• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wormhauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Tipton
    Was a young guy, just starting to shoot handguns. I did not have one of my own yet, was shooting a friends.

He had a loading setup and dies for 357 magnum.

We had had several good reloads, wadcutters punching holes in paper.

After a while I shot at the target and swore no bullet came out. I then looked in the barell and found the bullet was lodged in it. Very glad I did not shoot a good load after that. Did i say i was young then? Of course I had no eye protection.

Turns out our powder measure had gotten some moisture in it and we were not getting all the powder in that we thought.

Lesson learned: Weigh a sample of powder periodically.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Or better yet run a digital scale, tare the case, charge it, weigh, and repeat the process with every round.

I will not have blind faith in any powder measure, and I've seen too many people learn the hard way.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Was a young guy, just starting to shoot handguns. I did not have one of my own yet, was shooting a friends.

He had a loading setup and dies for 357 magnum.

We had had several good reloads, wadcutters punching holes in paper.

After a while I shot at the target and swore no bullet came out. I then looked in the barell and found the bullet was lodged in it. Very glad I did not shoot a good load after that. Did i say i was young then? Of course I had no eye protection.

Turns out our powder measure had gotten some moisture in it and we were not getting all the powder in that we thought.

Lesson learned: Weigh a sample of powder periodically.

That's why you should invest $10 and pick up a reloading block, a tray that holds charges cases. Throw 50 charges, inspect the power level to see that they are all the same, (shinning a flashlight in the case works great) then seat the bullets. Once you do it a few times under or overcharges are easy to spot

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I have been checking my cases at least 3 times when I reload.

First check is after I throw the charge from the powder measure. (funnel, weighing every 5th round)
    Next check is after I get a box of 50 charged. Examine all cases to make sure powder level is the same in each.
    Third check is as I pick up each shell to seat a bullet.

I don't use a fancy reloading tray, but a plastic tray from a blazer box works good for me. Primed/Flared cases get pulled from a bin, charged through a funnel, then inspected and placed into the tray gently. It's not too difficult to pick the charged cases up out of the tray. Stand a stronger chance of spilling powder by dropping them into the tray too hard after charging. (Only happened once so far, and I scrapped the whole tray of charges because of it. :( )

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    That's why you should invest $10 and pick up a reloading block, a tray that holds charges cases. Throw 50 charges, inspect the power level to see that they are all the same, (shinning a flashlight in the case works great) then seat the bullets. Once you do it a few times under or overcharges are easy to spot

I tare my loading tray with cases on my balance (yes it is quite high capacity) and not a balance dedicated for only reloading. Then use an accurate powder measure to put powder in all 50 cases (I like the Little Dandy or the Saeco I have. Inspect with a pen light. Weigh again and make sure the total weight gain makes sense (no double charges or half charges). I worry more about the double charges when loading Bullseye for my old 38 Special Colt Officers Revolver.

Top Bottom