• ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi Guys and Gals.
    There have been quite a few inquiries at Beech Grove Firearms and Range about shooting leagues and Gary Burge has asked me several times about starting one.
    I used to shoot on the Hoosiers Hills pistol team in association with the Indianapolis Pistol League that used to shoot at The Gun Room on Elmwood Ave. in Beech Grove, over by the bowling alley on I-465 and Emerson Ave.

That was many years ago and that alone does not make me qualified for anything except that I remember how it worked at the time and for a short time I was the President of the league mostly because no one else wanted to be tied down with it.
    Anyway, it would be great to start one up again. It gives you a reason or purpose to shoot and to meet and fellowship with other like minded shooters, that's always fun and rewarding in and of itself.
    The way it used to work was we would all meet up on I believe Monday nights at around 7:00 pm and shoot untill everyone had scored.
    The course of fire was 10 shots in a ten minute time frame and it was called "slow fire", the target was an official NRA slow fire target shot at 50 ft.
    Nexted was "timed fire", you had 1 minute to fire ten shots using an official NRA timed fire target fired at 50 ft.
    The last course of fire was "rapid fire" in which you had 10 seconds to fire ten shots. It used an official NRA rapid fire target at of course, 50 ft. It worked like this, The range manager would call out in a even cadence, ready on the right, ready on the left, ready on the firing line and then blow a whistle to start the course of fire.
    The even cadence would give you the opportunity to be prepared for your first shot so you wouldn't get "behind the ball" so to speak and end up with your last shot being disqualified for being after the whistle which ended the course of fire. This would result in your higest scoring shot being deducted from your score for that target. Embarrassing to say the least.
    Now one problem with formal league shooting is the time frame, not everyone can "be there" at a specific time on a given day even though this enhances fellowship among shooters. So since there is "always" a range manager present at the Beech Grove range, they might be accommodating most any time if time permits.
    Targets seem to be in short supply lately so a good supply of NRA approved targets might be hard to come by, a supply will have to be worked out if there is enough interest to start a league in the first place.
    Caliber of weapon is usually 22LR but with the ammo shortage this might be a problem for some and not everyone has a suitable 22 caliber handgun so maybe a "shoot what you brung" format might be in order. It would only be 30 shots per week and if you miss a week it wouldn't count against you.
    Scoring of targets would be done by anyone other than yourself.
    Now another possibility is an Apple Seed rifle competition but I'm not familiar with that form of competition, at least not yet.
    So, wrapping this up, we need to determine if there really is enough interest to get this going. I'm going to see if Gary will let me put up a
    sign for league sign-up of those who might be interested at the range counter and when you come in you can do so and watch this INGO posting for more information. Thanks for looking.

I have also posted this on Beech Groves Firearms and Range link at INGO's, Gun shops/Class III and Ranges.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    So obviously the time limits deviated from NRA bullseye rules quite a bit. I assume it was probably two-handed shooting also?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    So obviously the time limits deviated from NRA bullseye rules quite a bit. I assume it was probably two-handed shooting also?

We shot single hand strong side (your preferance) but for now I see no need to limit new shooters to one hand shooting since for now at least it is just for fun and enjoyment.
    We'll just have to see how it developes in the future.

Thanks to Bob I now have a sourse for official NRA targets.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I used to shoot on a pistol league that worked in a similar way. We stayed right on the NRA pistol competition rules and sometimes sent teams to NRA shoots. That way members were already familiar with the rules and cadence.

I think this sounds like a great idea and I would love to participate. I would have time to help administer it as well, at least for the startup.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    OK everyone, spread the word.
    Some of the targets are in and others on their way. You will need three targets and I'm going to guess they will cost $0.50 each, we'll have to make adjustments as we go because they buy them by the pound? and I don't know how that works out per target.
    Were going to start off on Tuesday evening March 2, 2013 starting at six o'clock and last call will be at seven o'clock.
    We will do our best and make adjustments as needed in the future.
    They will be standard range prices, $12.50 per half hour.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just for the benefit of anyone who might be thinking of attending, what do you need to bring? I'd assume a .22 pistol with capacity of 10 rounds, and 50/100 rounds of ammo?

Also, can you tell folks what the NRA target number is printed on the bottom of the targets (B-33, B8, etc.)

Last edited:

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I would be intrested in checking this out. I have never done anything like this. Sounds like a good time.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Just for the benefit of anyone who might be thinking of attending, what do you need to bring? I'd assume a .22 pistol with capacity of 10 rounds, and 50/100 rounds of ammo?

Also, can you tell folks what the NRA target number is printed on the bottom of the targets (B-33, B8, etc.)

To start with, bring 30 rounds of any (handgun) caliber that you can find ammo for.
    Eye and ear protection and handgun of your choice. $12.50 for range fee and $1.50 total for three targets (I think), maybe less.
    This is for fun and fellowship.
    We will see how it developes over time and may have a (free standing) rifle shoot in the future.

The targets will be NRA B2 and B3 at least for now or untill/if we run out, more are ordered.

We will be shooting at 50 feet (16.5 yards).

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Good luck with this venture. I am teaching a class this time, but perphaps next time it will work out.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Good luck with this venture. I am teaching a class this time, but perphaps next time it will work out.

Well I have considered a daytime shoot for those on the second or third shift.
    If we can get a few together I'll give it a try, let me know if you want it guys and girls.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    It was nice meeting you sir. I had a good time. could'nt hit the side of a barn with a paint brush but it was a pretty good time.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm getting ready to order targets for HHRP when I order alot I get a pretty big discount,

PM me if you want in

Btw why did you deviate so much from the NMC course,
    5 rounds in 5 minutes 2 times
    5 rounds in 20 seconds 2 times
    5 rounds in 10 seconds 2 times
    for a total of 30 rounds

Just offering to help to save money on the targets

Top Bottom