• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    My son is 8 and my daughter is 5. They're both at about the same level of responsibility, listening to instructions, and following rules.
    I've been doing some casual shooting with them using my Benjamin-Sheridan .22 pellet gun.
    The good sides of this: it's quiet and doesn't kick or scare them. I like the lead pellet ammo because they don't bounce around and ricochet like BB's.
    The down sides: the length of pull is probably the right size for a 12 year old kid, still too big for an 8 and 5 year old. So they aren't really holding the gun properly.
    Not sure good or bad: the pump is too hard for them to operate. I am thinking this maybe good, because it basically means they can't shoot the thing without my supervision.

I would appreciate some suggestions for a smaller long gun for them, preferably an air rifle shooting pellets.

At this point, they are really just learning the safety rules and some rudimentary marksmanship basics. But it would be nice to have a gun they can do more with.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My son graduated quickly from an air gun to a .22 rimfire. He started with a crossman pellet gun at 4, and a year later upgraded to a cricket. He's 9 now and shoots a .22 bolt action repeater and a .44 mag handi rifle.

All kids are different, but with proper teaching and supervision, most kids do fine with a .22 rimfire. Once most kids shoot a .22, air rifles seem boring in comparison. If a rimfire is out of the question, and you are set on an air rifle, shop around for an adjustable stock model or get a pellet gun with a short LOP. An 8 or 5 year old will have a hard time pumping most pellet guns, though, unless you find something with CO2 cartridges.:twocents:

BTW: Good on ya for getting the kids into shooting.:yesway:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't have personally experience with this gun, but I believe it is based on the regular Crosman 10 pump BB gun, and just has an "M4" shell on it. It would have an adjustable stock, and a rail if you wanted to add a red-dot or scope. And it would be a way to (sorta) learn the M4/AR15 platform if you have those.

Amazon.com: Crosman M4-177 Pneumatic Pump Air Rifle (.177): Sports & Outdoors

411DvdLmnoL._SL1500_.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't have personally experience with this gun, but I believe it is based on the regular Crosman 10 pump BB gun, and just has an "M4" shell on it. It would have an adjustable stock, and a rail if you wanted to add a red-dot or scope. And it would be a way to (sorta) learn the M4/AR15 platform if you have those.

411DvdLmnoL._SL1500_.jpg

That's cool! I don't remember anything like that when I was young.

OP: most folks on here probably learned the basics on a .22 rimfire after BB guns and what-not. I sure did and to this day I look back on those days and the memories that were made.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County

411DvdLmnoL._SL1500_.jpg

Yup! These would be good trainers. It shoots up to 600 fps with the max 10 pumps, and one can use either BBs or lead pellets. Once it is sighted in, it is very accurate. And, it's not very expensive.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There is always the Cricket .22 bolt action and the Savage Rascal .22 bolt action. The Cricket can be had at Wal-Mart for $109.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I would recommend stepping up to the Cricket. It is a .22lr single shot bolt. If you get CCI Quiet bullets, it is quiet enough to not scare anyone. I got my granddaughters one last year. They are now 5 and 8 and love shooting it.

When you are not using it, the bolt is easily removed or there is a built in lock that stops the bolt from being able to close.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Redtbird (or whomever knows) - is this thing hard to pump for a kid? It doesn't look like you would have a lot of mechanical advantage with the short length of the handguard/pump lever.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Redtbird (or whomever knows) - is this thing hard to pump for a kid? It doesn't look like you would have a lot of mechanical advantage with the short length of the handguard/pump lever.

I know that as a kid I shot my cousins BB gun (The gun the one I posted is based on) and I don't remember it being extremely hard to pump, at first. With each pump it gets harder and harder to pump it and by the time you reach 10 pumps it is pretty hard to do from what I remember.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I know that as a kid I shot my cousins BB gun (The gun the one I posted is based on) and I don't remember it being extremely hard to pump, at first. With each pump it gets harder and harder to pump it and by the time you reach 10 pumps it is pretty hard to do from what I remember.

After you get past five pumps it starts to 'tighten up'. For starting out, shooting at maybe 25 feet, four or five pumps should work fairly well. I never went over eight as I was shooting indoors and at a max of 25 feet.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Yup! These would be good trainers. It shoots up to 600 fps with the max 10 pumps, and one can use either BBs or lead pellets. Once it is sighted in, it is very accurate. And, it's not very expensive.

OK, I just got one of these today. Slapped an inexpensive red dot on it, and wow. This thing is fun. Holds a very nice group at 25 feet with most of the shots touching. That is with three pumps, which I think he'll easily be able to do. I think my son is going to be a very, very happy kid on Christmas morning ;-)

Does anywhere in town have extra pellet clips?

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    OK, I just got one of these today. Slapped an inexpensive red dot on it, and wow. This thing is fun. Holds a very nice group at 25 feet with most of the shots touching. That is with three pumps, which I think he'll easily be able to do. I think my son is going to be a very, very happy kid on Christmas morning ;-)

Does anywhere in town have extra pellet clips?

Good to hear it's doing good for ya.

You could order clips through Walmart's website if they don't have them in stock at your local Walmart: Crosman Clips , Firepow'r 5-Shot - Walmart.com

Or get the same thing on Amazon, but they are an add-on item(The Add-on program allows Amazon to offer thousands of low-priced items that would be cost-prohibitive to ship on their own. These items ship with qualifying orders over $25): Amazon.com: Firepow'r 5-Shot Pellet Clips: Sports & Outdoors

Also available straight from Crosman, but they are the most expensive of the 3 choices I found: Crosman | Gear | Clips & Loaders | Firepow'r Kit

Top Bottom