• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Recently I bought a tan leather Galco holster for my full size 1911. This being my first leather I followed the break in directions ie plastic bags. After several baggy attempts it's still way to tight, now on to the question, can heat:xmad: be applied with a blow drier or oil or something be used to loosen this holster up a little, or a lot for that matter.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    That little angry face wasn't supposed to be there but my phone isn't playing nice for the moment

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've always heard not to use any kind of oil on leather. I've had good luck just using water and sometimes hammering out a thumb strap that's too tight

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I followed the break in directions ie plastic bags. After several baggy attempts

Please describe what you did, and length of time...

Also, do not apply anything with softening agents (Mink, Neetsfoot, etc.), especially if the leather is molded.
    If you break down the leather, it will become TOO loose in the time it would have naturally broken in...and that's a point you can't return from. Might as well trash it.

sly14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I have always been told by the old time leo's the best way to loosen and break in a new holster, is simply to sit at home and draw and reholster continuesly.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Please describe what you did, and length of time...

Also, do not apply anything with softening agents (Mink, Neetsfoot, etc.), especially if the leather is molded.
    If you break down the leather, it will become TOO loose in the time it would have naturally broken in...and that's a point you can't return from. Might as well trash it.

I wrapped the pistola in 2 bags, slid said pistol into the holster until properly seated and twisted per the directions. Now the directions said to twist about an 1/8", the first 2 times I did that, after the 4th time frustration had set in and I'd say I twisted about an inch the last time. After all that, if I push and I do mean push the pistol until proper seat, i have to really jerk to get it out of the holster. I have 4 other holsters but none leather, I knew it had some break in but didn't think it would take that much.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I wrapped the pistola in 2 bags, slid said pistol into the holster until properly seated and twisted per the directions. Now the directions said to twist about an 1/8", the first 2 times I did that, after the 4th time frustration had set in and I'd say I twisted about an inch the last time. After all that, if I push and I do mean push the pistol until proper seat, i have to really jerk to get it out of the holster. I have 4 other holsters but none leather, I knew it had some break in but didn't think it would take that much.

OK, I think I might see part of the problem. The advice to "wrap"...are you literally wrapping layers around the firearm? Because you shouldn't need to do that...just drop it in a WalMart bag (single ply) and fully holster it. Then leave it alone. I'm not even sure what all this "twisting" stuff is...

The most stubborn leather I've contended with was a dual mag holder. The mags wouldn't even go 3/4 of the way, and when they did, good luck getting the mags back OUT.
    Yeah, the plastic bag method works for that, too.
    I think I left it two or three full days to stretch.

Can you take a few pictures of what you're trying?

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I'll try the Walmart bag, ya I was using 2 bags not that the directions told me to but I was trying not to shred the bag, sooo I double bagged it. The twisting was in the Galco directions, just seat, grip and twist a little. It didn't work all that well, but the question on the INGO should have gave that away.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Put the gun in a bag, then into the holster. Twist a little, as per the Galco instructions. Leave it in the holster overnight. Tomorrow, take the gun out of the bag and see if it will fully seat. If not, repeat with the bag overnight. Once it seats fully it will still be tight, but will loosen up after you practice some draws from it. I have several Galco holsters and have done this with them all. I really like the Stinger holsters for my G19 and G26. I also did this for a Summer Comfort I used to carry one of my 1911s in.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I like the comfort of the leather, I think I'm gunna ditch some of the hard plastic holsters, or at least push them off to the side for a while.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I put the pistol in a bag and put that in the holster. Let it sit for a day or so. remove and then holster and reholster the pistol several times. If still to tight put the pistol back into the bag and let it sit another day. I'd rather have a tight fit than a fit that is to loose. Leather will break in nicely over use and time. I only use leather and really hate all the plastic and man made materials used in some holsters. :twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know of two things to break in a new leather holster.

One is the baggy overnight that several people have already mentioned.

Two is putting a nylon stocking over it and drawing and reholstering about 30-60 times with the holster on the belt as it will be worn. After 30ish, take the stocking off and see if the holster allows a smooth presentation. If its still tight or has a rough spot, repeat.

The baggy stretches it, the nylon stocking smooths it and protects the finish on your gun while you are working the leather.

Top Bottom