• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So I've been into the shooting sports for the better part of 8 years, but haven't been hunting. I'm interested in learning to deer hunt, but don't know where to start! Generally, one advises another and gets them into hunting. However, my only contact into hunting is a state away. Any advice on getting started?

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Go do it. That's about the best advice I could give you. You can read for hours on deer hunting (and I probably would if I were you) but until you get out and do it not much of that will make sense. Trial by fire kind of learning so to speak

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    The tough thing to do is to find private land to hunt. However, this link will take you to and describe public hunting lands in the state. Public Hunting Land in Indiana

Yes, read up on hunting and also watch you tube videos, etc. You'll need to know what to do once you make the kill, how to field dress, what to do with tags, etc. If I were you, I'd start on a smaller scale, maybe start with small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc). Maybe do some Turkey or Upland Bird Hunting (which you can do put and take), and then work up to deer. Find a buddy near you who does hunt, maybe someone at work, etc.....who can take you out and at least show you the basics.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I'm in a similar boat. I've been trying to teach myself to deer hunt for the last few years. I've been learning the hard way. Here's what I've learned so far...

1) Toughest part is to figure out exactly where the deer are or will be. I'm uncertain about the potential deer tracks and signs I'm seeing. So buy yourself a trail cam. It will help to tell you if what you are reading is correct.
    2) After it snows, go out and look for tracks. It may not help you this year but should help you next year.
    3) Especially on public land, skip the tree stands. Too many people want to trash your stuff for their own enjoyment or to try to get you not to hunt there. I've been hunting from a pop up blind. Easy up and easy down.
    4) If you eventually do ever go to tree stands, do a ladder stand. They are safer. Don't do a separate ladder and hang on stand. I tried it last year and ended up falling off the ladder and breaking my leg in 2 places.
    5) Watch lots and lots of Youtube videos on deer scouting, hunting, and harvesting. Read as much as you can find it as well. Indiana DNR even has Youtube videos on some of it.
    6) Topo maps help to figure out where potential areas are. Deer, like humans, prefer to take the path of least resistance when moving through the woods.
    7) Since you can shoot a gun, go hunting with a crossbow. It's an easy transition, don't take much practice compared to a bow, and being the archery season you have 3 months to try and get a successful hunt vs the 2 weeks you have for firearm.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    By far, the most successful basic technique is to get a tree stand to put yourself above a deer's normal sight line and to give yourself a better vantage point from which to spot them.
    A good ground blind would be the best alternative option if tree stands are not to your liking.
    If you hunt on public land, there are some regulations on how to use either structure in Indiana.
    Camo is highly recommended, preferably some long johns, probably two pairs of heavy wool socks, good boots, at least one solid orange clothing item (hat, vest, or jacket), heavy gloves, and (of course) a heavy coat.
    Handwarmers and footwarmers are also a good idea.
    One of the reed-type deer calls can sometimes be helpful (I successfully used mine to make a doe pause long enough to allow a clean shot), and some folks swear by the various bottled scents to help mask your own natural odor or to entice a buck in rut.
    Some folks still hunt, but most successful hunts come from patience and a willingness to sit silently for hours on end.
    One major change in Indiana that will take effect when firearms season starts on November 12 is that you will be allowed to use a rifle with a bore diameter of either .243 or .308, as long as the case length is at least 1.16", you carry no more than ten rounds on your person, and if you are on private land only.
    That last change allows such rifles as those chambered in .243 Winchester, .240 Weatherby Magnum, 6mm Remington, .30-30 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, 7.62x39mm, and 78.62x54R.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Find a patch of White oaks. This year like 2014 the acorn crop is huge. Get a climbing stick and a lock on or climber stand. Use a life line to stay connected from the ground up. Safety harness when you are situated in the stand.
    Hunt the wind.
    Get book, "Mapping trophy whitetails" by Brad Herndon, explains using topo maps for hunting.
    GO HUNT!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Best success starts with finding a place to hunt and then getting to know the ground.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    do you need a tag or something to hunt deer?

I am in the same boat here. I am also from IL when I came of age to hunt. Pop hunted but we never got along well enough for me to go. I am also disabled so I may well hope to just get someone who hunted and try for some of their venison. I have gotten last year's meat from some folks before so maybe this is best. :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've been waffling on this very topic. Now that .30-30 is legal, I have a proper deer rifle. Just don't have a place, any other gear, or any idea what to do! No plans to turn into a die-hard hunter. But, adding a deer to the freezer each year, and learning new skill, both seem pretty valuable.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Get used to gross guts and bad smells and blood up to your elbows. Learn how to keep knives sharp. It took me and a buddy 11 hours to process two deer, and it was hard work. Beforehand there is scouting, sighting in, more scouting, reading things like "Hunting the Rut," possible trailcam work, range practice, and putting off car repair/home repair/date nights/camping trips to do more of the above. Killing it is just one of many steps, and possibly the easiest, depending on your situation.

And beware of what orange you use. I have seen deer spot the wrong type of orange and run away. This stuff actually works:
    How to check camo and orange for UV GLOW

http://www.atsko.com/u-v-killer-treated-blaze-orange-vest/

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Lot of good advice. I guess I'll thrown in my two cents, most of the big outdoors magazines like field and stream or outdoor life have more of their articles online and you can glean concepts and suggestions from them. To be fair sometimes what they do doesn't apply to who I am or how I hunt but I have learned a lot over the years from them. Second suggestion would be to just go out there and do it. Don't do it on the day a snowstorm is moving in, pick a mild day get the appropriate tags ahead of time. Read and re read the regs. Pack a daypack and go out and sit on a log until shooing lift ends provided you're comfortable hiking back to your vehicle in the dark. As always remember the three rules.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP here, except i plan on doing some squirrel hunting. I figured it would be better to post here in this thread rather than make a new one that's about the same topic. I've never been hunting before and want to get a feel for this before moving up to deer hunting. I was thinking about trying out Wilbur Wright just to get a feel for what it's like out there and such and then maybe move to other areas of IN once i get comfortable and gain knowledge through being in the outdoors and by reading up.

Top Bottom