• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Like others have said here, lead does not hurt any barrel. If you are getting traces of leading in your barrel, go to a softer allow. Most commercial lead bullet alloys are way harder than they need be.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    The return in revenue is to great not to shoot lead bullets. If your cleaning because of lead fouling something is wrong with your load! I shoot over 1000 rounds before cleaning my 2011

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When the 1911 was designed, lead bullets were what they had. Any conventional rifled barrel pistol will do fine with lead bullets, especially in the 700-900 fps velocity range. Like many others, cast 200 gr SWC in my .45s, with 230gr. LRN being a close second has been working well for me since 1976. There are guys that shoot lead at a lot faster velocity, but I never experimented with it other than some gas checked bullets in th 30/30 WIN. Good Luck

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    My question is this: "Why would you shoot anything BUT lead in a 1911? Well, maybe in an indoor range to keep smoke to a minimum but, still, all of my handguns have a mould that I cast for them with......ALL OF THEM!

If it weren't for lead bullets, they'd see no bullets at all! ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shoot lead all the time in my 1911.

Even left a smear in it for a long while, wouldn't come out (with major scrubbing and usual solvents), was like that for 2 yrs before I discovered "Lead Away" patches :)

k2ace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have no complaints with lead other then the extra smoke. I have heard its lube and/or lead vapor. I use mostly reloads in my 1911's, both plated(rainier or berrys)and cast lead(missouri bullet). I don't shoot much lead indoor because of the smoke. I also get better grouping with lead.

Top Bottom