• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Horsehide, its super long wearing, molds to the body, its cooler in the summertime, it absorbes moisture and all around is much more comfortable.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    I prefer Kydex as well.

Built correctly, they are comfortable, lighter, don't absorb moisture, usually much easier to re-holster and generally less expensive (all things being equal).

Plus, I like making them :D

Walther_PPS_holster_1.jpg

1911_Holster_1.jpg

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've switched to all kydex now. There's arguments for both. But I sweat like a pig and like that kydex doesn't absorb any of it. I also like the positive audible and tactile "click" when holstering that a good kydex holster has.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    A good kydex holster is molded to you anyway, So I prefer the advantages it has lighter weight, non moisture retaining and the like. Plus kydex does not need a retention strap like allot of leather does, that being said I am looking into a Miami Classic shoulder holster for my 1911.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Leather if you like your guns finish

But what happens when dirt/grit get into a leather holster? It stays in there, that's what. And it'll abrade finish quite easily.

What happens when dirt/grit get into a kydex holster? You wipe it out and go on about your day.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    How about both? I think the hybrid holsters are comfortable to wear.

concealed-carry-holster_515_1_3_1_1048.jpg

Or kydex and something similar to leather, although I do think the leather will hold up longer than this other material, though this substitute is thinner and more comfortable/breathable than leather.

concealed-carry-holster_515_1_3_1_1534.jpg

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I don't care much for all leather holsters that stay open. They are so bulky compared to an all kydex/hybrid style holster.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Leather for me. More comfortable, I like the way it moves and conforms with me. It all depends on how and where you are carrying. I AIWB, kydex doesn't work for me.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to try a hybrid. I have a light weight leather IWB that I don't like. If I holster after putting my pants on, the slide on my shield will open. So, I always holster the gun before getting dressed. My Alien IWB is on its way. The kydex will stay open when inserting the gun, plus I do like the click as the gun seats in position.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I'm going to try a hybrid. I have a light weight leather IWB that I don't like. If I holster after putting my pants on, the slide on my shield will open. So, I always holster the gun before getting dressed. My Alien IWB is on its way. The kydex will stay open when inserting the gun, plus I do like the click as the gun seats in position.

This can happen with almost any gun that doesn't have a thumb safety that locks the slide closed. Purely from the friction of the holster on the slide of the gun. The reason this happens is because you are holstering the gun WRONG. Simple fix is put your thumb over the back of the slide when holstering. With my 1911 there is no worry if my gun is in battery or not. Every time I holster it will stay locked in battery. There is never that doubt in my mind if I have to draw I don't have to worry about the slide not being in battery.

Top Bottom