• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I recently saw an article on the WBIW website about Welding training. It's through Wagler Education.
    I called and it's usually free to someone without a college education.
    $3k if you don't qualify for the no-cost option.
    They have an agreement with (??) that those that earn certification are allowed to join the Union.

April class is full. Lots of interest in the June class.
    She recommend filling out the form online if interested.
    also list CDL, CNC, CNA, EMT, and Bus Driving.
    I don't know anything about Wagler other than the info above.
    Hope it's ok to post that info here. I think I remember a younger guy asking about employment options not long ago.
    Maybe this info will benefit someone.

Also... does anyone know of other welding training in the Lawrence/Jackson Co area?
    I'm not sure I want to pay $3K for what will be personal/hobby welding.
    I guess that there is potential to do some welding as a side gig, but don't really have the time for that currently.

Thanks

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The other choice is buying a welder and equipment and watching some YouTube. Stick welders that will serve a hobbyist well are pretty inexpensive and decent multi-process welders can be had for around $500. I don't think you would want to weld all day every day with one, but for hobby stuff, they are pretty good.

I bought a 120/240v multi-process welder about 6 months ago. My son has used it with stick and flux core and it's worked pretty good on 120v...until we get 240v in the garage.

My son is also finishing up welding school He is already certified in SMAW and will be certified in GMAW, FCAW and GTAW when he finishes in a few weeks. It cost considerably more that the $3k you quoted, but still a bargain in my book (after having paid for 2 kids to get bachelor degrees and one half-way through one).

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Thanks for the input.

I had some Gas and Stick weld classes in High School, 40 years ago.
    Bought a ~$500 PrimeWeld MIG/Stick not long ago.

lot of good YouTube videos to get started, and that is my plan for learning MIG flux core. : )

After learning about the training I was curious as to what was available.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I recently saw an article on the WBIW website about Welding training. It's through Wagler Education.
    They have an agreement with (??) that those that earn certification are allowed to join the Union.

Hope it's ok to post that info here. I think I remember a younger guy asking about employment options not long ago.

Also... does anyone know of other welding training in the Lawrence/Jackson Co area?
    I guess that there is potential to do some welding as a side gig, but don't really have the time for that currently.

Thanks
    IvyTech has classes and cert programs.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I learned on the farm. Then I got a small 110 klutch welder for little stuff at home. Like everyone has said. Get a welder and YouTube.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Sorry, no suggestions on where to go for it but will definitely encourage it with: nobody in the history of humanity has ever said "I wish I never learned to weld"

I highly recommend learning (at least trying) gas, arc, and flux-core... so you can appreciate when people say MIG is like a hot glue gun for steel.

If you don't want to spend 3k, watch youtube, read a book, or heck even just read the manual. Like most of what I do, I've just kinda been doing it forever. I've always been handy, took shop in high school which was good and bad... didn't get that much instruction because I could be left alone and not worry about blowing the shop up. Did tech theatre in college which was a lot of ballparking and overbuilding rather than the time to really learn the specifics. Didn't do as much welding in college 2 for automotive. Been doing it on and off on the side since.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Up in northern Indiana, Lots of people have learned to weld on the job. I've had to train many partners and even a supervisor. Yep they hire people for welding jobs that has never welded or let people boss welders that can't weld themselves. crazy isn't it. lol

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I initially learned at Ivy Tech. Not cheap.

My son learned at DOC trades program. Yeah I said it. He didn't learn the crime life from me. It found him. Anyhoo, they have anti-recidivism program. I told him he should've learned how to write code and go to the IT program they offered. He would've made 6 figures first year. Stupid kid wanted to weld like I do sometimes.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I am an expert at soldering, never created a cold solder joint.

My sticking point with welding is to accurately identify the material/alloy. Not sure how important or sensitive it is and I know you can learn much from grinding and observing the sparks pattern. I think I would be good at TIG welding aluminum since it resembles soldering, just at much higher temps. I have a buddy with a multi-function MIG unit, I may try some practice this spring. He welded up this adapter I designed for my leaf vac to fit the Hustler. Not pretty but works.
    1710289769700.png

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Join the Pipefitters union they will teach you to weld.
    As an apprentice you will make less, but after you will make good money, usually $40 plus an hour, and if your a rig welder (your own welder in your own truck) you'll get rig pay on top of it.
    All of that info is for Gas Distribution.
    25 yr pipefitter here. I strictly work with plastic (fusion) and make damn good money. If your a welder and willing to fuse (same union) most places will be glad to have you.
    PM me if you have any questions

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The man that taught me how to weld was a U.S. Naval instructor.
    He taught stick, mig, and oxygen/acetylene torch welding.

I watched this guy roll up a piece of tinfoil into a rod and use an oxy/acetylene torch to weld together two pieces of tinfoil.
    The guy was amazing.

They even have plastic welding now using hot air and a plastic filler rod, much like hot glue guns.

My cousin calls herself a "welder", but she's really a machine operator.
    She sits in an air-conditioned booth and pushes buttons to robotically weld together furnace cabinets.

There are welders, there are wire-burners, and people who never learned how.
    It's not hard, but it does take practice.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Thanks
    Are you going to buy a welder for a home/hobby?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Join the Pipefitters union they will teach you to weld.
    As an apprentice you will make less, but after you will make good money, usually $40 plus an hour, and if your a rig welder (your own welder in your own truck) you'll get rig pay on top of it.
    All of that info is for Gas Distribution.
    25 yr pipefitter here. I strictly work with plastic (fusion) and make damn good money. If your a welder and willing to fuse (same union) most places will be glad to have you.
    PM me if you have any questions
    This right here. Retired Union Elevator man here.
    If your going to take and pay for classes make damn sure you learn all three processes and come out with a few certs at the end. Like structural and pressure / sanitary pipe.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I am an expert at soldering, never created a cold solder joint.

My sticking point with welding is to accurately identify the material/alloy. Not sure how important or sensitive it is and I know you can learn much from grinding and observing the sparks pattern. I think I would be good at TIG welding aluminum since it resembles soldering, just at much higher temps. I have a buddy with a multi-function MIG unit, I may try some practice this spring. He welded up this adapter I designed for my leaf vac to fit the Hustler. Not pretty but works.
    View attachment 339611
    It's an endless learning program with a tig torch. Just learning how to set up some machines is an adventure in itself.

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    Just as an fyi, everyone saying mig isn't hard is correct. However, if you want to be a good enough to be a structural welder it is rather difficult. Not unmanageable by any means, but YouTube won't cut it because videos can't correct your mistakes and test coupons to show where you're messing up. Voids/porosity/poor fusion are all extremely common in welds that would hold up to people jumping on them. It doesn't take a lot to hold metal together in such a way that it'll do what the average guy needs, but it will not for instance, hold together a forklift.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I initially learned at Ivy Tech. Not cheap.

My son learned at DOC trades program. Yeah I said it. He didn't learn the crime life from me. It found him. Anyhoo, they have anti-recidivism program. I told him he should've learned how to write code and go to the IT program they offered. He would've made 6 figures first year. Stupid kid wanted to weld like I do sometimes.
    Either way he turned lemons into lemonade and obtained a valuable skill. No shame in that. Regardless of his poor choices in life I respect him for bettering himself through the program for what worked for him. (even though I'm in that IT track myself)
    With the right skills in specialized welding, he could very well outpace me annually in regards to income.

And education is key. I learned secondhand when I asked our very own @igotdiesel2 to weld some galvanized plates to reinforce a tiller depth thingie, that you cant weld galvanized metal and walk away without some serious health issues. He graciously substituted some spare mild steel plates and fixed me up.

Top Bottom