• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    So I got my new Ruger LCP .380, and I am tying to learn the ropes with gun care and safety. Been learning alot but there is always more to learn. So any advice and help would be great. Looking to get in the future, a 22 LR (maybe ruger or remington), a shotgun (probably a mosberg 20 ga.) and an AR. Really getting into this, and loving it!

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thank you Indecision (ie my main squeeze) for your welcome you monster. :)

Well I haven't got enough ammo to go shooting yet,I would love to go but need to stockpile enough to put amount of rounds through. Right now I just have enough for home defense. I am practicing loading with snap caps and racking the slide, racking the slide I have huge amounts of difficulty with on any gun. I think it may come down to just practice. .380 ammo is extremely hard to come by right now. :(

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Even with .40, 9mm and sometimes .45 appearing on the shelves .380 seems to be no where to be found. I think the caliber is making a comeback by way of a lot of new shooters starting out with a .380.

I don't have any advice to give you on your new Ruger. The only .380 I ever owned was a Loricin. The only useable instructions for that pistol was: fire until weapon jams (usually the 2nd or 3rd shot), throw weapon at target.

:welcome:to:ingo:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Since no one else said it yet, have you taken a class?

In the mean time go to Kathy Jackson's website Cornered Cat She does a good job of explaining proper techniques.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    No, I just worked with her before I left. I think we are gonna try to take the Basic NRA Pistol class in January when I'm home on leave (a refresher never hurts). And we have friends she's going to go shooting with down in NC that have TONS of experience, so she'll be alright till I'm home.

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    First day shooting the Ruger LCP .380. Liked it had no problems with it jamming. Only real problem I have is getting the slide stop to move up. I had a guy at the range open it so I could pre-clean the new gun. Was safe, observed all the important rules on gun handling. It was a good experience and would post pictures but have not figured out how to do that really on a forum yet. My groupings seem pretty wide, but out of 55 shots I kept all on the paper and quasi near the target spot I was shooting at. Still need lots of practice, which will be slow in coming as I have only 150 rounds to go through right now and I am trying to pace myself in general.

One small issue I found. Not really a huge problem but the slide did not always want to go back all the way flush after I racked it (happened about 1/8 the time). Not sure what is up with that, but after I shot it, it seems to do well. Sights are hard to get accostomed to. Still has me itching to get a Springfield .40 Calxdm eventually...loved that gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Keep us posted on your results. I'm looking for a small, concealable weapon and am leaning toward the LCP. I am interested to see how you like it.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    When chambering the first round I have found that you need to fully pull back the slide and release it cleanly at full pull to get the first round to fully chamber. If you let the slide go gently it will not chamber the round well. Also you might find that adding Pearce grip extensions take the torque out of shooting the LCP. They allow you to place your ring finger on the grip for better stability. They are available here.
    Elsie Pea Store - Pearce PG-LCP. Good luck and keep us posted.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    When chambering the first round I have found that you need to fully pull back the slide and release it cleanly at full pull to get the first round to fully chamber. If you let the slide go gently it will not chamber the round well. Also you might find that adding Pearce grip extensions take the torque out of shooting the LCP. They allow you to place your ring finger on the grip for better stability. They are available here.
    Elsie Pea Store - Pearce PG-LCP. Good luck and keep us posted.
    This is right. You can't believe how much having the extra grip does. And yes on chambering it to. Glad you're liking the gun. And welcome to INgo

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    She has a Ruger and Promag 6rnd with the extended finger deal (honestly more for me than her), but till we get her CC holster and we can see how it sits and easy to conceal it is, we want her to shoot as we plan for her to carry it. Practice as you're gonna perform for real.

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well here is the good news, I finally have learned to rack the slide better. Still not amazing at it but learning. Great news is with this link my man found me it became easy to use the slide stop too!! Double yeah! Anyway haven't gone shooting since the last time, but because ammo is a rare commodity it seems I am trying to go every two to three weeks. Hopefully my accuracy will improve alot over the next few months as I have always wanted to be a crack shot (what can I say a girl can dream). Sorry still no pictures of my target practice, but I guess I am not allowed to do attachments on here yet.

THIS WAS AWESOME
    http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

People had said this link would be good, and Indecision gave me the link, and I LOVE it, learned so much. Now all I have yet to learn is how to take apart my gun and clean it...which I am doing tonight (I am confident that I won't break it...and although the directions look easy it also looks like I could lose a little part somehow).

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    Help/advice is needed. Took .38 Lcp apart just fine, cleaned it according to directions...felt very proud and excited to be able to clean my own gun. Here is where my plea for help comes in...I can't get the takedown pin back in. I am struggling here. Don't quite know what to do. Is this common?

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ok just an update, fixed the problem got the takedown pin in just took a little more wiggling and conniving then I thought should be necessary. Gun is all cleaned, lightly oiled and ready for my next shooting day in another week :) ...really want to go right now but I am trying to conserve ammo.

Top Bottom