• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I was at a thrift store today and I saw a compound bow fairly cheap. I passed it up because I do not know much. It looked to be in decent shape. It had some finish wear, but nothing looked too serious.

What should I look for?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    1) Does if fit you? What is your draw length and can this bow be adjusted to fit your DL?

2) If it is more than 2-3 years old it will need a new string and possibly new cables. Costs you about $200.00 for both.

3) Make and model would help if you remember what it was.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    1) Does if fit you? What is your draw length and can this bow be adjusted to fit your DL?

2) If it is more than 2-3 years old it will need a new string and possibly new cables. Costs you about $200.00 for both.

^^^
    THIS

The most important thing is that it fits you, and that its comfortable. It can save you alot of time and money to just do it right at a shop.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010

Thanks, that tells me to stay away, unless I want to spend about $200 more on it. It was $30 and it is fairly old. It may be a decent buy, but I am not even a novice. If any one is interested, (and it is still there) it was at the Goodwill south Indy on 135. I am not sure what brand it was.

It is 60, but today it is 50% off.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Bad idea for a noob to buy a used bow from strangers...all kinds of hidden problems, and some
    can hurt or kill you. Buy from a trusted friend or reputable bow shop that might warranty or at
    least have some liability for knowing the bow was bad. Or save your money and buy new.
    Last years model might be on the clearance rack.

Shootmore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I would also suggest that if you are new to the game go to a good archery pro shop.
    Give them your price range .They will be able to provide a good fit for your needs.Many of them sell used bows too. And you can learn alot by hanging out at the shop and be able to shoot and try out the bows on their target ranges before you buy

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    If you are looking for something to launch an arrow in a SHTF situation. I'd buy a crossbow. Preferably an older recurve Horton. They aren't any quieter than a compound bow but they are much , much easier to shoot well with no practice.
    You can get bolts at walmart.

Top Bottom