines. It is a very reliable weapon and powerful round.

Don

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Which action is more reliable in cycling mass quantitites of 7.62/.308?

I have a Socom and Standard. They are both highly reliable. As long as you keep them greased up, they are GTG. M1As are nicely piston-driven and nothing sounds better then the pinging sound when firing.

Top Bottom