• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VIETVET191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    I want to reload a cartridge for an 1888 Commission Rifle using a lead bullet. I have a bullet with a brinell hardness of 25. The problem is that in order to chamber the round I have to seat the bullet so the base is below the neck of the casing. Also the bullet doesn't have a rebate for a gas check.

I read somewhere that a lead bullet should not be seated past the neck of a casing. Is this true?

I slugged the barrel and it measured .3215. I have been using a jacketed bullet of .321 and have had no problems except that the accuracy is not what I would like. I guess that .0005 is enough to make a difference. The lead bullet is .322. That would make the lead bullet .0005 larger than the bore and I was hoping for a little better accuracy. The jacketed bullets have been giving me about 6" to 8" groups at 100 yrds. I've been loading 31 grains of IMR4064 and the bullet is 170 grains. The lead bullet is the same weight. I planed on using 29 grains for the lead bullet.

Does anyone know for sure if there's a problem with using the lead bullet?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am not incredibly knowledgeable on this matter, but it doesn't seem like you are really pushing it enough to require a gas check.... worst case is accuracy will suffer and you will have lots of lead fouling... I don't see any reason not to at least try it.

BUT stay tuned for more informed people to give you better quality advice.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    The only caution that I am aware of with seating cast below neck is if it is a gas checked bullet. It is possible that the check might somehow come loose and drop into the case.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    As long as the gas check is tightly crimped on the base of the bullet and you can't pry it off with your finger you should be fine.

I shoot a 180 grain bullet with a gas check in my 358 win and the check is well past the neck (see picture). It is an extremely accurate load.

If you don't have a check then no worries. Accuracy could suffer if you have a bullet designed for a gas check but are not using a gas check. A plain based bullet should do good up to around 25-30 kpsi with the alloy you described. I personnaly have never shot a lead bullet of that hard an alloy. I prefer a softer alloy for lower velocity shooting. I look forward to your results. Good luck.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    The only caution that I am aware of with seating cast below neck is if it is a gas checked bullet. It is possible that the check might somehow come loose and drop into the case.

Do you or Leadeye have any data to back that up ??

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Much the same, info from Cast Boolits. Clearly as described above with the check solidly crimped on there shouldn't be an issue, but how good a crimp job was on the bullets described on CB we'll never know.:)

You might try bumping up the diameter of the lead bullet if you are casting it, lots of good info over at CB on how to do that as well.:)

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Exactly, Internet sillyness. In most calibers with bottleneck cases when you cast a middle weight to a heavyweight bullet it will seat well below the bottom of the neck. Also when you seat gas checks with a lubricater sizer that check will not come off. The top of the check bites into the bullet when it is seated.

VIETVET191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. It seems the consensus is that it shouldn't cause a problem if the base extends past the neck. As I said in the original post, the bullet does not have a rebate so I will not be using a gas check. These were bullets I bought about a year ago and I was concerned about using them because of what I read.
    Because I'm using such a light load, I'm not concerned about over taxing the rifle. I guess I'll load 5 rounds, take them to the range and see what happens. All I'm looking for is something to do some shooting with. I'm not hunting or shooting 500 yrds. I just want to have some fun with a 124 year old rifle.
    Again, thanks everyone.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. It seems the consensus is that it shouldn't cause a problem if the base extends past the neck. As I said in the original post, the bullet does not have a rebate so I will not be using a gas check. These were bullets I bought about a year ago and I was concerned about using them because of what I read.
    Because I'm using such a light load, I'm not concerned about over taxing the rifle. I guess I'll load 5 rounds, take them to the range and see what happens. All I'm looking for is something to do some shooting with. I'm not hunting or shooting 500 yrds. I just want to have some fun with a 124 year old rifle.
    Again, thanks everyone.

Nothing like enjoying an old gun, check out Cast Boolits sometime if you haven't already.:)

VIETVET191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Well I loaded a couple of rounds and went to the back 40 to test them. They fired OK and seemed to be where I aimed (I didn't set up a target).
    I'll load 20 and take them to the range the next time. Thanks to everyone again for the advice.

Top Bottom