• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I shot some lead 9mm bullets through my XDM last night and I was noticing a lot of smoke. Is this normal? They are 124gr bullets with 4.1gr of HP38 and CCI primers. I would like to change over to lead to save some money. I did shoot some FMJ bullets and the accuracy seem to be better with them. Maybe all the smoke was obstructing my view. I have read here that many people think the lead is more accurate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Yeah the lube does smoke it up a bit. Some manufacturers bullets smoke worse than others due to the lube or excess amount of lube they use. I use dardas bullets, they have been the best so far I have tried, Missouri is a close 2nd. My experience I can get greater accuracy out of lead. You just have to tinker with powder levels until you find the sweet spot.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have read here that many people think the lead is more accurate.

I would agree with that, assuming you do your part.

I say this and I am not a caster. I buy all my cast bullets. My knowledge is also limited with cast bullets, but yet many of my most accurate loads for many calibers are cast. If I can do it, so can you.

One caliber where I have not fared the best with cast is 9mm though. Now in all fairness, I have not been to motivated in that caliber. I need to work some more on it. Currently, I place more importance in ammo that functions ALL of our SEVERAL 9mm's and quite a few of them do have the polygonal barrel.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Polygonal barrels don't like lead bullets at all. The lead gets left behind real bad and loads up. Lead should not be shot over some say 1200fps others 1400fps. Would recommend cleaning barrel very good before shooting any more. XDM and Glocks have Polygonal bbl's.

GlockMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ok, I didn't think XDMs had polygonal barrels that why I was using the lead bullets. I guess I will need to use them in my 92F. What would you recommend I use to clean the barrel? I used Hoppes #9.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Ok, I didn't think XDMs had polygonal barrels that why I was using the lead bullets. I guess I will need to use them in my 92F. What would you recommend I use to clean the barrel? I used Hoppes #9.

Use a good enough lead bullet and keep it slow and you won't have leading issues. I have fired thousands through my xd with no leading. As for the match having a poly rifled barrel, I have never saw one with it??

Top Bottom