Lead paint laws in Indiana for Homeowner?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have to repaint the only wood surface on our home, the garage trim, it has lead paint on it.

I know the basics of dealing with lead paint, but what laws do I have to follow as a homeowner, doing the job myself, in the state of Indiana?

IMG_20140912_224817_3311_zpsc11ea3df.jpg

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Picture up of the worst spot.

Paint is mostly sound, some bare spots and chips missing, some flaking off but still attached. I rarely see chips on the ground.

Garage door was replaced a few years ago and they did full abatement and you can see where the old trim was attached.

I was going to pick off the big flakes, scrape once, then paint.

Last edited:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    There is a combination of factors that come into play... A few questions. children in the house? house built before 1978? how many square feet are you painting interior/exterior? business on premises? tested positive by a licensed inspector? You can probably guess what happens next unless all of your responses are no.

You are going to be dealing with Federal and State regs on this deal. It's probably best to hire a lead certified, licensed contractor who will provide you with an abatement scope of service and notification as required.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Unknown test but door was professionally installed and they did abatement, No kids, built 1958, 6 inches of wood on exterior side of a 16x7 door so, 6" x (7'+16'+7') = 15 sq. ft.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    As a homeowner you need to do nothing. The RRP rule is for paid contractors only. Since it is outdoors....I see no problems even if children present unless you feed them chips. If you ever get tired of painting you could always wrap them sides ;)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    That's fine. Sand lightly (don't breath the dust,duh), prime, and paint.
    The Feds tried to regulate sanding, scraping, burning, removal of lead based paint a few years ago and "required" professional painters to be "certified" and pay for the "education" to safely remove lead.
    In my thirty years in the business, I've never heard about anyone ever getting busted, or even investigated.
    Even so, as long as the project is less than somewhere around 15 sq. ft., the regulations don't apply.
    don't worry about "laws", my only concern would be keeping kids away from dust and chips.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    There is a combination of factors that come into play... A few questions. children in the house? house built before 1978? how many square feet are you painting interior/exterior? business on premises? tested positive by a licensed inspector? You can probably guess what happens next unless all of your responses are no.

You are going to be dealing with Federal and State regs on this deal. It's probably best to hire a lead certified, licensed contractor who will provide you with an abatement scope of service and notification as required.

Come on man, a "lead certified, licensed contractor"??? To paint three pieces of trim?
    you want him to turn a one hour job he can do himself into a $600 project?!

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Unknown test but door was professionally installed and they did abatement, No kids, built 1958, 6 inches of wood on exterior side of a 16x7 door so, 6" x (7'+16'+7') = 15 sq. ft.

The good.... You are under the 20 sq feet exterior rule. You don't have young children as residents. The bad.... Yep, that's deteriorating paint looks like chalking and chipping (lead indicators). There is a stipulation for exterior molding, trim gingerbread work and the like that says something like "limited to 10% peel or chipping".

I would go with the 10% rule and wear a mask.... There is no government regulation that will substitute for common sense.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The good.... You are under the 20 sq feet exterior rule. You don't have young children as residents. The bad.... Yep, that's deteriorating paint looks like chalking and chipping (lead indicators). There is a stipulation for exterior molding, trim gingerbread work and the like that says something like "limited to 10% peel or chipping".

I would go with the 10% rule and wear a mask.... There is no government regulation that will substitute for common sense.

Less than 10 percent is chipping and only that will be removed... i'm not trying to be on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens.... just appease the mother-in-law and prevent rot.

Top Bottom