• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Maybe, but I still don't know if I'm comfortable with that. We all know it can only take one moment of stupidity for a lifetime of regret.

Still thinking about that one.

Unlocked worries me. I went with a vault that has 4 finger pads and a key. I place the key in the slot at night and an extra set on the night stand. In the morning both keys go to a safe place. Maybe not much different than the unlocked scenario... I can get to it surprisingly fast in this state. A couple of years ago we had a full glass shower door randomly explode one morning about 5am. Sounded like someone had come through the bathroom window. I was in the bathroom doorway in my BVD's with the snubbie in seconds. :draw:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I always use the same combination on all my electronic safes, I have been using it for years even on safes that I no longer have.
    I typed it so many times, at various hours of the night and day, that it has become second nature to me.
    There is no way I can forget it.

Good job identifying your "target" before you did anything, that shows that shooting through your door because your heard a noise is not always the best solution.

Also like others have said, keep your gun unlocked while around you (on your person or under your direct control) and lock it when you go out or go to bed.

Keep a good flaslight around you to identify any possible threat at night.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    When I bought my safe I bought a key lock and dial for these reasons. I just want the mechanical that will not fail rather than electronic. Most times I have the combo set and the dial locked with the key. Then when I need to get to it quick I pull my key from it's hiding place and I can quickly open the lock without fumbling.

I also have a 45 mounted under the top of my nightstand where it cannot be seen. However, all I have to do is move my hand to the right from my sleeping position and I have the 45. When I am away from the house the 45 goes in the safe.

My kids are 14, 18 and 20 now but when they were younger I personally would not leave the guns where the kids could get them NO MATTER how much I feel that I have trained them. I personally am not going to ever chance it.

I liked Kirk Freemans easy solutions of lights and a doorbell. I installed motion sensor lights at the back of my house and on the garage side. But remember, you are in a locked house and you do not NEED to go outside if there is a chance of that much danger. You could simply get prepared for someone to break in and call the police while you wait. In my opinion, it is worth a call to the police if someone is pounding on the back of your house at night rather than on a door.

Good for you for evaluating your reactions and for making needed adjustments.

Last edited:

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My kids are 14, 18 and 20 now but when they were younger I personally would not leave the guns where the kids could get them NO MATTER how much I feel that I have trained them. I personally am not going to ever chance it.

That's really how I feel. I always err on the side of safety when dealing with firearms. I might go with the key idea from another Ingo'er. We'll see.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    Finally I just say screw it, and run to the gun cabinet to get my LCP. Not my first choice, but by this time I was just trying to hurry.

the gun cabinet was easy to get into and load the pistol?

#3: I need a better gun as a backup if I'm unable to get in my gun vault. I didn't feel too comfortable with just my LCP.

don't know what primary gun was, but you could have an identical gun as backup.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    the gun cabinet was easy to get into and load the pistol?

Yes, the cabinet is in the closet with the key stashed close by. Then it was just insert the mag and rack the slide.:yesway:

don't know what primary gun was, but you could have an identical gun as backup.

The one by the bed in the gun vault is a .357 Mag 6 shot. Don't really plan on getting another one of those. Maybe a .45.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Kudos to you for a solid after-action report and self evaluation! It's tough when a well thought out plan of action blows up on you in an adreniline fogged event.

Hopefully you never have to face a situation like that again, but if you do I would bet my lungs that you'll be spot on in your response.

Rep inbound!

areyale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    One of the best defense at home is CCTV. I've got 4-Channel CCTV installed at home for less than $500. Motion sensor, infrared, 24/7 recording and you can view it online PC or phone when your away.

Top Bottom